Nebraska Signs (page 2)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Central Auto Electric
Kearney, NE
The Central Auto Electric building was built in 1946 for Bierman's Auto Electric. The "United Motors Service" and "Carbureter Repairs" signs were mass-produced. The latter signs were produced by Kirn Signs and also had an alternate spelling of "Carburetor." The United Motors signs have animated neon wheels. Only a few of both signs are still on public display. [map]

Hammer Motel
Kearney, NE
Lexington, NE
The Hammer Motel was built in 1947 demolished in 1995. The sign is believed to have been destroyed. In 2011, this smaller, replica sign was created and installed at the Great Platte River Road Archway. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Hollingsworth Motel was built in 1946. There was originally simple, neon pole sign. This sign might be from the late 1950s or 1960s. For more, see this website. [map]

More Kearney:
Rodeo Court [map]

More Lexington:
Barmore Drugs [gone]
FOE [gone]

Bob Stephens
and Associates
Lincoln, NE
Bob Stephens and Associates was established in 1954. This sign might be from the 1960s. [map]

Meier's Cork 'n Bottle
Lincoln, NE
Meier's Cork 'n Bottle opened as Tavlin's Cork 'n Bottle in 1965. The signs appear to be from then. It became Meier's in 1978 and the neon name panel must have been replaced then. [map]

Ace Rent to Own Furniture
Lincoln, NE
Arnold's Tavern
Lincoln, NE
2009: 2022: 2009: 2022:
Ace Rent to Own Furniture has several locations in and around Lincoln. The chain was established in 1982. I don't know if this sign was built then or if it was adapted from another business. The top part looks like it revolved at one time. In 2012, the sign was removed and repainted. The bottom panel now reads "Rent Appliances". [map]

Arnold's Tavern opened in 1945. This sign might be from the 1950s. The neon at the bottom alternates between "Beer" and "Liquor". [map]

Lincoln, NE
Inn & Out [gone]
Lincoln, NE
N Street Drive-in [gone]
Lincoln, NE
Colin Electric Motor Service
Lincoln, NE
Anderson Studio opened here by the 1920s. The photography studio is gone but this sign remains. The sign is probably from the 1950s. It is now partially covered by the "slipcover" that was added to the building probably in the 1960s. [map]

This Tastee Inn & Out opened in 1948 and closed in 2013. In 2016, the building was demolished. The sign was removed and put in storage. Initially, there were plans to put the sign on the building that would be built on the site. However, the sign was donated to the Museum of American Speed in Lincoln, NE. It will eventually be restored and displayed there. There is another location in Sioux City, IA which opened in 1955 and is still in business. That location has a similar sign. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2.

The N Street Drive-in sign featured a bulb-pouring bottle. This photo is from 2009. By 2012, the liquor store had relocated and this sign was gone.

The Colin Electric Motor Service sign was built in 1947. When it was moved in 1956, more neon tubing was added. The sign was moved to its current location in 1974. The sign was refurbished in 2012. [map]

More Lincoln:
Nelson Cleaners [gone]
Q.P. Store [gone]

Klein's Motor Electric [gone]
Sun Motor Court [gone]
Sutton's Jewelers

Frigidaire [gone]

City Cafe [gone]
Pioneer Motel [vintage; gone]

Nebraska City, NE
Deluxe Motel
Neligh, NE
Hotel Elkhorn
Norfolk, NE
This Fraternal Order of Eagles sign is probably unique. I have never seen another one like it. [map]

The Deluxe Motel was known as the Deluxe Auto Courts in 1948. There was a "Cabins" sign then which might have been adapted later for this "Motel" panel. For more, see this website. [map]

The Hotel Elkhorn sign is probably from the 1920s or 1930s. It was restored in 2019. For more, see this website. [map]

More Neligh:
Gibson Appliances [gone?]

More Norfolk:
Fifth Street Tavern
Norfolk Hatchery [gone]
Office Bar [map]

Cedar Lodge Motel
North Platte, NE
Hub Bar
North Platte, NE
Fort Cody
Trading Post
North Platte, NE
The Cedar Lodge Motel was built in 1940. This sign is probably from the late 1950s or 1960s. [map]

The Hub Bar opened in 1939 as the Kronquest Bar. It became the Hub Bar in 1943. This sign might be from the 1950s. [map]

This 30-foot-tall sign of Buffalo Bill Cody stands in front of the Fort Cody Trading Post tourist attraction. The Trading Post was founded in 1963 and moved to this location in 1968. This sign was either moved here or installed here then. It originally had neon and different text panels below. The sign is now closer to the ground. There is also an Giant Indian statue here. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

Western Motel
North Platte, NE
The Western Motel was built in 1948. This sign may be from then or the 1950s. There was also a Western Motel Cafe next door with a giant cowboy sign. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Hotel Pawnee
North Platte, NE
White Horse Bar
North Platte, NE
Tom-Tom Coffee Shop
North Platte, NE
The Hotel Pawnee was built in 1929 as the Hotel Yancey. There were different signs then: a rooftop sign and a tall blade sign. It was renamed the Hotel Pawnee in 1933. This sign may have been installed then. In 2020, restoration of the building began. The sign may be restored as well. [map]

The White Horse Bar opened in 1936 and is located on the ground floor of the Hotel Pawnee. The sign was probably built in 1941. The bar and the Tom-Tom Club closed around 1974. Both businesses may be revived after the building is restored. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Tom-Tom Club Coffee Shop was also located on the ground floor of the Hotel Pawnee. It opened in 1941 and this sign was installed then. While the building was being restore in 2020, the sign was discovered underneath decades-old paneling on the facade. It will remain uncovered and will likely be restored. For more, see this website. [map]

Pioneer Motel [gone]
North Platte, NE
Swan's Furniture [gone]
North Platte, NE
The Pioneer Motel sign was probably from the 1950s or 1960s. This photo is from 2006. By 2008, the motel had been demolished and the sign was gone.

Swan's Furniture was founded in Kearney, NE in 1936. In 1955, the company expanded to five locations including this one. The neon sign was probably built then. In 1995, the North Platte store moved to this location. The sign was probably brought along from the previous location. The lower part of the sign appeared to be later, possibly from the 1960s. In 2019, a storm knocked the sign into the street and it was removed. It will be replaced with a plastic box sign.

More North Platte:
Bar-X Motel [vintage; gone]

Nebraska Signs
(page 1)
Nebraska Signs
(page 3)
Omaha Signs Main Signs Page