email: roadarch@outlook.com

Ohio Movie Theatres (page 1)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Ada Theatre
Ada, OH
Mt. Union Theatre [gone]
Alliance, OH
The Ada Theatre was built in 1938 and closed in 1983. Much of the theatre's interior was removed before restoration in 1986. For more, see this website. [map]

The Mt. Union Theatre opened in 1939. It was owned and used by Mt. Union College when this photo was taken in 2009. In 2013, the school demolished the building. For more, see this website.

Athens Theatres:
Athena Cinema

Schine Holland Theatre
Bellefontaine, OH
Drexel Theatre
Bexley, OH
The Schine Holland Theatre is the only Dutch theme movie theatre in the world. It was built in 1931 for vaudeville and movies. The auditorium walls feature replica buildings, including operating windmills. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

The Drexel Theatre opened in 1937 and closed in the 1970s. It was reopened as an arthouse in 1981. In the early 1990s, it was converted from a single screen to a triplex. The front of the auditorium retains its Art Deco décor. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

Bowling Green Theatres:
Cla-Zel Theatre

Bryan Theatre
Bryan, OH
The Bryan Theatre opened in 1940 and is still operating. For more, see this website. [map]

Palace Theatre
Canton, OH
The Palace Theatre was designed by John Eberson and opened in 1926. The theatre closed in 1976 and was nearly demolished. It reopened in 1980 and restoration has been ongoing ever since. The atmospheric theatre attempts to recreate a Spanish courtyard on a midsummer night. Its ceiling features a star-filled sky with wisps of clouds. The theatres also has its original Kilgen Pipe Organ. The Palace is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Celina Theatres:
Celina Theatre

Majestic Theatre
Chillicothe, OH
Esquire Theatre
Cincinnati, OH
The Majestic Theatre started out as the Masonic Opera House, built in 1876. Around 1915, a movie screen was added and the name was changed to the Majestic. In front of the theatre, there is a neon sign advertising the theatre which is installed on an arch spanning the width of the sign. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

The Esquire Theatre was built in 1911. The theatre closed in 1983 and was nearly converted into a Wendy's Hamburgers. It reopened in 1990. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

Regal Theatre
Cincinnati, OH
Woodward Theatre
Cincinnati, OH
The Regal Theatre was built in 1913 as the Casino Theatre. It was originally used for vaudeville and films. In the 1990s, the theatre was twinned and then triplexed before closing. It remains vacant. For more, see this website. [map]

The Woodward Theatre was built in 1913. It was designed by Rapp, Zettle & Rapp. The theatre closed in 1933. The building housed Greg's Antiques when these photos were taken in 2012. In 2014, the theatre reopened as a live performance venue. For more, see this website. [map]

Covedale Theatre
Cincinnati, OH
The Covedale Theatre opened in 1947. By the early 1990s, it was converted into the Cinema Grill which featured second-run movies and dinner. The Cinema Grill closed in 2001. The theatre was renovated and is now known as the Covedale Center for the Performing Arts. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Paramount Theatre
Cincinnati, OH
2005: 2012:
The Paramount Theatre was built in 1931. Originally, there was a huge sign tower on top of the dome which read "Paramount". There was also a large blade sign on the side of the building. At some point, the theatre closed and the interior was gutted for retail space. For more, see this website. [first photo thanks George Feinthel] [map]

20th Century Theatre
Cincinnati, OH
The 20th Century Theatre was designed by Fred W. Stritzel and opened in 1941. The theatre closed in 1983. In 1990, it was converted for use as Belmont's Floor Company. The building was occupied by the the Cincinnati Church of Christ from around 1991-1995. In 1997, the 20th Century Theatre reopened as a mixed concert and banquet hall. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

La Salle Theatre
Cleveland, OH
Garden Theatre
Columbus, OH
Studio 35
Columbus, OH
The La Salle Theatre was built in 1927 and closed around 1990. The building has rarely been used since then. Northeast Shores, a local development corporation, now owns the theatre and has begun renovation. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Garden Theatre was built in 1926 as the Apollo Theatre. By 1928, it was known as the Lincoln Theatre. By 1941, it was known as the Garden Theatre. The building housed a church for several years. Since 2011, the building has housed the Short North Stage. For more, see this website. [map]

The Studio 35 Theatre opened in 1938 as the Indianola Theatre. I believe the name was changed in 1953. For more, see this website. [map]

Livingston Theatre
Columbus, OH
The Livingston Theatre opened in 1946 and closed in the 1970s. The building was later converted to medical offices. The building is now occupied by Flex Baths, a gay bath house. For more, see this website. [map]

Lincoln Theatre
Columbus, OH
Southern Theatre
Columbus, OH
The Lincoln Theatre opened in 1928 as the Ogden Theatre. The interior was designed in the Egyptian Revival style. The theatre was renamed around 1941. It was restored and reopened in 2009 as a performing arts and education center. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

The Southern Theatre opened in 1896 and featured live performances. The theater later added vaudeville and film. It began focusing on movies in 1931. The theatre closed in 1979 but was restored in 1998. The sign is a replica of the original. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Main Theatre
Columbus, OH
The Main Theatre opened in 1937 and closed sometime in the 1960s. The building was used as medical offices for several years but it appears to be vacant now. For more, see this website. [map]

Ohio (page 2) Ohio (page 3) Theatres
Main Page