Pennsylvania Signs (page 2)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

El Patio Motel [gone]
Erie, PA
Sunoco [gone]
Erie, PA
Courts Motel
Everett, PA
Rite Spot Motel
Fayetteville, PA
The El Patio Motel was built in the 1950s. This sign appeared to have be from then. It must have had neon letters originally which were removed and replaced with these channel bulb letters. The motel was demolished in 2016. By 2017, the sign was also gone.

This Sunoco sign appeared to be an oldie. This photo is from 2010. By 2012, the sign was replaced with a smaller, more modern version.

The Carolyn Courts Motel was built in the 1940s. [map]

The Rite Spot Motel was built in 1960 and this sign is probably from then. [map]

More Erie:
Koehler's [in storage]
Strong Mobile Homes

Lincoln Motel
Feasterville-Trevose, PA
C Harry-B-4
-U-Buy [gone]
Glen Mills, PA
The Lincoln Motel is located on the Lincoln Highway. The sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. Around 2018, the sign's "M" was changed to an "H" to spell "HOTEL." [map]

This photo of the C Harry-B-4-U-Buy sign was taken during the store's going out of business sale in 2009. This sign was gone by 2012.

Glenside Hardware
Glenside, PA [gone]
Glenside Hardware had been here since around 1934. The signs were designed by Joe Feldman and built by the Ajax Sign Company in the 1950s. The two panels that wrap around the corner are each 65 feet long. The channel letters have triple-stroke neon tubing inside. The store closed in 2014. In 2016, the sign panels were removed. They are now in a private collection in Philadelphia, PA.

E.L.M. Department Store [map]

Cox & Son Motor Sales [gone]
Greensburg, PA
Freeze [gone]
Hallam, PA
The Cox & Son Motor Sales sign may be rusty but there is still a functioning used car lot beneath it. Sometime between these photos in 2007 and 2010, the neon was removed and the sign was repainted. The business was still there. By 2021, it had closed and the sign was gone.

The Frosty Freeze sign might have been adapted from a previous business at some point. This photo is from 2003. By 2008, the sign had been updated with plastic panels. The business closed a few years after that. In 2014, a new business was moving in.

Moose Lodge
Hamburg, PA
Big Dippers Ice Cream
Hanover, PA
This Moose Lodge canopy sign is probably from the 1930s or 1940s. [map]

Big Dippers Ice Cream features a classic neon cone sign mounted on the roof. The painted, wood sign next to the road is gone now. [map]

More Hanover:
Strickler's Hobby House [gone]
Utz Potato Chips

Alva Hotel
& Restaurant
Harrisburg, PA
Cover Co. [gone]
Harrisburg, PA
Tops Bar & Restaurant
Harrisburg, PA
The Alva Hotel & Restaurant, the Dura-Fit Cover Co., and the Tops Bar & Restaurant signs appear to be from the 1950s. The Dura-Fit sign was removed in 2020 and is in a private collection at Cook's Garage in Lubbock, TX. [Alva map]; [Tops map]

Subway Cafe
Harrisburg, PA
Pep Grill
Harrisburg, PA
(now in Hazel Park, MI)
M&Z Carpets
Harrisburg, PA
M&Z Carpets
Mechanicsburg, PA
The Subway Cafe opened in 1948. This sign may be from then. The restaurant was named after the tunnel under the the railroad tracks across the street. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Pep Grill also opened in 1948. This sign was probably from then. This photo is from 2012. The sign was still there in 2014 but removed by 2016. In 2017, it was restored and installed at joebar (now FRAMEbar) in Hazel Park, MI.

M&Z Carpets was founded in 1946. The Harrisburg location opened in the mid-1960s. The sign revolves. It reads "M&Z" on one side and "Carpet" on the other. In 2018, the neon was removed. The letters are now backlit plastic. [map]

The Mechanicsburg location opened in 1961. As of 2018, the sign still had neon. For more, see this website. [map]

More Harrisburg:
Holsum Bread [gone]
Pints [gone]
Tom Sawyer Diner [gone]

Gamburg's Furniture [map]

Knotty Pine
Restaurant [gone]
Hazleton, PA
Jefferson Hills Motel
Jefferson Hills, PA
Jenkintown Electric
Jenkintown, PA
Buca di Beppo [gone]
Jenkintown, PA
Oswald's Drug Store [gone]
Jenkintown, PA
Byorek's Knotty Pine Restaurant opened in 1937 as a curbside operation. This sign is probably from the 1950s. This photo is from 2003. The restaurant closed in 2010. The sign was restored in 2014 and is now located at the Greater Hazleton Historical Society Museum. For more, see this website.

Construction began on the Jefferson Hills Motel in the early 1950s. However, the one-person project wasn't completed until 2001. Although the sign appears vintage, I don't believe it was built until around the time the motel opened. This photo is from 2012. By 2016, the neon "MOTEL" letters had been replaced with backlit plastic letters. For more, see this website. [map]

Jenkintown Electric was established in 1919. This sign is probably from the 1950s. In 2022, when the store was moving next door, the sign came apart while it was being removed. It was replicated with aluminum panels and LED tubing. The readerboard and three rods are gone. For more, see this website. [map]

Buca di Beppo (translation: "Joe's Basement") is part of a nationwide chain of Italian restaurants. Their first location opened in Minneapolis in 1993. The owners studied signs from the 1940s and 1950s before settling on this design. This one was most likely modeled after Cantina Italiana sign in Boston, MA. Where regulations permit, their signs are animated. Buca puts its restaurants in existing buildings to blend in and be part of the neighborhood. This photo was taken in 2003 but, by 2009, the Jenkintown location and sign were gone. For more, see this website. For more sign Buca di Beppo signs, see these websites: 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5.

I believe Oswald's Drug Store had been around since the 1930s. This photo was from 2003. By 2007, the building was vacant and signs were removed.

More Hazleton:
Blue Comet Diner


Jet Beer Distributing [gone]

Chuck's Liquors

Moose Lodge [map]

Turillo's Steak House [gone]
Jennerstown, PA
Avery's Flower Shop [gone]
Jermyn, PA
Turillo's Steak House was established in 1939 as an Italian restaurant. The name was changed in 1966 to Turillo's Steak House and this sign is probably from then. The restaurant closed in 2015. The sign was removed around 2019 and is now in a private collection.

The Avery's Flower Shop sign appeared to be from the 1950s or earlier. By 2023, the store and sign were gone.

Zip's Lanes

Moyer Plumbing [gone]

(page 1)
(page 3)
Philadelphia Pittsburgh

Main Signs Page