Minnesota Signs (page 2)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Ebner's Bait [gone]
Elk River, MN
Dee's Bar
Ely, MN
Kat's Drive in Liquors [gone]
Ely, MN
Zaverl's Bar
Ely, MN
Ebner's Bait opened in 1949. This sign might have been from then. It was gone by 2018. For more, see this website.

Dee's Bar sign features freestanding stars and the remains of an animated pouring shaker into a cocktail glass. It is probably from the 1950s. [map]

The Kat's Drive in Liquors sign was probably from the 1960s or 1970s. In 2019, it was acquired and removed by American Pickers.

Zaverl's Bar opened in 1946. This sign is probably from then. [map]

More Elk River:
Kemper Drugs [gone]

More Ely:
Ace Hardware [map]

Koke's Motel
Eveleth, MN
Marge's Liquor Store
Eveleth, MN
Dandelet Brothers Jewelry
Faribault, MN
Koke's Motel was built in 1952. [map]

I believe Marge's Liquor Store opened in 1952. [map]

Dandelet Brothers Jewelry was established in 1925. This vitrolite glass tile facade is probably from then. The store was open when this photo was taken in 2012. By 2013, it had closed. The building was still vacant in 2014. By 2019, the Dandelet letters had been removed from the facade. [map]

Maytag Appliances

City Cafe & Bakery
Fergus Falls, MN
Silver Dollar Bar [gone]
Ghent, MN
The City Cafe & Bakery opened here in 1919. The vitrolite facade and neon sign were added in the 1930s. The business closed in 2017. In 2022, it reopened as Bev's City Bakery. [map]

The Silver Dollar Bar opened in 1934. This frame of this sign might be from then with neon channel letters and a plastic face inserted later. The closed in 2011 just after this photo was taken. By 2013, the signs were gone.

More Fergus Falls:
Victor Lundeen Company

Lorraine Motel

Tutt's Bait & Tackle

Forest Lake
Motel [gone]
Grand Rapids, MN
Chalet Lounge
Hermantown, MN
Airliner Motel [gone]
Hermantown, MN
The Forest Lake Motel sign was probably built in the 1950s. By 2018, it was replaced with a modern sign. [map]

The Chalet Lounge sign looks like it might be from the 1960s or 1970s. [map]

The Airliner Motel was located across the street from the Duluth International Airport. The sign was probably from the 1950s. This photo is from 2012. By 2015, the sign was gone.

More Grand Rapids:
Pine Grove Motel [map]

More Hermantown:
Edgetown Motel

Moose Lodge
Hibbing, MN
Hilltop, MN
Janousek's Cafe [gone]
Hutchinson, MN
G.F. Nemitz & Sons
Hutchinson, MN
This Moose Lodge sign might be from the 1950s or 1960s. It might also be a replica sign. In 2020, the Lodge was devastated by a fire. The building was demolished but the sign was moved to the ground on the side of the street where the building was. The lot seems to be used as the Moose Event Center now. [map]

The Flameburger chain was established in 1955 in Falcon Heights, MN. That location is gone now but there is another one in St. Paul. This Hilltop sign might be from the 1960s or it may be a replacement of a previous one. [map]

Janousek's Cafe has been closed since at least 2007. In 2017, the sign was removed and donated to Historic Hutchinson where it will be placed in storage for now.

G.F. Nemitz & Sons has been here since 1912. The sign is now displayed inside the building which houses an event venue. For more see, this website.

More Hibbing:
Androy Hotel
Teske's Jewelers

Rambler Motel
International Falls, MN
Tee Pee Motel [gone]
International Falls, MN
The Rambler Motel was built in 1952. The sign was originally brown and had a yellow star. For more, see this website. [map]

The Tee Pee Motel was built in 1958. It was damaged in a fire in 2017. The motel was demolished in 2019. The sign was gone by 2021. For more, see this website.

Knife River:
Russ Kendall's Smokehouse

Jolly Green Giant signs
Le Sueur, MN
Falls Ballroom
Little Falls, MN
Le Sueur has four Jolly Green Giant signs. The first sign shown above is installed in a city park across the street from the Minnesota Valley Canning Company where Jolly Green Giant products were produced. The sign was installed in the 1980s. Although the plant closed in 1995, the sign still remains. The 60-foot-tall billboard sign, second photo above, is now partially hidden by trees on Route 169. It was erected in 1965 and read "Valley of the Jolly Green Giant". The "Welcome to the Valley" and the representation of the Giant's sidekick, Sprout, were added later. The third sign above in installed next to the Le Sueur Museum. There is a similar sign that I missed which advertises Niblets Corn. It is also at the museum. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]; [map]; [map]

The Falls Ballroom was built in 1950 and this sign appears to be from then. [map]

Long Prairie:
Long Prairie Leader

Lyle Liquor

Standard Oil [gone]
Mankato, MN
Circle Inn
North Mankato, MN
Huey's Saloon [gone]
Maplewood, MN
Northernaire Motel [gone]
Maplewood, MN
This Standard Oil sign stood on the lot of Bollman Oil Inc., a wholesale operation. I don't know if there was ever a gas station here. This photo is from 2008. The sign was gone by 2017.

The Circle Inn opened in 1934 at another location about a block away. This sign appears to be from then. [map]

Huey's Saloon sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. By 2019, the neon had been removed and the sign painted over with light blue paint. For more, see this website. [map]

The Northernaire Motel sign was from the 1950s. The motel is still there. However, this neon sign was replaced with a plastic one just a couple of months after this photo was taken in 2011. For more, see this website.

More Mankato:
Jerry Dutler's Bowl [gone]

Maplewood Wine Cellar [gone]
Maplewood, MN
The Maplewood Wine Cellar building appears to be from the 1960s. The sign on roof is probably a reworked original. By 2022, the building and sign were gone.

MN Signs
page 1
MN Signs
page 3
MN Signs
page 4
Minneapolis St. Paul
Main Signs Page