email: roadarch@outlook.com

Minneapolis Signs

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Peter's Grill [gone]
Minneapolis, MN
Murray's Restaurant & Cocktail Lounge
Minneapolis, MN
Peter's Grill opened in 1914. I believe this sign was from the early 1930s. The restaurant moved a couple of times and the sign and a number of fixtures were brought along. This photo is from 2007. Peter's Grill closed in 2013 and this sign was gone by 2014. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2.

Murray's Restaurant & Cocktail Lounge opened in 1946. These signs were added in 1956. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

Gold Medal Flour
Minneapolis, MN
North Star Blankets
Minneapolis, MN
Grain Belt Beer
Minneapolis, MN
Hum's Liquor Store
Minneapolis, MN
The Gold Medal Flour signs are installed on the roof of the Gold Medal Flour Building. The building now houses the Mill City Museum. The first signs were installed on the roof around 1906. In 1924, the signs were updated to read Gold Medal Foods. They were changed back in the early 1930s. In 1945, the signs were renovated and updated. These are the signs that appear today. The signs are 45 feet tall and 42 feet wide. The letters are about eight feet tall. The sign's restoration in 2000 cost about $250,000. The sign is lit at night and the letters flash. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The North Star Blankets signs were installed on the North Star Woolen Mill tower in 1930. One sign is installed on a steel structure on top the tower. The other is installed on the side of the tower, facing the opposite direction. The signs are about 25 feet wide. The North Star Woolen Mill Company was established in 1864 and, by 1925, it was the largest producer of wool blankets in the country. In 1949, the company relocated to Lima, Ohio. The building remained vacant until 1999 when it was converted into the North Star Lofts. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. [map]

The signs' sheet metal letters and stars were built by the Federal Electric Company. The neon tubing was missing for decades. During the condo conversion, the signs were repainted and lit with spotlights. Then, in 2012, the signs became a safety concern when pieces began falling from them. This prompted the approximate $350,000 restoration project in 2015. 70% of the money is coming from The State of Minnesota through the Minnesota Historical Society's Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund. The remainder will be paid for by the North Star Lofts Homeowner's Association.

The scaffold support structure will be completely rebuilt. After the letters and stars are refurbished, they will be relit with LED tubing. The colors will replicate those used originally. The stars will be yellow and white while the letters will be red. The project should be completed by the end of 2015. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, 3, and 4.

The Grain Belt Beer sign is 50 feet wide and 40 feet tall. It has approximately 1,400 light bulbs and about 900 feet of neon tubing. It was built in 1941 and installed on the roof of the Marigold Ballroom. In 1950, when the ballroom was about to be demolished, the sign was moved to its current location on Nicollet Island next to the Hennepin Avenue Bridge. The letters flashed in sequence until the brewery closed in 1970. The sign was restored and relit in 1988 but it has been dark since around 1994. In 2014, the sign was purchased by the August Schell Brewing Co. which plans to restore the sign. The neon will most likely be replaced with LED tubing. The restoration is expected to cost around $500,000 and should be completed in 2017.

In the 1940s, there were at least two other similar Grain Belt Beer signs in town but they have been gone for decades. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Hum's Liquor Store opened in the mid-1960s and this sign appears to be from then. For more, see this website. [map]

Aqua City Motel
Minneapolis, MN
Imperial Room
Minneapolis, MN
Zipp's Liquors
Minneapolis, MN
The Aqua City Motel opened in the 1950s and this sign is from then. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Imperial Room opened around 2002. This is a modern sign. This photo is from 2011. The restaurant and bar closed in 2015. This sign will most likely be removed. [map]

Zipp's Liquors opened in 1961 and this sign appears to be from then. This smaller, modern sign above the door was built in the same style. For more, see this website. [map]

Snoboy
Minneapolis, MN
Buca di Beppo
Minneapolis, MN
Minneapolis Floral Co. [gone]
Minneapolis, MN
The Snoboy character was created in 1925 by Pacific Fruit & Produce which marketed fruits and vegetables nationwide. The company, now known as Amerifresh, continues to use him in their advertising. Does anyone know how long this sign has been here? For more, see this website. [map]

Buca di Beppo is part of a nationwide chain of Italian restaurants. This is the company's first location which opened in 1993. The owners studied signs from the 1940s and 1950s before settling on this design. This was most likely modeled after Cantina Italiana sign in Boston, MA. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

