Michigan Signs (page 7)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Sherwood Motel
Waterford, MI
Motel [gone]
Waterford, MI
Brownie's Diner
Wayne, MI
The Sherwood Motel opened in 1956. For more, see this website. [map]

The Highlander Motel sign appeared to be from the 1960s. This photo is from 2007. By 2011, the sign was gone and the motel had been renamed the Waterford Motel.

Brownie's Diner opened in 1937. The sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. This photo is from 2011. The restaurant has been closed since at least 2015. [map]

Town N Country Lanes
Westland, MI
Lakeland Motel
Whitehall, MI
The Town N Country Lanes sign is probably from the 1960s. For more, see this website. [map]

The Lakeland Motel opened in 1950. [map]

John Yurkovich
Auto Sales
Wyandotte, MI
Michigan Portrait
Studio [gone]
Wyandotte, MI
4 Star Gas
Wyoming, MI
John Yurkovich Auto Sales features a classic Chevrolet OK Used Cars sign. The company opened here in 1983. The sign was obviously updated with the company's name and phone number at that point. It would have looked like this sign originally. This photo is from 2006. This sign was repainted sometime after 2005. For more, see this website. [map]

The Michigan Portrait Studio was closed for many years but this sign was still there in 2011 when this photo was taken. It had been around since at least 1950. The woman's profile was missing on the other side of the sign. The sign was gone by 2013.

There were a few of these 4 Star Gas signs in the Grand Rapids area. I believe this is the only one left. The gas station is still operating. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

More Wyoming:
Engel's Jewelers [gone]

Ypsi-Arbor Lanes [gone]
Ypsilanti, MI
Terry Bakery
Ypsilanti, MI
Rapid Shoe Fix
Ypsilanti, MI
Ypsi-Arbor Lanes opened in 1964 and this sign is from then. The name came from its location between Ypsilanti and Ann Arbor. The bowling alley closed in 2001. There are plans to demolish the building in order to construct a strip mall. The contents of the building and the sign were auctioned off. The sign was sold to a private collector for $3,250. It cost another $1,750 or so to move it. The sign was more than twenty feet tall and had been well-maintained over the years. In addition to the red, green, blue and white neon, the sign features more than 200 flashing bulbs. The yellow bulbs were lit sequentially from the tips of the sunburst towards the sign's center. For more, see this website. [night photo thanks Mark Comstock]

The Terry Bakery opened in 1951. This photo is from 2011. The sign was restored by 2014. [map]

The Rapid Shoe Fix sign is probably from the 1950s or earlier. The store is still in business. The elves on the sign look a bit like Palmer Cox's Brownies. [map]

Trojan Laundry & Cleaners
Ypsilanti, MI
Tap Room
Ypsilanti, MI
Trojan Laundry & Cleaners was originally located in Ann Arbor. By 1958, the company had moved to Ypsilanti. This rooftop sign is probably from the 1950s. It is hexagonal in shape with three identical large panels. [map]

The Tap Room opened in 1941 and is still in operation. This sign is probably from then. For more, see this website. [map]

More Michigan Signs:
various cities

MI (page 1) MI (page 2) MI (page 3) MI (page 4) MI (page 5) MI (page 6) Detroit

Main Signs Page