email: roadarch@outlook.com

South Dakota Signs (page 1)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Webb Shoe Company [gone]
Aberdeen, SD
Webb Shoe Company had been around since 1909. This sign was obviously from much later. The store closed in 2015 and the sign was removed by 2018. These signs were mass-produced. There is another one in Mansfield, OH.

More Aberdeen Signs:
Aberdeen Loans [gone]
Mercury Cleaners [gone]
Village Bowl

Sunset Motel
Belle Fourche, SD
Branding Iron Steakhouse & Social Club
Belle Fourche, SD
The Sunset Motel sign is probably from the 1960s. [map]

Although the Branding Iron Steakhouse & Social Club was here in 2007, this sign was not. Patched tubing holes lead me to believe that this sign was adapted from another business. [map]

Crossroad's Motel
Beresford, SD
Masonic Lodge
Brookings, SD
Charly's Restaurant
& Lounge
Chamberlain, SD
Bel Aire Motel
Chamberlain, SD
John Deere
Colton, SD
The Crossroad's Motel was built in 1970 and this sign must be from then. [map]

This style of Masonic Lodge sign was used nationwide. These glass globes are rare now. Another example can be found in Gonzales, TX. [map]

The Charly's Restaurant & Lounge sign is from the 1960s. It was repainted sometime between 2006 and 2008. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

The Bel Aire Motel was built in 1958 and this sign is probably from then. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

This John Deere sign is probably from the 1950s. These signs were mass-produced by the Lackner Sign Company of Cincinnati. The bottom panels of these signs are backlit plastic displaying the store's name. There are very few of these signs left on public display since they are so popular with collectors. The Colton Implement Co. was established by 1940 and was a Deere dealership.

Studebaker [gone]
Deadwood, SD
Terrace Motel [gone]
Deadwood, SD
Elks Lodge
Deadwood, SD
Penny Motel
Deadwood, SD
This Studebaker sign is located at the Boondocks which has a diner, classic cars, and carnival rides. This double-sided sign would originally have been installed at a dealership. Boondocks closed in 2015. It reopened in 2018.

The Terrace Motel sign is probably from the 1950s. It was originally installed on a shorter brick base. The motel was replaced with the First Gold Hotel. This sign was saved and put on a pole underneath the hotel's sign. By 2018, the hotel had become a Travelodge and the sign was gone. For more, see this website.

This Elks Lodge sign looks like it was recently refurbished or rebuilt. This photo is from 2012. [map]

The Penny Motel opened in 1950 and this sign is probably from then. For more, see this website. [map]

Wild Bill Bar
Deadwood, SD
Eagle Bar
Deadwood, SD
The Eagle Bar was originally housed in the bottom floor of the Eagle Inn which opened in 1934. The Eagle Bar sign was there by 1948. When the Eagle Inn closed in 1951, the sign was adapted for the Wild Bill Bar. The name is a reference to Wild Bill Hickok who was shot and killed in 1876 at a nearby bar, known as Nuttal & Mann's. That bar later became the Saloon No. 10.

In 2016, the building owners changed the name back to Eagle Bar and replicated the original sign with the eagle on top. The Wild Bill Bar sign was purchased by the city and moved down the block to the building where the current Saloon No. 10 is located. Therefore, both signs, on the same block, have the same basic design. For more, see this website. [Eagle Bar map]; [Wild Bill map]

Edgemont Signs:
Stockman's Bar [gone]

Fensel's Motel
Freeman, SD
The Fensel's Motel sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. [map]

Historic Log Cabin Motel
Hot Springs, SD
The Historic Log Cabin Motel was established in 1929 as the Log Cabin Tourist Camp. This sign might be from the 1950s and may have had neon originally. The panels have been covered up but the bulb arrow is still animated. The base of the sign is shaped like a long log cabin with a chimney. [map]

Manolis Grocery
Huron, SD
McCleary Lumber
Ipswich, SD
Manolis Grocery had opened by the 1920s. This sign might be from the late 1940s or 1950s. [map]

The McCleary Lumber hammer sign was there by 2008. It might be from the 1960s or 1970s. Since 2017, the business has been Ipswich Lumber & Hardware. The sign remains. [map]

More Huron Signs:
Fair City Lanes
Humphrey's Drug Store [gone]
Old Myers Pub [gone]
Top Hat Motel

Kadoka Signs:
Wagon Wheel Motel [map]

1880 Town
Midland, SD
The 1880 Town tourist attraction opened around 1972 and this sign is probably from then. [map]

South Dakota
(page 2)
South Dakota
(page 3)
Sioux Falls Main Signs Page