St. Louis Signs (page 1)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Phil's Bar-B-Q [gone]
St. Louis, MO
Federhofer's Bakery
St. Louis, MO
Phil's Bar-B-Q is still there but this sign is now at the Antique Warehouse. This sign had been repainted and restored shortly before this photo was taken in 2005. The pig was more detailed before that. Originally, this sign advertised for the Stumble Inn. For more, see this website.

The Federhofer's Bakery sign was built in 1957. It originally advertised for Mueller's Bakery. Federhofer's added the brown panel with its name to the sign when they bought the bakery in 1966. The sign panels including the baker are 30 feet tall. The sign is lit during store hours. For more, see this website. [map]

G.B. Windler Co. Florist [gone]
St. Louis, MO
Gravois Auto Top
and Seat Covers
St. Louis, MO
St. Louis, MO
St. Louis, MO
The G.B. Windler Co. Florist store opened in 1957. This sign appears to be from then. This photo is from 2012. The store and the sign were gone by 2015.

Gravois Auto Top and Seat Covers is still in business. This store opened in 1954 and this sign is probably from then. [map]

Hanneke Hardware, later the Hanneke Hardware & Industrial Supply Co., was established in 1927. This sign is probably from the 1940s or 1950s. The store closed in 2015. The building was still vacant and the sign still there in 2016. In 2017, the sign was removed. In 2018, the sign was restored by David Hutson of Neon Time. The text at the bottom was changed from "PAINT" to "BUILDING." [map]

Savvi Formalwear sells tuxedos and other formal attire for men. The store previously housed Gingiss Formalwear which opened here in 1970. The sign is believed to be from 1953 when Leonard's Tuxedo opened at this location. It was built by Kirn Signs. The neon has been removed. [map]

Lester's Music Store & Studios
St. Louis, MO
St. Louis, MO
Lester's Music Store & Studios is gone but this sign remains. [map]

The Melroys sign and vitrolite storefront were added to this building in 1946. I believe Melroys was a clothing store. The space now houses a leather goods and clothing store. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Johnny's Market [gone]
St. Louis, MO
J.H. Glaser & Son
Marine Supplies
St. Louis, MO
St. Louis, MO
Shoes [gone]
St. Louis, MO
shoe store [gone]
St. Louis, MO
Skyway Auto Repair & Service
St. Louis, MO
Johnny's Market opened in 1944. I assume this sign is from then or shortly thereafter. The store closed in 2012. Later that year, the sign was sold at auction to a private collector. For more, see this website.

J.H. Glaser & Son Marine Supplies is gone but this sign remains. [map]

This Lemmons sign is probably from the 1950s. The space is still used as a restaurant and bar. For more, see this website. [map]

Trautwein's Shoes closed in 2003 but the sign and window displays remained until 2011. The sign is now at the Antique Warehouse. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2.

A more modern Red Goose sign hung above this former shoe store. Around 2019, the panels were gone. The frame was used to display new bright yellow panels for a museum.

Skyway Auto Repair & Service giant wrench sign was built in 2005. The wrench is 25 feet long and weighs about 900 pounds. [map]

Danno's Pub [gone]
St. Louis, MO
South Public Market
St. Louis, MO
Style Cleaners [gone]
St. Louis, MO
Danno's American Pub opened in 2009. The bar was previously known as Georges Route 66 Bar & Grill. There has been a bar here since at least the 1980s. This cocktail sign was probably modern. It was gone by 2018.

The South Public Market is still open. This sign might be from the 1950s or earlier. [map]

The Style Cleaners' neon sign was probably from the 1950s. The clock and plastic panels were probably from the 1960s. This photo is from 2010. By 2014, the store had closed and the sign was gone.

Missouri Athletic Club
St. Louis, MO
St. Louis, MO
Studio [gone]
St. Louis, MO
on Washington
St. Louis, MO
Biebel Brothers Roofing
St. Louis, MO
The Missouri Athletic Club was established in 1903. This combination neon and bulbs sign appears to be from 1950s or earlier. For more, see this website. [map]

This Knickerbocker Lofts sign was built in the 1940s for the Knickerbocker Clothing Company. The sign is 28 feet tall. The building was converted into lofts in 2000 and the sign was restored at that time. For more, see this website. [map]

Tanner Studio was a photography studio. The business was long gone but this sign remained. It is probably from the 1940s or 1950s. This photo is from 2012. In 2014, the sign was removed and is now in a private collection. For more, see this website.

