email: roadarch@outlook.com

Los Angeles Art Deco & Streamline Moderne Buildings (page 4)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Engine Co. #1
Los Angeles, CA
The Los Angeles Engine Co. #1 building was constructed in 1940 with WPA funding. [map]

Sears, Roebuck & Company Building
Los Angeles, CA

2013:

2016:
This Sears, Roebuck & Company Building operated as a mail order distribution center and retail store. It was designed by George C. Nimmons and built in 1927. Although Sears still operates the retail store on the ground level, the rest of the building has been vacant since 1992. In 2016, the aluminum siding was removed from the ground level, revealing the original Art Deco facade. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Municipal Water & Power Building
Los Angeles, CA
This Municipal Water & Power Building facade was designed by S. Charles Lee and built in 1937. The building retains its original bronze door, translucent glass letters and other details. For more, see this website. [map]

Crossroads of the World
Los Angeles, CA
The Crossroads of the World was designed by Robert V. Derrah and built in 1936. The main building resembles an ocean liner. The surrounding buildings were designed in Spanish Revival and Bavarian styles. The complex was originally a shopping center but it is now used for offices. The globe sign on the tower still revolves and is lit at night. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, 3, and 4. [map]

Hemphill Diesel Engineering School
Los Angeles, CA
The Hemphill Diesel Engineering School was built from 1932-1936. The frieze depicts the use of diesel engines in various forms of transportation. I believe the building is now used as gallery and artist space. [map]

Bullocks Wilshire
Los Angeles, CA
Bullocks Wilshire was built in 1929. The department store closed in 1992 and was briefly occupied by Macy's. In 1994, the Southwestern Law School bought and restored the building. It is now used for classrooms, offices, a library and dining facilities. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

Eastern Columbia Building
Los Angeles, CA
The Eastern Columbia Building was designed by Claud Beelman and built in 1930. It was built for the Eastern Outfitting Company and the Columbia Outfitting Company furniture and clothing stores. The building is clad in glazed turquoise terra cotta. It was converted into condos in 2007. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Los Angeles County General Hospital
Los Angeles, CA
The Los Angeles County General Hospital was built from 1927-1933. A new hospital was built nearby in 2008 in order to comply with new seismic and safety laws. This Art Deco building now houses the Wellness Center. For more, see this website. [map]