Frozen Custard Stands (page 1)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Frozen custard is made with more eggs than ice cream. It is also smoother and softer since it is produced with a continous freeze method and contains less air.

Dairy Corner
Winchester, VA
Bob Jo's Frozen Custard
Wyandotte, MI
Sycamore Drive-in
Logansport, IN
The Dairy Corner opened in 1957. For more, see this website. [map]

Bob Jo's Frozen Custard opened in 1947. [map]

The Sycamore Drive-in has been selling homemade frozen custard since the 1950s. [map]

Don's Original
Rochester, NY
Mountain Mist Custard
Saranac Lake, NY
Don's Original opened in 1945. It features frozen custard, burgers, and "white hots" (pork hot dogs topped with chili sauce). Don's slogan is "Where Quality Predominates". There are now two other locations. The one shown here is the original. [map]

Mountain Mist Custard has been here since 1951. There is another location in Lake Placid, NY. They have different owners now. [map]

Anderson's Custard
Kenmore, NY
Anderson's Custard was founded in New York City in 1946. This location in Kenmore was built in 1953. The building remained basically unchanged until around 2008 when an indoor dining room was added to the front. The top left photo is from around 2001; the others are from 2010. In addition to frozen custard, Anderson's is famous for its roast beef sandwiches ("Beef on Weck"). There are now seven locations in the Buffalo area. For more, see this website. [map]

Krekel's Kustard
Main St.
Decatur, IL
Krekel's Kustard
Wood St.
Decatur, IL
Krekel's Custard
Springfield, IL
Krekel's Kustard was established in 1949. The local chain has six locations and is perhaps best known for their hamburgers. Their Mount Zion location features a cow on the roof and a Chicken Mobile. These Decatur locations spell custard with a "K" while their website spells the word the traditional way. The Main St. stand features a pole sign that reads "Krekel's Dairy Maid". The sign on the roof has been replaced with a more modern one since this photo from 2009. [map]

The Wood St. stand might be the company's original location. The sign has been updated since this 2009 photo. [map]

The Springfield location has an unusual slanted roof and spells custard with a "C". For more, see this website. [map]

Original Frozen Custard
Lafayette, IN
Original Frozen Custard started out in 1932 with an igloo-shaped stand known as The Igloo. That building was replaced with this one in 1947. In 1969, the business was renamed "The Original Frozen Custard." For more, see this website. [map]

Frozen Custard Igloo
Lafayette, IN
The Frozen Custard Igloo is a modern stand. I don't know if there is any relationship with Original Frozen Custard (see above) but the Igloo's signs were obviously inspired by the older stand. [map]

Jarling's Custard Cup
Danville, IL
Jarling's Custard Cup
Champaign, IL
The Jarling's Custard Cup in Danville opened in 1949 when it was known as Potter's Custard Cup. The owner of this building was good friends with the owner of the Original Frozen Custard (see above) and was given the plans to build this stand. [map]

The Jarling's Custard Cup in Champaign opened in 1983. The building originally housed Marty K's Drive-in. There was another location in Danville, IL with a similar building. A third building in Danville looks like it was probably another location. This building in Decatur, IL looks similar but it was supposedly built in 1970 as a Spudnuts. For more, see this website. [map]

Massey's Frozen Custard
Carlisle, PA
Massey's Frozen Custard opened in 1949. The neon ice cream cone flashes on and off at night. For more, see this website. [map]

Fredericksburg, VA
Carl's opened in 1947 in a former gas station and restaurant building in Fredericksburg. In 1950, a Falls Church, VA location was built. The building was designed by Ashton Skinner and featured a triangulated sign on the roof and other sign letters on the building. It was operated by Carl's brothers and known as the Frozen Dairy Bar.

The current Fredericksburg building was built in 1953 using a similar design and signs. Carl's continues to make its frozen custard with the original Electro-Freeze ice cream machines which were purchased in 1947 for the original location. There are only about a dozen known frozen custard stands around the country that still use these vintage machines including: Hank's Frozen Custard in Conneaut Lake, PA; Glen's Homemade Custard in Springdale, PA; Putz's Creamy Whip in Cincinnati, OH; Carl's offers vanilla, chocolate and strawberry. For more, see this website. [map]

Ted Drewes Frozen Custard
St. Louis, MO
This Ted Drewes Frozen Custard Route 66 location opened in 1941. There is another, smaller location in town. The company was founded in 1929 with a stand in Florida. Ted Drewes is world-famous for its "concretes" (super thick milkshakes). In 2022, the pole sign was removed for restoration. For more, see these websites 1 and 2. [map]

Frozen Custard
page 2
Eateries Main Page