email: roadarch@outlook.com
Loading

Chicago Signs (page 2)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Nick & Tessie's
Jewelry [gone]
Chicago, IL
Adams Factory
Shoe Outlet [gone]
Chicago, IL
Guey Lon Chop Suey Restaurant
Chicago, IL
The Nick & Tessie's Jewelry sign was probably from the 1950s. It originally advertised for a restaurant and was reworked in the 1980s for the jewelry store. This photo is from 2006. The sign was still there in 2013. By 2015, the business and the sign were gone. For more, see this website.

The Adams Factory Shoe Outlet featured a nice old bulb and neon sign. The building was vacant when this photo was taken in 2006. Around 2012, the building was demolished and the sign was gone. For more, see this website.

Guey Lon Chop Suey Restaurant opened here in the 1950s. For more, see this website. [map]

Green Mill Jazz Club
Chicago, IL
The Green Mill Jazz Club opened in 1907 as "Pop Morse's Roadhouse". By 1910, it became the "Green Mill Gardens" with dancing and live entertainment. This sign is probably from the 1950s. For more, see this website. [map]

Diversey River Bowl
Chicago, IL
The Diversey River Bowl features light shows and fog machines as part of its "Rock N Bowl" theme. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Big Smile Dental
Chicago, IL
Animal Kingdom [gone]
Chicago, IL
Liberty Bank
Chicago, IL
Melrose Retaurant
Chicago, IL
The Big Smile Dental sign is modern. [map]

Animal Kingdom sold pets and pet supplies. The store opened at a different location in 1944. The business moved here in 1965. I don't know if this sign was built then or if it was brought from the previous location. The store closed 2009 and the sign was sold to a private collector. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2.

This Liberty Bank is the bank's main branch. The sign and building appear to be from the 1950s. The statue was previously gold. It was repainted green in 2011. For more, see this website. [map]

These neon signs at the Melrose Restaurant were installed by a previous restaurant. They are probably from the 1950s. They were covered up by an awning for many years. In 2011, the signs were discovered when the owner removed the old awning. [map]

Roeser's Bakery
Chicago, IL
Roeser's Bakery opened in 1911. The first photo above is from 1951. The sign was built in 1946. The ice cream sign was obviously a later addition. For more, see this website. [map]

Rothschild Liquors [gone]
Chicago, IL
Rothschild Liquors
Chicago, IL
Foremost
Liquors
Chicago, IL
Valumost Liquors
Chicago, IL
Rothschild Liquors has several locations in town with signs like these. The store on the left closed in 2016 and the sign was removed. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, 3 and 4. [map]

This Foremost Liquors sign is probably from the 1950s. There are several other Foremost Liquors stores in Chicago but none with signs as nice as this one. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Valumost Liquors has two bulb and neon signs. The vertical sign is a crudely painted over Foremost Liquors sign with the neon removed. For more, see this website. [map]

Peacock Liquors
Chicago, IL
Jansen's
Furniture [gone]
Chicago, IL
Fox's
Beverly Pub
Chicago, IL
Prost Florist
Chicago, IL
The Peacock Liquors sign appears to be from the 1950s. For more, see this website. [map]

Jansen's Furniture was long gone but this sign was still there when this photo was taken in 2009. By 2012, the building and sign were gone.

Fox's Beverly Pub opened in 1964. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Prost Florist opened in 1945. This sign appears to be from then. For more, see this website. [map]

Alliance Bakery
Chicago, IL
Barry's Cut Rate Drugs
Chicago, IL
Central
Furniture Mart
Chicago, IL
The Alliance Bakery opened here in the 1920s. For more, see this website. [map]

Barry's Cut Rate Drugs opened here in 1946. This sign is probably from then or the 1950s. [map]

Central Furniture Mart had been here since 1949. This sign is probably from then. This photo is from 2012. The store moved to a new location in 2014. The future for this sign is unknown. It was still there in 2016. For more, see this website. [map]

Ruby
Dry Cleaners
Chicago, IL
Standee's
Restaurant [gone]
Chicago, IL
Heart O'
Chicago Motel
Chicago, IL
La Baguette Bakery [gone]
Chicago, IL
Ruby Dry Cleaners is still operating. The sign is probably from the 1940s or 1950s. The neon was removed at some point. [map]

Standee's Restaurant was also known as Standee's Snack 'N' Dine. It opened around 1950 and this sign was built then. In 2010, Standee's moved to a new location where they could not legally install the sign. It was sold to a private collector for $500. The pink and turquoise neon and chasing bulbs were still functional when the sign was removed. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2.

Heart O' Chicago Motel and its sign were built in 1957. [map]

The La Baguette Bakery signs are probably from the 1960s. By 2011, the neon cake sign was gone. The plastic and bulb sign on the left is still there. For more, see this website.

Chicago (page 1) Chicago (page 3) Chicago (page 4)
Illinois Main Signs Page