email: roadarch@outlook.com

Ohio Signs (page 4)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Frostie Drive Inn
Sabina, OH
Endres & Gross Flowers & Gifts
Salem, OH
Maples Motel
Sandusky, OH
The Frostie Drive Inn has apparently been reworked and most likely had neon originally. This photo is from 2009. By 2012, a digital sign had been placed over the message board. By 2015, Frostie had closed and the digital sign was removed. [map]

Endres & Gross Flowers & Gifts is closed but this sign remains as of 2013. The sign is probably from the 1940s or 1950s. [map]

The Maples Motel opened in the 1920s with a few cabins. Other units were added in the 1950s and this sign is probably from then. For more, see this website. [map]

Frigidaire
Shawnee, OH
The Frigidaire sign hangs above an empty storefront.

Drake Motel
Springfield, OH
Reco Sporting Goods
Springfield, OH
Schuler's Bakery
Springfield, OH
The Drake Motel was built in 1950. Around 2008, this huge sign was repainted and the neon was removed. There was a Drake Motel in Indianapolis, IN with an identical sign. That motel was demolished around 2005. I don't know what happened with the sign. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Reco Sporting Goods specializes in uniforms and fishing supplies. Reco stands for "Recreation Equipment Co, Inc.". The original store which opened in 1926 had a log cabin style facade. The sign was installed over the entrance. The company moved to its current location in 1971 and brought the sign with them. In 2003, when this first photo was taken, the sign was installed on a pole on the roof. By 2009, the sign had been blown down in a storm onto the roof. The second photo above is from 2012. The hunter portion of the sign is in storage. The owner would like to restore the sign someday. [map]

Schuler's Bakery has been here since 1935. The sign is probably from then. The store also has a great vintage interior. For more, see this website. [map]

Fred E. Peters & Sons
Springfield, OH
Brain Lumber Co.
Springfield, OH
The Fred E. Peters & Sons key shop opened here in 1960. The metal key on top might have been outlined with neon. [map]

The Brain Lumber Co. was established in 1868. This business features an embossed plastic Sherwin-Williams Paints sign. These signs must have been mass-produced but I haven't seen another one like this. [map]

St. Paris:
Gulf [map]

Struthers:
Rip's Liquor [map]

Sylvania:
J&G Pizza Palace [map]

King Pin Lanes
Toledo, OH
Roby's Nite Club [gone]
Toledo, OH
The King Pin Lanes opened in 1948. This sign, or a facsimile of the original, might be from then. The first photo is from 2006. By 2009, the plastic letters had been removed from the sign and it was refaced. The LED tubing around the border was replaced with neon. The second photo is from 2012. [map]

The Roby's Nite Club sign is probably from the 1940s or earlier. The wire mesh was installed long ago to protect the sign. The sign was removed in 2017. It is now at the American Sign Museum in Cincinnati, OH where it will be restored before being put on display.

19th Hole
Toledo, OH
Schmucker's Restaurant
Toledo, OH
The 19th Hole bar opened in 1934. This sign may be from then. It is lit at night. The first photo is from 2011. By the second photo from 2012, the sign had been repainted. For more, see this website. [map]

Schmucker's Restaurant opened in 1948 as Schmucker's Dairy Bar. This sign is probably from then or shortly thereafter. My guess is that when Schmucker's became a full-scale restaurant, the text on the sign was changed from "Dairy Bar" to "Good Food". The sign is lit at night. For more, see this website. [map]

More Toledo:
former Colonial Cleaners [map]
Glenbyrne Center [map]
Hotel Lorraine [map]
Ottawa Tavern [map]

K's Hamburger Shop
Troy, OH
Tonquas Redman Club
Troy, OH
Partee Shop
Van Wert, OH
Balyeat's Coffee Shop
Van Wert, OH
K's Hamburger Shop opened in 1935. This sign was built in the 1940s. It was originally installed on a pole but then moved onto the building when the street was widened. The sign was restored in 2014. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Tonquas Redman Club sign is just a few feet away from K's Hamburger Shop. For more, see this website. [map]

The Partee Shop sign features a giant plastic Dr Pepper bottle. [map]

Balyeat's Coffee Shop opened in 1922. This sign is from the late 1920s or early 1930s. For more, see this website. [map]

Uhrichsville:
Alpa Lanes [map]

More Van Wert Signs:
F.O.E. [map]
Jerry's Old South Tavern [map]

Echo Lanes
Bowl
Warren, OH
Freeway Lanes
Warren, OH
Warren Baking Co.
Warren, OH
The Echo Lanes Bowl and the Freeway Lanes signs were probably built in the 1950s or 1960s. Both of these signs have been updated a bit but still retain their original character. The Freeway Lanes was previously known as the Rainbow Lanes. For more, see this website. [Echo map]; [Freeway map]

The Warren Baking Co. was founded in 1923. This sign might be from the 1950s. [map]

Roush Hardware
Westerville, OH
Daved Jewelers
Willoughby, OH
Roush Hardware was established in 1951. This sign appears to be from then. For more, see this website. [map]

The Daved Jewelers sign probably had a clock at the bottom originally. It may have been a stock design since this sign in Tampa, FL looks like a match. [map]

Wooster
Appliance Center
Wooster, OH
The Wooster Appliance Center has been here since 1960. The sign was installed in 1964. As shown in this photo from 2009, the sign was missing the top and bottom parts of its bulb-studded arrow. In 2011, the store moved and this sign was removed. In 2013, the sign was reinstalled at the new location. The remaining part of the arrow was removed and a circle of bulbs was installed around the GE logo. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Youngstown:
Schwebel Baking Company [map]

OH (page 1) OH (page 2) OH (page 3) Cincinnati Columbus
American Sign Museum
(Cincinnati)
Bob McDorman Chevrolet
(Canal Winchester)

Main Signs Page