email: roadarch@outlook.com

New York Signs (page 1)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Lombardo's Restaurant
Albany, NY
Westgate Shopping Center
Albany, NY
Lombardo's Restaurant, aka Lombardo's Grill, opened in 1932. The sign is not the original but it is from the 1930s and was restored in 2000. [map]

The Westgate Shopping Center and sign were built in 1957. The sign is 90 feet tall. It originally read "Welcome to Westgate Shopping Center" and had a clock which was later replaced with the Price Chopper sign. In 2014, the sign was removed for restoration. It was reinstalled and relit in 2015. The neon was replaced with LED tubing. Originally, there were yellow chasing bulbs around the border of the sign. At some time, they were replaced with blue neon tubing. During the 2015 restoration, the tubing around the sign was replaced with white, non-segmented LED tubes. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Brown Derby [gone]
Albany, NY
Bob & Ron's
Fish Fry [gone]
Albany, NY
Supersonic Car Wash
Albany, NY
Diana's Wine & Spirits
Albany, NY
The Brown Derby opened in 2008. This sign was based on the one that was installed on top of the long-gone, hat-shaped Brown Derby restaurant in Hollywood, CA. The sign was gone by 2011. For more, see this website.

Bob & Ron's Fish Fry opened in 1948 as Bob & Art's. The restaurant moved to this location in 1952. In the late 1950s, the sign was either altered or replaced with this one. The restaurant closed in 2015 and the sign was sold to a collector. Apparently, he only took the arrow, some neon letters, and the panels from one side of the sign. The remains of the panels were still there in 2016. For more, see this website.

This Supersonic Car Wash was built in the 1960s. [map]

The Diana's Wine & Spirits sign is probably from the 1950s. [map]

Colonie Animal Hospital
Albany, NY
Huck Finn's Warehouse
Albany, NY
The Colonie Animal Hospital features freestanding metal letters along its roofline. My guess is that these are from the 1950s. The building was painted yellow around 2014. The green letters remain. [map]

This Huck Finn's Warehouse sign was built around 1997. He was repainted in 2008. [map]

More Albany:
American Auto Glass [map]

Spot Restaurant
Alexandria Bay, NY
Old Homestead Restaurant
Alexandria Bay, NY
The Spot Restaurant and the Old Homestead Restaurant were next-door neighbors. Both of them have been replaced with other businesses but the signs have been allowed to stay. [map]

Modern Snack Bar
Aquebogue, NY
Oliver's Candies [gone]
Batavia, NY
Walter's Shoe Store [gone]
Binghamton, NY
The Modern Snack Bar opened in 1950. It is a full-scale diner-like restaurant. The neon on their sign still works but the arrow's bulbs no longer produce a chasing pattern. For more, see this website. [map]

Oliver's Candies opened in 1932. The sign was built in the late 1940s. It was originally part of a canopy in front of the entrance. In the 1950s, it was moved to become a freestanding sign. At some point, the chasing bulbs had to be made steady to comply with a local ordinance. In 2014, it was announced that a new sign was being built. It was installed in 2015. The owners supposedly kept the old sign. For more, see this website. [map]

Walter's Shoe Store opened in 1946 and closed in July 2003. These signs are gone now.

More Binghamton:
Phil's Gift Shop [map]

Bolton Landing:
Carey's Lakeside Cottages [map]

former Gatesdale Dairy Bar [gone]
Bridgewater, NY
2003: 2009:
The Gatesdale Dairy Bar opened in 1941 with this flashing milk bottle sign. Originally, "Gatesdale" was painted in script on the bottle. The restaurant later become the Gatesdale Diner. In 2006, the restaurant closed and the building was taken over by Dominick's Italian Bistro. The sign was repainted to represent a wine bottle pouring into a glass. By 2011, Dominick's was closed but the sign was still there. By 2015, the sign was gone.

Flexlume
Buffalo, NY
Park Florist
Buffalo, NY
Copper Kettle
Grill [gone]
Buffalo, NY
Streng Oldsmobile
Buffalo, NY
Flexlume was founded in 1904 in Canada. The company moved to Buffalo in 1911. Many of their early signs are still scattered around Western New York and beyond. This sign was built in 1946. [map]

The Park Florist sign appears to be from the 1930s or 1940s. This photo is from 2010. By 2014, the building was vacant. The sign was still there in 2016. [map]

The Copper Kettle Grill was open at least until the early 1980s. It looked like it had been closed for many years when this photo was taken in 2007. By 2010, the sign was gone and the building had been replaced with a laundromat.

Buffalo's Streng Oldsmobile dealership closed around 2001. This sign was probably built in the late 1950s. The silver rocket is a reference to Oldsmobile's Rocket V8 engine. When this photo was taken in 2010, this sign was located at Gothic City Architectural Salvage where it was priced for sale at $4,900. In 2014, the sign was still there. [map]

More Buffalo:
Nortel Grill [map]

Miami Motel
Canandaigua, NY
Beech-Nut [gone]
Canajoharie, NY
The Miami Motel was built in 1952. This sign was installed then. In 2016, it was removed for restoration. [map]

Beech-Nut opened its production facilities in Canajoharie in 1891. At that time, the company produced smoked ham and bacon. In 1931, they began producing baby food. In 2010, the company moved to Florida, NY. In 2013, this sign was scrapped. For more, see this website.

Castleton-on-Hudson:
IOOF [map]

Clarence:
Fels Three Crown Motel [gone]

Northway Inn [gone]
Colonie, NY
The Northway Inn was built in 1960. These photos are from 2001. By 2010, the motel and signs were gone.

Community Restaurant
Cortland, NY
Endwell Motel
Endwell, NY
Moose Lodge
Gloversville, NY
The Community Restaurant opened in the 1930s as the Community Coffee Shop. It became the Community Grill in 1940. In 1965, it was renamed the Community Restaurant. I suppose this sign was also adapted for these changes. [map]

The Endwell Motel sign appears to be from the 1950s or 1960s. The restaurant referred to in the sign is now the China Lake restaurant. [map]

This Moose Lodge was established in 1910. This sign is probably from the 1950s. [map]

Esopus:
Mott's Garage [map]

Greenport:
Claudio's Restaurant
Coronet Luncheonette [map]
Silver Sands Motel [map]

NY (page 2) NY (page 3) NYC

Main Signs Page