email: roadarch@outlook.com

Washington Gas Stations (page 2)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

former station
Walla Walla, WA
This former station was built in 1922 as Marcy's Lubrication Station. The station was rebuilt in 1935 in the Art Deco style. It was known as Marcy's Union 76 station at that point. The station continued to sell gas until 1970. The building housed Luscious by Nature, a restaurant and market, when the first and third photos above were taken in 2008. Since 2012, the building has housed Marcy's Bar & Lounge. The second photo is from 2016. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Keeler's Korner
Lynnwood, WA
Keeler's Korner was built in 1927. The building had living quarters upstairs and a grocery store and gas station downstairs. The station originally sold Signal gas. It closed in the mid-1960s. In 1970, the building was used as an antiques store and dressed up with Mobil signage and old pumps. The building has been vacant since around 2002. For more, see this website. [map]

Crossett's Mobil station
Ellensburg, WA
Crossett's Mobil station was built in 1936. It was restored by Bruce Crossett and named after him. I don't know if this was originally or ever was a Mobil station. The buildings surrounding the station suggest that this station might have been part of a complex including a restaurant and motel rooms. The Red Horse Drive-In next door might occupy the former restaurant. Does anyone know the history of this place? For more, see this website. [map]

Hailstone Feed Store
Issaquah, WA
The Hailstone Feed Store was originally used as a residence and grocery store. In 1942, it opened as the feed store and Shell station. The station closed in 1990. The building is now owned by the City and has been restored for use as office space and a museum. A vintage truck and Shell pumps were installed during the restoration. [map]

former Packard dealership
Aberdeen, WA
This former Packard dealership was remodeled to look like a Shell station around 2011. For more, see this website. [map]

former Texaco station
Raymond, WA
2008: 2015:
This former Texaco station housed a car wash in 2008. By 2013, the building had been painted and the canopy removed. [map]

former station
Bremerton, WA
This former station now houses Rainier Auto Repair. [map]

former Phillips 66 station
Pasco, WA
This former Phillips 66 station now houses American Eagle Muffler & Brake [map]

former Phillips 66 station
Parkland, WA
former Wilshire station
Tacoma, WA
This former Phillips 66 station now houses Bucky's Complete Auto Repair. [map]

This former Wilshire station now houses Darinka's Tire Shop. [map]

former station
Seattle, WA

2008:

2015:
The former station housed the Station Bistro restaurant when this photo was taken in 2008. In 2009, the building was drastically remodeled for the Shelter Lounge. [map]

Hat N' Boots
Seattle, WA

2008:

2015:
The Hat N' Boots was built in 1954 as a Premium Tex gas station. The station had nine pump islands. The attendants wore cowboy outfits. The Stetson Hat was used as the office and the Boots housed the restrooms. The boots are about 20 feet tall. The tallest one was the men's restroom. It had bold and dark coloring. The shorter boot housed the women's restroom. It was painted in soft pastels. There was also a six foot tall concrete cactus that served as an air pump which is gone now.

The designer drew the Hat N' Boots in a five-minute sketch. He wanted something unusual but never thought it would really be built. The Hat N' Boots was going to be part of Frontier Village, a $2 million Western theme shopping complex with 185 stores. However, only the Hat N' Boots, a warehouse, a display room, and the Foodville supermarket were actually built before the money ran out. The supermarket closed after a just few years. In the late 1950s and early 1960s, nearby interstates were built and business dropped at the Hat N' Boots station. It officially closed in 1988.

The concrete sculptures were abandoned and deteriorated for many years. The 44 foot wide hat was used by skateboarders and the boots were covered with graffiti. However, the structures were saved through community efforts in the late 1990s. In 2004, they were moved Oxbow Park just a few blocks away. In 2006, the Boots were completely restored and painted their original colors. They are now used for storage. In 2009, the Hat was also restored. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

More Washington Gas Stations:
former station (Oakesdale)
Bert's Signal Station (Renton) [vintage]
Richfield station (Seattle) [vintage]
Tea Pot (Zillah)

Washington (page 1) Gas Stations Main Page