email: roadarch@outlook.com
Loading

New York Signs (page 2)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Greenvale Drugs
Greenvale, NY
Holiday Motel
Howes Cave, NY
Chanticleer Lounge
Ithaca, NY
Eng's Chinese
Restaurant
Kingston, NY
The Greenvale Chemist & Surgical Supply Co's signage and building look 1950s to me. For more, see this website. [map]

The Holiday Motel opened in the 1950s. The name, color, and font of this sign was based loosely on those used by Holiday Inn. The sign was repainted in 2013. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, 3, and 4. [map]

The Chanticleer Lounge has a landmarked neon sign from 1947. [map]

Eng's Chinese Restaurant opened here in 1927. It moved here in 1978. They must have brought this sign with them. It is lit at night. For more, see this website. [map]

Greenville:
Baumann's [map]

Inlet:
Deer Meadows Motel [map]

More Ithaca:
Johnny's Big Red Grill [now at American Sign Museum in Cincinnati, OH]

Keeseville:
Blue Spruce Motel [map]

More Kingston:
Frigidaire [map]

Wade's Canadian
Motor Lodge [gone]
Lake George, NY
Leavitt Realty
Lake George, NY
Mohican Motel
Lake George, NY
Samoset Cabins [gone]
Lake George, NY
The Wade's Canadian Motor Lodge sign looked like it was from the 1950s. This photo is from 2011. By 2014, the sign was gone.

Leavitt Realty was established in 1928. The sign is probably from the 1950s and apparently had neon originally. [map]

The Mohican Motel was built in 1956. I believe both of these signs are from then. The diamond-shaped sign is not. The Indian's feathers on it used to blink but a local ordinance now forbids that. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Samoset Cabins was built in 1938. The neon sign was built in the 1940s. Around 2005, the property was purchased by the nearby Six Flags Great Escape amusement park. The cabins were used for employee housing and not open to the general public. Around 2006, the cabins were demolished and the sign disappeared.

Surfside on the Lake
Lake George, NY
OOO'Sullivan's Motel
Lake George, NY
The Surfside on the Lake motel and sign are from the 1950s. The sign originally read Surfside Motel. These photos are from 2010. In 2011, the sign was stripped of its letters and the anchor piece on top was missing. The owners were restoring the sign. For more, see this website. [map]

OOO'Sullivan's Motel, now O'Sullivan's On the Lake, was built in the 1950s or 1960s. [map]

More Lake George:
Blue Moon Motel [map]

Lake Grove:
Good Steer

Lake Luzerne Motel
Lake Luzerne, NY
Town & Country Building
Liberty, NY
Flamingo Bowl
Liverpool, NY
The Lake Luzerne Motel features this 1950s-looking neon sign. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Town & Country Building is from the late 1800s. It has been a dry goods store, a vaudeville house, a movie theatre and a clothing store. The current fašade design is from 1953 when it was occupied by the Town & Country Men's and Boy's Shop. That business closed in the early 1990s. The building now houses Town & Country Antiques. [map]

The Flamingo Bowl has been around since the 1950s. I've been told that this sign is original. The plastic panels and channel lettering were probably added later. The sign is lit at night. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Robin Hood Diner
Livingston Manor, NY
La Siesta Motel
Maple View, NY
The Robin Hood Diner sign is probably from the 1950s. It probably had neon originally. [map]

The La Siesta Motel was probably built in the 1950s. Their sign originally had neon and has been repainted many times over the years. Maple View is located in the town of Mexico and must have been the inspiration for the name of this place. For more, see this website. [map]

Malone:
Sansone's Restaurant [map]

Milton:
John Foglia Ship Lantern Inn [map]

Nanuet:
Nanuet Hotel [map]

New Rochelle:
Telerama Television Service [map]

Bel-Aire Motel [gone]
Niagara Falls, NY
The Bel-Aire Motel and sign are from the early 1960s. When these photos were taken in 2010, the neon was partially lit at night and the arrow flashed on and off. By 2014, the sign had been replaced with a backlit plastic box sign.

Pelican Motel
Niagara Falls, NY
The Pelican Motel sign is probably from the 1950s. [map]

Moonlite Motel
Niagara Falls, NY
The Moonlite Motel sign was probably built in the 1950s or 1960s. The neon flashes back and forth between the star and the crescent moon. For more, see this website. [map]

Caravan Motel
Niagara Falls, NY
Shorty's Ultimate Sports Bar
Niagara Falls, NY
The Caravan Motel sign is probably from the 1950s. [map]

The pink elephant sign at Shorty's Ultimate Sports Bar was built by Cooper Signs in 1955 for Jack's Used Cars. The owner of Jack's didn't care what the sign looked like and just wanted something that was eye-catching. Wayne G. Cooper drew inspiration for the design from his daughter's coloring book. The sign has always been installed on the ground. The elephant originally had painted detail with neon and flashing bulbs. The top part of the sign was painted like a circus tent. It also had neon, flashing lights, and revolved. After Jack's closed, the sign was adapted for Honey's Pizzeria in the 1970s or 1980s. Honey's closed around 2000. Shorty's opened here around 2007 and repainted the sign. The bar is closed now but the sign remains. [Jack's photo thanks John Cooper] [map]

Nunda:
GMC & Pontiac [map]

Motel De Soto
Olean, NY
Salerno Bros. [gone]
Oneida, NY
Brooks' House of Bar-B-Q
Oneonta, NY
The Motel De Soto closed around 2009. This photo was taken in 2010. The motel will be demolished in 2015. The fate of this sign is unknown. There was another Motel De Soto in Bradford, PA with the same sign. However, that sign was repurposed for an America's Best Value Inn. There is also the De Soto Holiday House in Bradford with a similar sign. These three motels must have had the same owner and been built around the same time. [map]

Salerno Bros. was an appliance store established 1927. This fašade sign looked to be 1950s. The store closed around 2007 and this signage was removed.

Brooks' House of Bar-B-Q started out as a catering business in the 1950s. The restaurant opened in 1961 and moved to its current location in 1965. This animated sign is lit at night. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Oswego:
Wade's Diner [map]

Patchogue:
Carl's Equipment[map]

NY (page 1) NY (page 3) NYC

Main Signs Page