email: roadarch@outlook.com

Detroit Signs

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Simmons & Clark Jewelers
Detroit, MI
Yellow Pages [gone]
Detroit, MI
Hostess Cake [gone]
Detroit, MI
Fontaine Motel
Detroit, MI
Simmons & Clark Jewelers opened in 1925 and is still family owned and operated. This sign was installed in the 1950s. [map]

The Yellow Pages sign measured 32 feet by 48 feet and was installed on the Michigan Bell Telephone Building. The sign was installed in 1959. It had not been lit since the 1970s. While the building was being converted into housing for homeless people in 2011, the sign was found to be structurally unsound. It was offered to various museums but it was too big to find a taker. Most of the sign was scrapped but about five letters and the telephone portion were saved. The telephone was composed of translucent plastic panels and was used as a weather forecaster. At night, it would be lit red for warmer weather, blue for cooler weather, and yellow for no change. The weather phone would blink when rain or snow were expected. The phone is now in about sixty pieces. There are plans to reassemble and install them in the lobby of the building. For more, see this website.

The Hostess Cake sign was probably installed in the 1950s. It was lit until 2005 and then removed in 2008. For more, see this website.

The Fontaine Motel sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. It probably had twinkling bulbs where the fountain pattern is. The sign was originally blue and white. Around 2013, the sign was painted blue and white. Around 2015, the sign was painted beige and brown. For more, see this website. [map]

Holland Sales
& Service [gone]
Detroit, MI
Henry the Hatter
Detroit, MI
Cadillac Fence & Supply Co. [gone]
Detroit, MI
The Holland Sales & Service sign was shaped like a tractor trailer hitch. It was probably from the 1950s. This photo is from 2011. By 2013, the sign was gone.

Henry the Hatter was founded in 1893. This store and sign have been here since 1952. The company has two other locations: in Hamtramck and Southfield. In 2017, it was announced that this location might be closing and reopening somewhere else. The fate of the sign is unknown. [map]

The Cadillac Fence & Supply Co. building had been vacant for many years but these signs were still there when these photos were taken in 2011. By 2013, the signs were gone.

Lasko's Collision
Detroit, MI
Hotel Yorba
Detroit, MI
Lasko's Collision opened in 1953 and this sign is probably from then. [map]

The Hotel Yorba was built in 1926. These signs are probably from the 1940s and 1950s. [map]

Smith Welding Supply Co.
Detroit, MI
Vergote's Poultry & Fish Market [gone]
Detroit, MI
Bronx Bar
Detroit, MI
The Smith Welding Supply Co. is still open. This sign is probably from the 1950s. [map]

Vergote's Poultry & Fish Market was closed but this sign was still there when this photo was taken in 2011. The sign was gone by 2013. The neon was protected on this sign with plastic and wire. The sign is not on display at Vergote's new location.

The Bronx Bar sign might be from the 1930s. It is lit at night. For more, see this website. [map]

McNichol's
Riviera Motel
Detroit, MI
Gillis Realty Co. [gone]
Detroit, MI
The McNichol's Riviera Motel was built in 1950. [map]

The Gillis Realty Co. was long gone but this sign remained in 2011 when this photo was taken. The sign was still there in 2015 but gone by 2016.

More Detroit Signs:
Laikon Cafe [gone]
Palace Cleaners [map]
Roosevelt Hotel [map]

MI (page 1) MI (page 2) MI (page 3) MI (page 4) MI (page 5) MI (page 6) MI (page 7)

Main Signs Page