email: roadarch@outlook.com

Pennsylvania Signs (page 3)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Pittsburgh Paints
Lancaster, PA
Lans-Bowl [gone]
Lansdale, PA
Ligonier Beach
Ligonier, PA
This Pittsburgh Paints sign is located at Pittsburgh Coatings & Supply Co. These embossed plastic signs were mass-produced. However, only a few of them are still on display. [map]

Lans-Bowl opened in the 1950s. The bowling alley was destroyed by fire in 2007 and demolished. This sign is gone.

Ligonier Beach, a restaurant and swim club, opened in 1925. The beach is actually a giant-sized pool. [map]

Lebanon:
Pushnik's Diner [gone]

Blu Tavern & Motel
Llewellyn, PA
Pauley's Electric Shop [gone]
Maxatawny, PA
Theatre Bar
McKeesport, PA
The Blu Tavern & Motel, aka Massari's Blu Tavern, was established in 1946. The restaurant moved here in 1952 and erected this sign. This photo is from 2010. The sign has been restored since then. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Pauley's Electric Shop was gone but this sign was still there in 2009 when this photo was taken. The sign was still there in 2013 but gone by 2015. These Philco signs were mass-produced with the name of the business inserted in the horizontal band.

The Theatre Bar appears to be from the 1940s. For more, see this website. [map]

McConnellsburg:
Johnnie's Motel [map]

Quality Cleaners
McKees Rocks, PA
Wunder Bar
Midland, PA
Quality Cleaners features a great-looking diamond-patterned facade and stylish plastic signs. [map]

The Wunder Bar sign is probably from the 1950s. It is lit at night. For more, see this website. [map]

Milford Motel
Milford, PA
Jerry Kitman Finer Furniture
Millvale, PA
The Milford Motel sign is probably from the 1950s. It is lit at night. For more, see this website. [map]

Jerry Kitman Finer Furniture was established in 1943. The facade is covered with vitrolite glass tiles. [map]

Pine Burr Inn [gone]
Mount Carmel, PA
Hank's Frozen Custard
& Mexican Food
New Brighton, PA
Shenango Bowl-A-Way [gone]
New Castle, PA
This photo of the Pine Burr Inn is from 2007. By 2009, it was replaced with a plastic box sign.

Hank's Frozen Custard opened in 1947. The artist's palette sign was meant to represent the multitude of flavors sold. Hank's began selling Mexican Food around 1960. The original stand was replaced in 2001 with a much larger building. The custard is still made on the premises with four Electro Freeze machines from 1950. There is another location in Conneaut Lake, PA which opened in 1952. That stand is independently operated. For more, see this website. For more frozen custard stands, see this page. [map]

The Shenango Bowl-A-Way opened in 1957. There was a pole sign and a rooftop sign. In 2013, the signs were either removed or destroyed and the building was demolished. For more, see this website.

New Bloomfield:
Bloomfield Pharmacy [map]

More New Castle:
Business Lounge [gone]

Myers Drug Store
Norristown, PA
Bob's Flower Shop
Northampton, PA
Nor-Pole Drive Thru [gone]
Orangeville, PA
The Myers Drug Store is still in operation. This sign obviously had neon originally. [map]

The Bob's Flower Shop sign appears to be in good shape. [map]

The Nor-Pole Drive Thru sign was installed on the roof of the Creekside Family Restaurant. The sign was probably from the 1950s or 1960s. The building appeared to be much more recent. This photo is from 2012. In 2013, the building was destroyed by a fire. Later that year, the sign was gone.

More Norristown:
R.A. Reigner Plumbing & Heating [gone]

Diversified Exteriors
Parkesburg, PA
Max L. Fainberg
Furniture
Plymouth, PA
Bob Weaver
Chevrolet Buick Pontiac [gone]
Pottsville, PA
Weller's Bicycles
Pottsville, PA
This Diversified Exteriors sign looks like a new one. However, the roofer might be from an older sign. It appears that his arm used to move up and down. [map]

Max L. Fainberg Furniture has been here since around 1910. These signs are probably from the 1950s. [map]

These Pontiac and Buick signs were at Bob Weaver Chevrolet Buick Pontiac. They were installed by the Pope Motor Company which previously occupied the building. The Pontiac sign came from another dealership which updated their signs in 1964 just as Pope began selling Pontiacs. The Buick sign was from Pope's original location. Pope began selling Buicks in 1937 so the sign was probably from then. Pope had both signs restored in 2002. These photos are from 2010. By 2013, the building had been remodeled and the signs were gone.

This Weller's Bicycles sign is probably from the 1960s. These signs were mass-produced with different business names added. The bike shop is gone but this sign remains. [map]

Paul Beatty Jewelers
Punxsutawney, PA
Groundhog
Punxsutawney, PA
Paul Beatty Jewelers opened in 1950. This appears to be their original sign. [map]

Punxsutawney is the self-proclaimed "weather capital of the world". Since 1887, the town's groundhog has been forecasting the number of weeks until the arrival of Spring weather. The Groundhog sign on the left was installed downtown in 1991. It was about 24' tall and built from nine sheets of plywood by local volunteers. The sign was moved to Joe's Drive-in when a McDonald's was built at its former site. During the move, the top hat was damaged and repaired. A replica of the sign appeared in the Bill Murray 1993 movie "Groundhog Day". The sign was covered with a Santa hat during the Christmas holidays. After the first photo was taken in 2007, the sign was removed for "restoration". It finally reappeared in 2010 as a new sign, photo at right. [map]

Loyal Order of Moose [gone]
Quakertown, PA
Ford Tractor
Quakertown, PA
This Loyal Order of Moose sign was protected behind plexiglass. This photo is from 2010. The sign was gone by 2013.

