email: roadarch@outlook.com
Loading

Chicago Signs (page 3)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Philadelphia Church
Chicago, IL
Simon's Tavern
Chicago, IL
The Philadelphia Church sign was built in 1940. These photos are from 2012. In 2017, fundraising began for the sign's restoration. [map]

Simon's Tavern opened in 1934. This sign was built in 1994 as a replica of the original. The pickled herring was not part of the original sign. The fish's helmet and colors of this sign reflect this neighborhood's Swedish roots. [map]

E-Z Credit
Wheels [gone]
Chicago, IL
Right Way
Service [gone]
Chicago, IL
Erickson Jewelers (now Potbelly Sandwich Shop)
Chicago, IL
EZ Credit Wheels, aka Ray Krey's Wheels, was a used car lot. This photo is from 2006. By 2007, the property was being developed for Cityscape Condos and the sign was gone. For more, see this website.

Right Way Service was an auto repair garage. I believe this place opened in 1955. The building and sign were gone in 2015.

Erickson Jewelers opened in the early 1940s. These Elgin Watches signs were reproduced. At some point, the name "Elgin" was replaced with "Omega" on the sign. The first two photos above are from 2006. The store closed in 2008. In 2010, new panels were built to adapt the sign for this Potbelly Sandwich Shop. The clock was replaced as well. The vitrolite facade was preserved but the name was changed on it. [map]

Wrigley Field
Chicago, IL
Granville Picture Framing
Chicago, IL
The Chicago Cubs have played baseball at Wrigley Field since 1916. This sign hangs above the entrance. It was installed in 1934 and was originally painted blue. It was painted red in the 1960s. I don't know when the LED message board section was added to the sign. This photo is from 2012. The sign was restored in 2016. For more, see this website. [map]

Granville Picture Framing was established in 1936 and is still operating. These signs are probably from the 1940s or 1950s. [map]

Berghoff
Restaurant
Chicago, IL
Athenian
Candle Co.
Chicago, IL
Hotel
Chateau [gone]
Chicago, IL
Golden Apple Restaurant
Chicago, IL
Clark-Devon Hardware
Chicago, IL
The Berghoff Restaurant opened as the Berghoff Café in 1898 and closed in 2006 when the owners decided to retire. The owner's daughter reopened the bar as the "17/West at the Berghoff" and converted the main dining room into a private banquet hall called "The Century Room." The huge sign remains in place. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Athenian Candle Co. opened in 1919 and moved here in 1961. [map]

The Hotel Chateau was built in the 1920s. The neon sign was probably from the 1940s or 1950s. The canopy and backlit sign over the entrance were probably from the 1950s or 1960s. By 2014, the signs were gone. For more, see this website.

The Golden Apple Restaurant was originally a Golden Nugget Restaurant. The bulbs at the top of the sign represent a gold nugget. This was part of the Golden Nugget Pancake House chain which was established in 1966. There are still seven locations in Chicago. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

Clark-Devon Hardware opened in 1924. This clock sign was built around 2007. It is 11 feet in diameter and weighs more than 3,000 pounds. The clock features giant wrenches for hands. There is a spinning saw blade at the middle. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Toast
Chicago, IL
Papa Milano
Restaurant [gone]
Chicago, IL
La Salle Flowers
Chicago, IL
This Toast sign is modern. This restaurant which specializes in French Toast opened here in 1995. For more, see this website. [map]

The Papa Milano Restaurant opened in 1951. This sign was probably from then. The photo is from 2006. The restaurant closed in 2007 and this sign is gone. For more, see this website.

La Salle Flowers has been here since about 1936. This sign has been there since then. In 2012, the sign was moved from the side of the building to the corner to comply with city ordinances. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Stop & Drink Liquor House
Chicago, IL
Lee Lumber
Chicago, IL
Central Camera
Chicago, IL
Tasemkin Furniture
Chicago, IL
The Stop & Drink Liquor House sign hangs above the now-named Clark Street Ale House. The sign is probably from the 1950s. For more, see this website. [map]

Lee Lumber opened here in 1952 and this sign is probably from then. For more, see this website. [map]

Central Camera was founded in Chicago in 1899. It moved here in 1929. The sign was installed in 1931. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

This massive Tasemkin Furniture sign once had neon and chasing bulbs. The store was vacant when this photo was taken in 2006. By 2013, only the panels on the right with "Speed Queen" and "Crown" remained. [map]

Pride Cleaners
Chicago, IL
former Schlitz taverns
Chicago, IL
Pride Cleaners had at least three locations in Chicago. This one which appears to be from the 1950s or 1960s is still open while another with a similar sign is gone. The company's best-known location features a parabolic roof. [map]

These former Schlitz taverns feature globe logo reliefs on the buildings' facades. Originally, only Schlitz beer could be sold at these "brewery-tied houses". Schlitz built 57 of these buildings between 1897 and 1905. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [first sign map]; [second sign map]

Custom Cleaners
Chicago, IL
Rainbo Club
Chicago, IL
Far East Kitchen [gone]
Chicago, IL
This Custom Cleaners sign appears to be from the 1950s. The neon has been missing since at least the 1990s. [map]

The Rainbo Club opened in 1935 and this sign is from then. The sign is now protected behind plexiglass. [map]

This photo of the Far East Kitchen is from 2006. By 2007, the restaurant had closed and the sign was removed.

Lotus Chop Suey
Chicago, IL
Hoe Toy Chop Suey
Chicago, IL
Star Cleaners [gone]
Chicago, IL
Travis
Realty Company
Chicago, IL
There is an abundance of chop suey signs in Chicago. Lotus Chop Suey has been around since 1954 and these signs are probably from then. This photo is from 2009. By 2014, the sign on the building's facade was covered up while the hanging sign was still visible. [map]

The Hoe Toy Chop Suey sign is probably also from the 1950s. There are two identical signs installed on the roof facing opposite directions. [map]

Star Cleaners featured a huge pylon sign and steel building fins. The updating of the sign leads me to believe this was not the original business name. This photo is from 2006. Although the cleaners was still there, by 2014, the pylon had been removed from the building.

The Travis Realty Company features this space-age rooftop sign. One side says "Travis Realty", the other "Sivart Mortgage Company". This is probably not the original business at this location. [map]

Chicago (page 1) Chicago (page 2) Chicago (page 4)
Illinois Main Signs Page