Portland Signs (page 3)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Franz Family Bakery
Portland, OR
Dinihanian Building
Portland, OR
The Franz Family Bakery was established in Portland in 1906. The strengthened acrylic "spinning loaf" sign was built in 1956 to celebrate the company's 50-year anniversary. The 18-foot-long loaf did not have a twist-tie end (aka, "tail") originally. That feature was probably added in 1980 when the sign was damaged in a windstorm and new skins were installed. The sign was restored in 2020 by Security Signs. There is a similar revolving loaf sign at the Franz Bakery in Spokane Valley, WA. For more, see this website. [map]

The Dinihanian Building once housed the M.E. Dinihanian oriental rug company. This sign still revolves. [map]

Canton Grill [gone]
Portland, OR
Chin's Kitchen
Portland, OR
The Canton Grill was established in 1944. This neon sign was from 1967 when the restaurant expanded. The restaurant closed in 2020 and this sign is gone now. For more, see this website.

Chin's Kitchen opened in 1949. This neon facade is from then. The neon was restored in 2017. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Fairley's Pharmacy
Portland, OR


Fairley's Pharmacy opened here in 1920. Around 2009, the signs were removed and replaced. For more, see this website. [map]

Al's Shoes & Boots
Portland, OR
The Man's Shop
Portland, OR
West Moreland Hardware
Portland, OR
Al's Shoes & Boots was established in 1947. This sign appears to be from then. When the store moved, this sign was brought along from the original location. The Weather-Bird Shoes rooster is also featured on the Dryer's Shoes sign in Columbia, MO. [map]

The Man's Shop opened in 1940. This sign appears to be from the 1950s or 1960s. The central panel must have revolved originally. [map]

The West Moreland Hardware signs are believed to be from around 1950. Around 2017, the bottom panel was changed to read "ACE". For more, see this website. [map]

Del Rancho Motel
Portland, OR
Hung Far Low
Portland, OR
2008: 2015: 2008: 2015:
The Del Rancho Motel sign was probably built in the 1960s. Sometime after 2013, the plastic letter panels and balls on top of the sign were replaced. For more, see this website. [map]

The Hung Far Low restaurant opened here in 1928. This early menu shows this sign and some others were there by the 1940s. It is not known if the sign had neon originally or if it was added later. The main sign is 31 feet tall. The bottom part which read "Cocktails" was added in the 1950s when the restaurant added a bar. At some point, the neon was removed from the sign and it was repainted. "Chop Suey" was changed to "Est. 1928." while "Cocktails" was changed to "Building". In 2005, the restaurant moved to a different part of town leaving this sign behind. In 2008, the sign was taken down for safety reasons and put in storage. In 2010, it was restored and reinstalled. The original wording on the sign has also been restored. There are plans to illuminate the sign at night with spotlights. Neon might be added later. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Estate Hotel
Portland, OR
All Service Musical [gone]
Portland, OR
Voodoo Doughnut
Portland, OR
Oregon Leather Company
Portland, OR
The Estate Hotel was built in 1913. This sign may be pre-1950s. For more, see this website. [map]

All Service Musical was established in 1981. This might be an adapted sign from a previous business. This photo is from 2015. By 2017, the store and sign were gone. For more, see this website.

Voodoo Doughnut opened in 2003. This sign is at the original location. For more, see this website. [map]

The Oregon Leather Company was established in 1953. This sign may be from then. [map]

Brooklyn Pharmacy
Portland, OR
The Brooklyn Pharmacy opened in 1897 and has moved several times. These signs might be from the 1950s. [map]

Burlingame Fred Meyer
Portland, OR
This Burlingame Fred Meyer store was built in 1950. These signs appear to be from then. [map]

Jake's Famous Crawfish
Portland, OR
Capitol Hill Motel
Portland, OR
Jake's Famous Crawfish opened in 1892 as the Mueller and Meier saloon. The business moved to its current location in 1911. It became Jake's in 1920. This sign appears to be from the 1940s or 1950s. The backlit plastic lobster was probably added in the 1960s. [map]

The Capitol Hill Motel opened in 1940. The horizontal sign might be from then. The vertical sign is probably from the 1950s. It was repainted in 2010. For more, see this website. [map]

More Portland Signs:
Bearing Service Co. [map]
Chinese Village Restaurant [gone]
Deluxe Service [gone]
Fish Grotto & Hotel Joyce
George Morlan Plumbing
Grove Hotel (now Hoxton Hotel) [map]
Hires Root Beer [map]
Hoot Owl Market
Irvington Theatre
McMenamin's Tavern & Pool
Norse Hall
Original Hotcake House
Twilight Room
White Satin Sugar
various theatres

Portland (page 1) Portland (page 2)
Oregon (page 1) Oregon (page 2) Oregon (page 3) Oregon (page 4)

Main Signs Page