email: roadarch@outlook.com

Texas Drive-ins (page 1)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Bonham Drive-in
Bonham, TX
The Bonham Drive-in was built by the mid-1950s. It has been abandoned for many years. [map]

Starlite Drive-in
Brenham, TX
2006: 2011: 2018:
The Starlite Drive-in opened around the 1950s and closed in 1985. The screentower remains and is patched up from time to time. For more, see this website. [map]

Sandell Drive-in
Clarendon, TX
The Sandell Drive-in opened in 1955 and closed in 1984. It reopened in 2002. The ticket booth is a repurposed Clic Photo kiosk. The only other example of these that I know of is this one in Joshua Tree, CA. For more, see this website. [map]

former Jefferson Drive-in
Dallas, TX (now Kennedale, TX)
2003: 2017:
The Jefferson Drive-in opened in 1949 and closed in 1987. It reopened in 1989 but closed again in 1990. The six-story screen tower featured a neon mural of cartoon characters playing in a band while a man and woman danced. It was the only remaining drive-in still standing in the Dallas area. In 2003, the property was being used as a truck parking lot. In 2004, the Dallas school district bought the site. The remaining screentower and ticket booth were demolished to build a new elementary school. The marquee sign was moved and repurposed for Red's Roadhouse. For more, see this website. [map]

Bronco Drive-in
El Paso, TX
The Bronco Drive-in opened 1949 and closed in 1975. The property is now used as a flea market. The neon sign on the building was removed around 2018. The pole sign was removed around 2019. The horse head, which was originally installed on top of the screen, remains. For more, see this website. [map]

Galaxy Drive-in Theatre
Ennis, TX
The Galaxy Drive-in Theatre opened in 2004. There were initially three screens. Two other screens have been added since then. There are also two 18-hole miniature golf courses. These photos are from 2011. By 2019, the arrow at the top of the sign was gone and the letters had been changed. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

Last Drive-in Picture Show
Gatesville, TX
The Last Drive-in Picture Show opened in 1950 as the Circle Drive-in. In 1964, it became the Town & Country Drive-in. It was renamed the Last Drive-in Picture Show in 1989. In 1972, a walk-in theatre was added. There is also a mini golf. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Graham Drive-in
Graham, TX
The Graham Drive-in opened in 1955 and is still operating. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Texas Drive-ins
(page 2)
Drive-ins Main Page