Kansas Mid-Century Modern Buildings (page 3)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

H.D. Lee Jeans
Mission Woods, KS
The H.D. Lee Jeans building was built in 1967 for offices and manufacturing. It later housed the Marley Company and Layne Energy. In 2014, the building was renovated and is now known as the 1900 Building. It houses offices, restaurants, and event space. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Bob Owen Realtors
Overland Park, KS
The Bob Owen Realtors building was built in 1962 and featured a reception area with a fireplace. The building now houses Elevate Property Advisors. For more, see this website. [map]

former Katz Drug
Overland Park, KS
This Katz Drug store was designed by Kivett & Myers and built in 1959. It later housed a Skaggs Drug and an Osco Drug, after that. The building has housed a CVS Pharmacy since around 2007. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

D.W. Newcomers & Sons Funeral Home
Overland Park, KS
The D.W. Newcomers & Sons Funeral Home was designed by Linscott Scott Kiene & Haylett and built from 1962-1963. The building now houses the Overland Park Funeral Chapel. For more, see this website. [map]

former AMF West Lanes (King Louie Lanes)
Overland Park, KS


The former AMF West Lanes was built as the King Louie Lanes. More specifically, it was known as King Louie West. I believe King Louie East on Troost in Kansas City, MO was built earlier. King Louie West was built in two phases. The original, bowling alley building is from 1948. In the mid-1960s, an addition was built for a billiards room, locker room, and an ice skating rink. The folded plate roof, tower, and rocky facade were added at that time. The AMF West Lanes closed in 2009 and the building was still vacant when these photos were taken in 2010. In 2011, it was announced that the Johnson County Museum of History had purchased the building and would be relocating there. Since 2017, the building has housed the Johnson County Arts & Heritage Center. The multi-panel sign is gone now. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

There's not much left of interest at the King Louie East building which now houses the Academy for Integrated Arts. However, these mushroom canopies are still at the back of the building. [map]