email: roadarch@outlook.com
Loading

Pittsburgh Signs

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Heinz Ketchup
Pittsburgh, PA
Clark Bar
Pittsburgh, PA
Equitable Gas clock
Pittsburgh, PA
The Heinz Ketchup neon sign features a pouring ketchup bottle which empties into the lettering below. The sign, built in 1995, is nearly 43 feet tall and has 1,200 lights. The sign was taken down in 2007 and reinstalled nearby shortly thereafter. For more, see this website. There are also two 35 foot tall neon Heinz bottles that pour ketchup in Heinz Field (football stadium). [map]

The D.L. Clark Company made their candy bars in this North Side building from 1911 to 1986. The Clark Bar sign was built in 1948 and installed on the roof. It had neon originally. At one time, there were signs below it for Clark's other candy bars (Zagnut and Crispy). In 1999, manufacturing was moved to Massachusetts and the building was taken over by the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review newspaper who wanted to replace the sign with their own. The old Clark sign was restored and moved to the back of the parking lot behind the building. [map]

The Equitable Gas clock was originally part of the Duquesne Brewery. It was built in 1933. With a diameter of 60 feet, it was the largest single face clock in the world at the time. The brewery opened in 1899 and closed in the 1970s. The clock was stopped at 6:30 for at least ten years. At some point, Stroh's took over the building and painted their logo over the clock. In 2002, Equitable Gas restored the clock and added their name. In 2009, the clock was leased to AT&T and the clock was repainted again. The clock was still orange and bore the AT&T name in 2014. By 2016, the clock had been painted grey and was brand-less. For more, see this website. [map]

Wholey
Pittsburgh, PA
Kelly's Bar & Lounge
Pittsburgh, PA
Chief's Cafe
Pittsburgh, PA
The Wholey fish sign is about 50 feet long and 25 feet high. The bulb sign was strung up along a nearby building sometime in the late 1980s. The sign is lit at night with the fish's eye blinking on and off. Wholey is a fish market with origins tracing back to 1912. In 2013, there was talk of relocating the sign. However, in the end, the sign stayed put. For more, see this website. [map]

Kelly's Bar & Lounge has been here since the 1940s. This sign is lit at night. For more, see this website. [map]

The Chief's Cafe bar was opened by a city Fire Chief, possibly in the 1930s. Does anyone know more about the history of this place or when this sign was built? [map]

YMCA
Pittsburgh, PA
Alvin's Jewelry [gone]
Pittsburgh, PA
This YMCA sign is probably from the 1950s. There are similar signs like this around the country including these in Wichita Falls, TX and Fullerton, CA. For more, see this website. [map]

The Alvin's Jewelry sign appears to be from the 1950s. It features a non-functioning clock. This photo is from 2010. By 2011, the business and sign were gone.

Lucky's Tavern
Pittsburgh, PA
Klein's Restaurant
Pittsburgh, PA
Tiki Lounge
Pittsburgh, PA
Lucky's Tavern is also known as the Real Luck Cafe. This sign probably predates both names. [map]

The Klein's Restaurant sign is located at the Senator John Heinz History Center. This sign is probably from the 1950s. Originally, the sign was animated with the lobster's claw opening and closing. The restaurant closed in 1992 and the sign was donated to the museum. For more, see this website.

The Tiki Lounge opened in 2002 and this sign is from then. For more, see this website. [map]

More Pittsburgh:
Walsh's Lounge & Bar [gone]

PA (page 1) PA (page 2) PA (page 3) Philadelphia

Main Signs Page