email: roadarch@outlook.com

Nebraska Signs (page 1)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Big John's Cafe
Ainsworth, NE
Big John's Cafe may have opened in 1970. This sign originally had neon. For more, see this website. [map]

Alma:
Arrow Lodge [gone]

Poling Drugs
Beatrice, NE
Wilcox Cleaners
Beatrice, NE
Poling Drugs opened in 1950 and this sign appears to be from then. I believe the store has closed but this sign remains. [map]

The Wilcox Cleaners sign appears to be from the 1940s or 1950s. The store is closed but the sign remains. [map]

Offutt Motor Court
Bellevue, NE
2009: 2022:
The Offutt Motor Court is located near the Offutt Air Force Base. This sign appears to be from the 1950s. The neon was still there in 2015. However, by 2018, the neon had been replaced with backlit plastic. [map]

Bridgeport:
Jack & Jill Foods [gone]

Ponca Valley Seed
Butte, NE
arrow
Cairo, NE
Capri Motel
Fairbury, NE
Masonic Temple
Fairbury, NE
The DeKalb corn sign at Ponca Valley Seeds appears to be modern. There is another one like this at Thelander Seed in Grant, NE. [map]

This arrow sign is installed around 2017 for the Junk-tion 2&11 junk store. The store is closed but this sign is still there. These arrows were mass-produced by Superior Electrical Advertising in Long Beach, CA. Many of them had bulb text in the middle reading "OPEN" and other things. [map]

The Capri Motel sign appears to be from the 1950s or 1960s. [map]

The Masonic Temple was built in 1917. This sign is probably from the 1950s. The backlit panels appear to be reverse-painted glass. [map]

Chadron:
77 Longbranch Saloon [map]
ABC Electric [gone]

More Fairbury:
American Legion [gone]

Fairmont:
Belair Motel [gone]
Food [map]

Franklin:
Hotel Lincoln [gone]

Lake Sunset
Motel
Fremont, NE
Gerald Sampter Clothier
Fremont, NE
Friend
Friend, NE
The Lake Sunset Motel sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. The motel looked like it had been closed for many years when this photo was taken in 2008. In 2014, the motel was demolished. This sign was still there in 2021. [map]

The Gerald Sampter Clothier opened in 1925 and closed in 2021. This sign remains. The sign might be from the 1950s. [map]

The Friend sign installed here around 2017 after being in storage for many years and then restored. The sign was produced by the State Display Co. sign company in Lincoln, NE. It might be from the 1940s or 1950s. [map]

More Fremont:
Karl's Jewelry [gone]
Modern-Aire Motel [vintage; gone]
Quality Dry Cleaners

Fullerton:
American Legion
J&L Steak House & Tavern [gone]

Geneva arrow
Geneva, NE
Gering Bakery
Gering, NE
The Geneva arrow sign was built in 1952. It was taken down around 1978 for road widening and moved into storage at different locations. In 2020, it was restored and reinstalled. [map]

The Gering Bakery opened in 1950 and this sign appears to be from then. For more, see this website. [map]

Creative Signs by Cozad
Gering, NE
The signs at Creative Signs by Cozad were created by Tom Cozad. They have been there since at least 2007. [map]

Bartenbach Paints
Grand Island, NE
Coney Island Lunch Room
Grand Island, NE
Bartenbach Paints was established in 1880. This sign is probably from the 1940s. At some point, the family-owned business became the Bartenbach Galleries and focused on framing and the sign was adapted. The store closed in 2018. The building was sold in 2022 but the sign will remain. [map]

The Coney Island Lunch Room has been here since 1933. This sign is probably from the 1950s. For more, see this website. [map]

More Grand Island:
Grand Island Federation of Labor Temple [map]
Lazy V Motel [gone]
Ruby's Adding Machines [gone]
Skate Island [gone]
Super Bowl

Hartington Hotel
Hartington, NE
Barrel Bar Lounge
Hastings, NE
W.G. Pauley Lumber Co.
Hastings, NE
The Hartington Hotel was built in 1915. This sign was there by the 1940s. The hotel closed after a fire in 1995. In 2018, the building was restored and the sign was repainted. The remaining neon was removed. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

TheBarrel Bar Lounge opened in 1963 and this sign appears to be from then. The sign was repainted around 2010. [map]

The W.G. Pauley Lumber Co. has been around since at least the 1950s. [map]

More Hartington:
Steffen Drug

Keith's Drive-in Drugs
Hastings, NE
Hotel Imperial
Imperial, NE
These Keith's Drive-in Drugs signs must be from 1979 when the business opened. The building was constructed in 1949 for Mouer's Restaurant which closed in 1959. [map]

The Hotel Imperial sign may be from the 1940s. The building is now used for office space and residential lofts. [map]

Hickman:
Jack & Jill Food Center [gone]

Jackson:
The Lariat [vintage; gone]

Nebraska Signs
(page 2)
Nebraska Signs
(page 3)
Omaha Signs Main Signs Page