I believe the Windows on Washington sign was built around 1999. The animated sign is 25 feet tall and is installed on the exterior's sixth floor. It features flashing neon and a popping cork. For more, see this website. [map]

Biebel Brothers Roofing was established in 1905. While the faces of this sign appear to be new, the frame itself is old. [map]

Shop 'n Save
St. Louis, MO
Houn' Dog Drive-in
St. Louis, MO
The Shop 'n Save sign makes reference to the Gateway Arch. It was built in 1963 for a Kroger supermarket. There were two other signs like this which are gone now. Around 2021, this sign was changed to reflect that the supermarket had become a Schnucks. [map]

This Houn' Dog Drive-in sign is displayed inside Fitz's restaurant. The sign was originally installed on the roof of the drive-in in Marble Hill, MO in the mid or late 1950s. The drive-in was sold in the early 1980s and the sign was removed at that point. One of the partners at Fitz's found the sign in the basement of a building in St. Louis. He bought the sign and had the neon restored. It was installed at Fitz's just before the restaurant opened in 1993. The dog is lit in two-part animation. The sign is about six feet long. For more, see this website.

Alex Waldbart
Florist [gone]
St. Louis, MO
Pevely Dairy Co. [gone]
St. Louis, MO
Alex Waldbart Florist was established in 1872. This sign might be from the 1930s. In 2017, it was announced that the business was moving. The sign is now at the Antique Warehouse, a private collection. For more, see this website.

The Pevely Dairy Co. was founded in the 1880s. In 2012, the production plant buildings and smokestack were demolished. However, this building remains for now. The terra cotta milk bottles were removed from the building's entrance. Part of the sign was knocked over on the roof. The letter "P" crashed to the ground when workers were trying to remove the sign. It was destroyed. The "EVELEY" letters were still laying on the roof as of 2015. The building was demolished in 2017. It's not known if the remaining letters were saved. They were 1980s replacements from an older sign. For more, see this website.

Goody Goody Diner [gone]
St. Louis, MO
R.A. Guinner Plumbing Co.
St. Louis, MO
Park's Drugs
St. Louis, MO
The Goody Goody Diner opened in 1948. This sign was built during a remodeling in 1957. I believe it was originally painted red with white letters. At some point, the sign was painted blue and had white lettering. Text that read "A St. Louis Tradition since 1954" was painted over. The 1954 date must have been a reference to the change in ownership and when car hops were added. In 2018, the sign was replaced with new panels of the same shape and backlit plastic letters. In 2019, the building was damaged in a fire. By 2021, the sign and most of the building were gone. For more, see this website.

The R.A. Guinner Plumbing Co. signs are probably from the 1950s or earlier. The crunched spot on the left of the facade sign was replaced with a new panel around 2017. The new panel has simulated, painted bulb sockets and tubing holes. All of the neon was also removed from the sign then. Around 2018, the neon on the projecting sign was restored. [map]

The Park's Drugs store is gone. This sign was saved and was displayed in the ground floor windows of the building where the store was located. There was talk that the sign might be reinstalled on the building in the future. This photo is from 2010. By 2017, the sign was hung inside the space. I don't know if it is still there now. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Dutch Boy Paints
St. Louis, MO
This Dutch Boy Paints sign hangs above the Paint Supply Company. These signs were mass-produced and installed all over the country. A couple of similar signs are located in Flemington, NJ and Powers, OR. [map]

Sporting News
St. Louis, MO
The first issue of Sporting News was publishing in St. Louis in 1886. The company moved to Charlotte, NC in 2008. The building is now occupied by the Sporting News Lofts. The sign remains on the side of the building. [map]

Behrmann's Tavern
St. Louis, MO
Dry Dock
St. Louis, MO
Pat's Bar & Grill
St. Louis, MO
Skip's Place Too [gone]
St. Louis, MO
There are several of these Budweiser signs around town. They were produced by Kirn Signs. They are known as "V-9" signs: "V" for their two-face angular design and "9" for their nine-foot length. The Dry Dock sign was part of a "V-12" sign. The "12" indicated that the sign was 12 feet long. The photo of the Skip's Place Too sign is from 2010. That sign is now at the Antique Warehouse in St. Louis. Anheuser-Busch was established in St. Louis in 1852. In 1876, the company introduced Budweiser beer. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [Behrmann's map]; [Dry Dock map]; [Pat's map]

St. Louis (page 2) St. Louis (page 3)
MO (page 1) MO (page 2) MO (page 3) MO (page 4) MO (page 5) Kansas City
Main Signs Page