email: roadarch@outlook.com

Nut Shops

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

The Planters Peanuts Company was established in 1906 in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. The Mr. Peanut character was developed in 1916 and has been used in advertising since then with only a little bit of updating. The company opened hundreds of Planters Peanut Shoppes in the 1930s and 1940s. By 1960, there were stores in more than 200 cities in the United States. The most famous stores in New York City's Times Square and the Atlantic City Boardwalk featured incredible neon signs. In 1961, Planters was acquired by Standard Brands which was not interested in the retail business. The stores were either closed or sold. About a dozen stores continue to operate independently in the eastern United States.

Peanut Shoppe
Memphis, TN
This Peanut Shoppe was originally a Planters Peanuts shop built in 1949. This Memphis shop roasts and fries its own peanuts daily. The roaster is in the shape of a giant Mr. Peanut. The shop also sells other candies and nuts and has a nice collection of vintage Planters items. For more, see this website.

Peanut Shoppe
Memphis, TN
This Peanut Shoppe opened in 1959 as a Planters Peanuts shop. The building is still basically intact, inside and out. There was once a giant neon sign of Mr. Peanut. For more, see this website. [map]

Peanut Shop
Nashville, TN
The Nashville Peanut Shop opened in the Arcade in 1927 as Planter's Peanuts 12th store. It was renamed in 1962. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3.

A&M Peanut Shop
Mobile, AL
The A&M Peanut Shop was originally part of the Planters Peanut chain. It opened in 1947 as store #135. The store's nuts are roasted on-site in a machine from 1907. They also sell a full range of candies and have lots of old photos of downtown Mobile on display. The building itself is from 1886. [map]

Peanut Shoppe
Erie, PA
This Peanut Shoppe is another former Planters store. It is located in the Renaissance Centre downtown. There are many vintage Planters items inside the store. [map]

M&D-R-Nuts
Binghamton, NY
M&D-R-Nuts opened in 1923 as Planters Peanuts shop #51. M&D-R-Nuts has been here since around 1987. The Planters peanut roaster is still in use. [map]

The Peanut Shop
Lansing, MI
Peanut Shoppe [gone]
Huntington, WV
The Peanut Shop in Lansing opened as Planters store #58 in 1937. The interior is nicely preserved and features two Planters roasters which are still in use. For more, see [map]

The Peanut Shoppe in Huntington opened in 1924 as Planters Peanut's store #109. These photos are from 2007. The store closed around 2009 and the space now houses a massage parlor. For more, see this website.

Peanut Shoppe
Charleston, WV
This Peanut Shoppe opened in 1950 as Planters Peanut's store #144. In 1960, the store changed owners and its name. The peanut roaster is still is use. [map]

Peanut Shoppe
Columbus, OH
This Peanut Shoppe opened in 1936 as store #42. This sign was built then. The store moved in 1978 and 2014. All three locations have been just a few blocks apart on High St. The neon sign is about 12 feet tall and features red and pink neon. It is the only sign featuring Mr. Peanut still on public display at a former Planters store. During the Columbus sign's restoration in 2014, the opal glass feature behind Mr. Peanut's monocle was repaired. It was backlit originally by a bulb inside the sign. The sign shop also added a flashing mechanism to create the effect that Mr. Peanut is winking. In addition to the store's wide range of nuts and candies, it also features a large display of Planters Peanut collectibles and original roasting machines. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Peanut Shoppe
Springfield, OH
This Peanut Shoppe opened here in 1937 as store #50. The original peanut roaster is still in use. For more, see this website. [map]

Boardwalk Peanut Shoppe
Atlantic City, NJ
Planters Peanuts opened its 28th store on the Atlantic City Boardwalk in 1930. It closed in 1978 and was eventually replaced with the Trump Taj Mahal. Some or all of the neon signs are believed to be in a private collection. The Boardwalk Peanut Shoppe opened in 1972 and carries on the tradition. They use the original Planters roasters and sell lots of Planters Peanuts collectibles. There was also a Mr. Peanut statue on the north end of the Boardwalk which is no longer on public display. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2.

Mr. Peanut
Fort Smith, AR
This Mr. Peanut sign once stood on at the Planters store on Route 1 in Peabody, MA. By the late 1960s, the store had closed and the sign was altered for the Half Dollar Bar. The bar closed in the 1980s and the sign was moved here and restored in 1988. The sign, which is about 30 feet tall, was also manufactured and installed at other Planters locations but I believe this is the only one left. The Fort Smith location is a processing plant which opened here in 1976. There are smaller Mr. Peanut figures on the fencing at the entrance to the property. For more, see this website. [map]

Planters
Peanut Store [gone]
unknown city, MA
Planters Peanut Store [gone]
near Richmond, VA

These two stores featured giant Mr. Peanut signs like the one described in Fort Smith above. The sign from MA is not the same as the one that was in Peabody, MA.

More former Planters Peanuts stores, buildings, etc.:
San Francisco, CA [gone]
Baltimore, MD [map]
Ocean City, NJ
Akron, OH [map]
Wilkes-Barre, PA: 1, 2, 3 [factory & signs gone]
Chattanooga, TN [gone]
Suffolk Peanut Center: 1, 2 (Suffolk, VA) [map]
former Planters Peanut factory (Suffolk, VA)
Obici House (Suffolk, VA)
Peanut Mobiles: 1, 2
Peanut Pals

Peanut Depot
Birmingham, AL
The Peanut Depot opened here in 1907. They offer peanuts, and peanuts only, in four varieties: salted, unsalted, boiled, and Cajun. The roasting ovens are the originals. In the 1930s or 1940s, the business moved slightly down this cobblestoned street. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

Holland Peanut Store
Holland, MI
Dome's Nut Shop
Lima, OH
Morrow's Nut House [gone]
San Francisco, CA
The Holland Peanut Store was established 1902. The store moved here in 1972. For more, see this website. [map]

Dome's Nut Shop has been here about one hundred years. It was never affiliated with Planters. [map]

Morrow's Nut House opened here in 1938. It closed in 2008 just after these photos were taken. There is a hat shop in the building now. By the 1950s, Morrow's had seven locations in San Francisco. It became a nationwide chain. It's not clear how many locations there were or when the company was first established. There are other surviving locations around the country including the one in Cape May, NJ. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2.

St. Laurent Bros. Nut House
Bay City, MI
St. Laurent Bros. has been roasting nuts since 1904. I don't know when the company's "Nut House" store opened. I believe candies are still produced on the second floor. [map]

Perry's Nut House
Belfast, ME
Priester's Pecans
Fort Deposit, AL
Perry's Nut House opened in 1926. It closed in 1997 but reopened in 1998. For more, see this website. [map]

Priester's Pecans was founded in 1935. Their huge store allows customers to observe various pecan confections being made. They also have another location in Perry, GA and offer mail order as well. For more, see this website. [map]

Krema Nut Company
Columbus, OH
The Krema Nut Company was established in 1898. This store sells nuts, butters, chocolates, candies and other snacks. Windows allow customers to watch the nuts being roasted and candies being made. The store used to have a "Krema Mobile" station wagon with a giant peanut on the roof. It also had a cashew hood ornament. The car was retired around 2007. For more, see this website. [map]

More Nut Stores:
Nut House (Claremore, OK)

For Giant Nuts, see this page.

Eateries Main Page