This Ford Tractor sign is located at Keller's Farm Machinery. The dealership is still in business. However, this sign is obviously not in working condition. [map]

Arthur Bloom
& Son
Furniture
Reading, PA
Jimmie Kramer's Peanut Bar
Reading, PA
John's Hardware [gone]
Reynoldsville, PA
Fraternal Order
of Eagles [gone]
Reynoldsville, PA
The Arthur Bloom & Son Furniture store is long gone but this sign remains. [map]

Jimmie Kramer's Peanut Bar was established in 1924. The store was moved to this location in 1933. [map]

This photo of the John's Hardware sign is from 2006. The business and sign were both gone by 2009. The sign was seen in the yard of an antiques store in Brookville, PA in 2015.

The Fraternal Order of Eagles sign was probably from the 1950s. This photo is from 2006. By 2013, a new sign had taken its place.

Rochester:
DeAngelis Donuts

Electric City
Scranton, PA
La Trattoria
Scranton, PA
Miller's Mini-Mart [gone]
Sewickley, PA
The Electric City sign is installed on the roof of the Scranton Electric Building. The sign was built in 1916 and is 60 feet tall. It is composed of 3,500 bulbs with 1,300 flashing bulbs. The sign was dark from 1972 until it was restored in 2004. The restoration took two years and cost about $180,000. The bulbs were changed from 40 watt bulbs to 11 watt white bulbs at that time. In 2014, the sign was restored again. This time, the incandescent bulbs were replaced with LED bulbs in the original colors of red, green, white and amber. The torches' flames flicker and the circles' bulbs flash to appear to rotate in different directions. The giant light bulb at the top of the sign has sequentially lit rays. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, 3, and 4. [map]

The La Trattoria Pasta Man sign is either a new sign or a completely refurbished one. [map]

Miller's Mini-Mart featured this giant pack of cigarettes sign. I have not seen one like it anywhere else. This photo is from 2007. The text sign is still there but the cigarettes sign was gone by 2008.

Jenny Products
Somerset, PA
Pepsi-Cola
St. Marys, PA
The Jenny Products revolving globe sign towers next to its factory along the Pennsylvania Turnpike. The company makes steam cleaners and high pressure washers and has been in business since 1927. The globe was built in the late 1960s and is made of fiberglass. The globe was repainted around 2005. For more, see this website. [map]

This Pepsi-Cola bottling plant features a huge plastic bottle cap sign. It is illuminated at night. [map]

More Somerset:
Summit Diner

El-Jay Jewelers [gone]
Tamaqua, PA
Klein's Motel [gone]
Temple, PA
Sunshine Beer Haus [gone]
Temple, PA
The El-Jay Jewelers building was vacant when this photo was taken in 2010. By 2015, the letters were gone but the vitrolite facade was still there.

Klein's Motel featured a nice plastic sign in 2003 when this photo was taken. The motel is still there but there is now a plastic box sign.

The Sunshine Beer Haus sign partially revealed lettering for Ciotti's Market when this photo was taken in 2003. Sunshine had moved into the building in 1976. The business is now known as Sunshine Beverage Inc. This sign has been replaced with plastic box sign.

More Temple:
Schell's: 1, 2 [map]

Ford
Titusville, PA
This Ford sign is installed at Schwab's Ford. [map]

AmQuip
Twin Oaks, PA
Victor's Cafe
West Lawn, PA
Deluxe Windows & Doors [gone]
West Lawn, PA
This AmQuip sign is visible from I-95. AmQuip is a crane rental company. Does anyone know how long this sign has been here? [map]

Victor's Cafe has what appears to be a recently refurbished or adapted vintage sign. [map]

Deluxe Windows & Doors has been around since the early 1950s. This sign was installed on the building's canopy. This photo is from 2009. The sign was still there in 2011 but gone by 2015. The business was still there.

Uniontown:
Tri County Tire

Washington:
Observer-Reporter [map]

West Hazleton:
Bowl Arena [map]

West Mifflin:
Kennywood Park

Top Hat Formalwear
Whitehall, PA
Egypt Star
Bakery
Whitehall, PA
Donahue's
Hour Glass [gone]
Wilkes-Barre, PA
Fraternal Order
of Eagles [gone]
York, PA
Lincoln-Way
Lanes
York, PA
Top Hat Formalwear was established around 1950. This sign is probably from then. [map]

The Egypt Star Bakery was founded around 1940. There are other locations in Allentown and Coplay. For more, see this website. [map]

The Donahue's Hour Glass sign's bottom panel originally had neon that read "Seafood, Steak, Chops." This photo is from 2010. The sign was still there in 2015 but gone by 2016.

This Fraternal Order of Eagles sign was probably from the 1950s. This photo is from 2010. By 2012, the sign was gone.

The Lincoln-Way Lanes is located on the Lincoln Highway. The sign appears to be from the 1950s. This photo is from 2007. The sign had been repainted by 2010. For more, see this website. [map]

Willow Grove:
Weinrich's Bakery [map]

More York:
Consolidated Freightways [now Kansas City, MO]

PA (page 1) PA (page 2) Philadelphia Pittsburgh

Main Signs Page