Wisconsin Signs (page 5)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

St. Francis, WI
Point Beer
Stevens Point, WI
Gordie's has the only neon Braumeister Beer sign that I know of. [map]

This Point Beer sign is located at the Point Beer brewery. These signs were mass-produced. There are several other examples at Northern Advertising in Antigo, WI.

Grubba Jewelers
Stevens Point, WI
Blue Top Motel & Restaurant
Stevens Point, WI
Who's Bar
Superior, WI
The Grubba Jewelers sign appears to be a repurposed Chevrolet OK sign. Chevrolet mass-produced these signs for their used car dealers. I have never seen another one adapted like this.

The Blue Top Motel had been around since at least the 1950s. However, this was not the original sign. By 2015, the neon panels had been replaced with plastic versions. By 2016, the motel had new panels for the Knights Inn.

I assume the Blue Top Restaurant, aka the Blue Top Supper Club, had the same owner as the Blue Top Motel originally. The businesses are next door to each other. The restaurant sign was repurposed for Rookies Sports Pub. The neon was removed and a plastic panel was installed. [map]

The Who's Bar sign was apparently adapted from an earlier business. Does anyone know what was here originally? [map]

More Superior Signs:
Soo Line

Hammond Steak House
Superior, WI
The Hammond Steak House signs are probably from the 1950s. [map]

Globe News
Superior, WI
Peoples Drug Store
Superior, WI
Budget Motel
Superior, WI
Old Town Bar
Superior, WI
The Globe News newsstand, gift shop and convenience store has been here since at least the 1960s. [map]

The Peoples Drug Store sign appears to be from the 1950s. [map]

The Budget Motel sign looked like a reworked sign from the 1950s. The gull's wings must have been animated. This photo is from 2011. Around 2016, the neon was removed and the sign was either repainted or had new panels. For more, see this website. [map]

The Old Town Bar sign appears to be either a new sign or a replica of an old one. [map]

More Superior Signs:
East End Radio Shop [map]

Three Creeks Signs:
Bleckman Machine & Supply [map]

Fairwood Motel
Three Lakes, WI
Maple Motel
Three Lakes, WI
The Fairwood Motel sign is probably from the 1950s. The painted-out word was probably "cabins". [map]

The Maple Motel opened in 1950. This sign appears to be from then. [map]

Tigerton Signs:
Neiland's Supper Club (vintage; gone]

Market Square Cheese
Wisconsin Dells, WI
Humbird Cheese
Tomah, WI
Tee Pee Supper Club [gone]
Tomah, WI
Market Square Cheese opened here in 1969. This store also features a Giant Mouse at the entrance. [map]

Humbird Cheese is Market Square Cheese's sister store, with an identical sign. Humbird Cheese has been around since the 1930s. This sign was probably built at the same time as the one in the Dells. [map]

The Tee Pee Supper Club opened here in 1960. The female figure was once part of the sign on the side of the building. She was later installed on the roof. The supper club closed in 2014. The place was boarded up but the signs were still there in 2016. In 2017, the building was demolished. The signs were saved and are now on display inside Murray's on Main in Tomah.

Moose Run Motel
Tomahawk, WI
Department Store
Viroqua, WI
Steak Pit
Washburn, WI
The Moose Run Motel opened in 1950 as the Alamo Plaza Motel. The top panel of the sign was replaced when the name was changed around 2005. The Indian figure is original and is about six feet tall. When the character was restored around 2007, the names of the motel's owners were added to the suitcases. [map]

The Felix Department Store opened around 1906. This sign is probably from the 1930s or 1940s. In 1980, the store became Felix's Mens and Womens Wear. It closed 2007 and the building remains vacant. For more, see this website. [map]

The Steak Pit opened in 1973. For more, see this website. [map]

Trego Signs:
Dinner Bell Cafe [map]

Motel [gone]
Wausau, WI
Hawk Bowl
Whitewater, WI
Chippewa Resort
Williams Bay, WI
The Ponderosa Motel cowboy sign was installed next to the motel's other plastic box sign with the name of the place. The cowboy appeared to be made of painted wood. It had been there since the 1950s when there was a freestanding neon sign below. This photo is from 2011. The sign was still there in 2015 but gone by 2016. For more, see this website.

The Hawk Bowl opened around 1958 and this sign appears to be from then. The sign was made by Osgood & Co. of Beloit, Wisconsin. It is about 12 feet tall and is lit with orange, green, pink and orange neon. Another neon sign above the entrance reads "16 Brunswick Lanes, Automatic Scoring." For more, see this website. [map]

The Chippewa Resort sign appears to be from the 1950s. The place is still in operation. [map]

Wauwatosa Signs:
Club Tap [map]

Biggar's Supper Club
Winneconne, WI
Arrowhead Restaurant
Winneconne, WI
Biggar's Supper Club opened in 2004. This is probably a reworked sign. [map]

The Arrowhead Restaurant sign appears to be from the 1950s or so. [map]

Indian Trail Motel
Wisconsin Dells, WI
Winnebago Gift Shop
Wisconsin Dells, WI
Trading Post [gone]
Wisconsin Dells, WI
Nig's Bar
Dells, WI
Motel [gone]
Wisconsin Dells, WI
The Indian Trail Motel, the Winnebago Gift Shop and the Uptown Trading Post signs appear to be from the 1950s. The Uptown Trading Post opened in 1939. The store is still there but this sign was gone by 2015. [Indian Trail map]; [Winnebago map]

Nig's Bar has been here since 1947. This sign looks like it might be from the 1960s. For more, see this website. [map]

The Evergreen Motel closed in 2006 and this sign was painted white. As of 2012, the painted-over sign remained. It was gone by 2016. For more, see this website.

Holiday Motel [gone]
Wisconsin Dells, WI
The Holiday Motel had been around since at least 1965. These photos are from 2006 and 2011. By 2014, the motel and sign were gone. The sign is in a private collection. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2.

More Wisconsin Dells Signs:
Wally's House of Embers

Kelly's Liquor Store
Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Arbor Vitae Motel
Woodruff, WI
The Kelly's Liquor Store sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. The neon and chasing bulbs work at night. [map]

The Arbor Vitae Motel sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. For more, see this website. [map]

More Wisconsin Signs:
Rexall Drug Stores (various cities)
various theatres

WI (page 1) WI (page 2) WI (page 3) WI (page 4) Northern

Main Signs Page