The Minneapolis Floral Co. opened here in 1936. This sign appeared to be from then. These photos were taken in 2007. The business closed in 2009. In 2011, a US Bank branch moved into the building and the sign was stripped of neon and repainted. For more, see this website. [map]

Nye's Polonaise Room
Minneapolis, MN
The Nye's Polonaise Room sign is probably from 1964. That's when Nye's expanded and added the dining room. The Nye's bar signs are most likely from around 1950. These photos are from 2011. Nye's closed in 2016. If these signs are still there, they won't be for long. There are plans to build an apartment tower on the property. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

Metro Inn Motel
Minneapolis, MN
Minnehaha Liquors
Minneapolis, MN
The Metro Inn Motel opened in the 1950s as the Boulevard Motel. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Minnehaha Liquors has been around since the 1920s. This sign is probably from the 1950s. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Halek's Bar
(now Cliff-n-Norm's Bar)
Minneapolis, MN
Modern Times Cafe
Minneapolis, MN
The Halek's Bar opened around 1948. This sign may be from then. This photo is from 2012. The bar closed in 2013 and soon reopened at Cliff-n-Norm's Bar. A new panel was added to the top of the sign for the name change. For more, see this website. [map]

The Modern Times Cafe has preserved the sign letters from the Modern Cleaners which opened here around 1943. [map]

Skol Liquors
Minneapolis, MN
Lee's Liquor Lounge
Minneapolis, MN
Monte Carlo Bar & Grill
Minneapolis, MN
This Skol Liquors sign is probably from the 1950s. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Lee's Liquor Lounge has been here since at least the early 1960s. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Monte Carlo Bar & Grill opened in 1906. This sign might be from the 1950s or 1960s. This photo is from 2011. Around 2013, this sign was either refurbished or replaced. The sign was repainted and the neon words "Bar" and "Food" were replaced with backlit plastic letters. For more, see this website. [map]

Starlite Motel
Minneapolis, MN
Pillsbury's Best Flour
Minneapolis, MN
The Starlite Motel sign is probably from the 1950s. The sign was originally painted light blue. It is lit at night. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. The top half of the sign is identical to the Starlite Motel in Salina, KS. [map]

The Pillsbury's Best Flour sign is installed on the roof of the "Pillsbury A Mill". The flour mill was built in 1881 and operated until 2003. As of 2015, the building is being converted into lofts. The Pillsbury Company was founded in Minneapolis in 1872. A similar sign was installed here in the 1920s. This photo shows the sign in 1927. It was replaced with the current sign around 1940. It featured flashing letters. In 2015, the sign was restored and relit. The neon was replaced with LED tubing. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

Franklin Nicollet Liquor
Minneapolis, MN
Franklin Nicollet Liquor signs appear to be from the 1950s or 1960s. They are lit at night. For more, see this website. [map]

Cathay Chow Mein
Minneapolis, MN
Don's
Leather Cleaning
Minneapolis, MN
Bunkers Music
Bar & Grill [gone]
Minneapolis, MN
Cathay Chow Mein opened in 1945 and this sign is probably from then. [map]

This Don's Leather Cleaning sign originally advertised for a Bridgeman's Ice Cream parlor. [map]

I believe Bunkers Music Bar & Grill opened around 1981. This sign is probably from the 1940s or 1950s. It was most likely adapted for Bunkers Music. Does anyone know what was here originally? Around 2014, the neon was removed from this sign and backlit plastic letters were added. [map]

Nate's
Clothing [gone]
Minneapolis, MN
Park & Lake Car Wash
Minneapolis, MN
Nate's Clothing was founded in 1916. The store closed this location in 2008 and the sign was removed in 2009. For more, see this website.

The Park & Lake Car Wash opened around 1966. The sign was repainted around 2008. These photos are from 2011. It probably had neon originally. For more, see this website. [map]

More Minneapolis Signs:
The Diner: 1, 2 [removed; private collection]
Lowry Hill Liquor Store [map]
Northwest Graphic Supply Co. [map]
Red Owl Supermarket [vintage; gone]
Stardust Lanes (now Memory Lanes): 1, 2 [map]
Town Talk Diner [map]
Weatherball [gone]
Woodcraft Hobby Store [vintage; gone]

MN Signs
page 1
MN Signs
page 2
MN Signs
page 3
MN Signs
page 4
St. Paul
Main Signs Page