Indiana Signs (page 3)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Sorg Jewelers
Goshen, IN
Sorg Jewelers
Elkhart, IN
Sorg Jewelers was founded in Roanoke, IL in 1900. This Goshen store opened in the early 1930s. The storefront is faced with vitrolite in pristine condition. The sign is lit at night. A twin sign is installed at their new store in Elkhart. It appears to be the same age so perhaps it came from a previous location. For more, see this website. [Goshen map]; [Elkhart map]

Indiana State Police
Greencastle, IN
former Griffith
Griffith, IN
Smorgasbord [gone]
Hagerstown, IN
Horseshoe Casino
Hammond, IN
This Indiana State Police sign was probably built in the 1950s. This photo is from 2010 when the sign was in Redkey, IN. By 2013, the sign had been moved to the Greencastle office. For more, see this website. [map]

Griffith Furniture had been closed since at least 2008. This photo is from 2009. In 2013, the sign was adapted. There are now backlit plastic letters reading "Billiards" where it originally read "Furniture." The rest of the sign's neon and bulbs were kept. For more, see this website. [map]

Welliver's Smorgasbord opened in 1946. The restaurant closed in 2009. This sign was still there in 2012 when this photo was taken. By 2013, the sign was gone.

This Horseshoe Casino is part of a chain with other locations in Tunica, MS and Bossier City, LA. This Horseshoe was originally the Empress Casino until it was sold and renamed in 2001. In 2004, the company was acquired by Harrah's Entertainment. [map]

More Greencastle:
Moore's Bar [map]

Whitey's Liquors [gone] [map]
Wishing Well Motel [gone]

Minear's Department Store [gone]
Taff Furniture

Beer Port Tavern [gone]

Hartford City:
Hartford Hardware [map]

Country Kitchen [gone] [map]

Highland, IN
Hoosier Highlander
Highland, IN
Nick's Kitchen
Huntington, IN
Miner-Dunn Hamburgers opened here in 1932. This sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. [map]

Hoosier Highlander sells stationery, office and art supplies. This sign appears to be from the 1950s. [map]

Nick's Kitchen has been around since 1908. This sign was built in 2009 as a replica of their original sign from 1947. There had been a plastic sign here for many years. This new sign is lit at night. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

More Hobart:
Cressmoor Lanes
Lake County Divers Supply

More Huntington:
Dairy Queen
Sheryl Manor Motel

V.F.W. [map]

Wayfare Motel
Jeffersonville, IN
Holiday Motel
Jeffersonville, IN
Jerry's Family
Restaurant [gone]
Jeffersonville, IN
The Wayfare Motel opened in 1958 and this sign appears to be from then. The sign was repainted in 2010 just before this photo was taken. Some of the text on the lower part of the sign was painted over. The sign was repainted again around 2019. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Holiday Motel name and the sign's font style must have been inspired by the classic Holiday Inn sign. For more, see this website. [map]

This Jerry's Family Restaurant was built in 1963. I believe this was part of the Jerry's Restaurant chain which had many locations in Kentucky and the South. I don't think any other plastic signs like this one still exist. Just about all the neon signs on the remaining Jerry's restaurant have been replaced with plastic box signs. However, after a fire in 2013, the restaurant was demolished. The sign was gone by 2015. For more, see this website.

More Jeffersonville:
Alben Motel [gone]
Colgate Clock
Gateway Plaza
Gold's Coin Shop [map]
Reeder's Laundry [map]


& Lounge
Kokomo, IN
Victory Cycle Co. [gone]
Kokomo, IN
The Hi-Mark Restaurant & Lounge sign was replaced with a replica in 2007. The original was probably from the 1960s. The panel with the "Hi-Mark" name on it revolves. This photo is from 2009. For more, see this website. [map]

The Victory Cycle Co. was established in 1942. The sign was built in 1952. The store moved soon after this photo was taken in 2009. The sign was sold to a private collector. For more, see this website.

More Kokomo:
Forest Lodge [map]
Lee's Watch & Jewelry [gone]
YMCA [gone]

Pappy's Restaurant
Lafayette, IN
O'Rear's Pastry Shop
Lafayette, IN
Pappy's Restaurant was located next to this sign when this photo was taken around 2001. The restaurant has been gone for many years. By 2017, the sign had been repurposed for a used car lot. "FOOD" now reads "CARS". [map]

O'Rear's Pastry Shop once had another location in town. This is the original and appears to be from the 1950s. Their sign is lit at night. For more, see this website. [map]

More Lafayette:
Original Frozen Custard

Beer's Auto Sales
Lawrenceburg, IN
Beer's Auto Sales has/had a large collection of signs, gas pumps and other car-related and advertising collectables on display. By 2019, all of the signs outside were gone. In 2022, there still appear to be signs inside. [map]

(page 1)
(page 2)
(page 4)
(page 5)
Main Signs Page