email: roadarch@outlook.com

Nebraska Canopy Gas Stations

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Magnolia station
Hastings, NE
This former Magnolia station appeared to be vacant when this photo was taken in 2012. The Magnolia logo at the front of the canopy was covered with plywood and the pumps appeared inoperable. There are other examples of these stations in Texas at this page. [map]

former station
Trenton, NE
This former station is known as the Leon Weyl station. It was built in 1921. The station closed in 1967. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. For more, see this website. [map]

former station
Omaha, NE
This former station is probably from the 1920s or 1930s. When this photo was taken in 2009, it appeared to be vacant. The building still appeared to be vacant in 2014. [map]

Red Crown station
Ogallala, NE
This Standard Oil Red Crown station was built in 1922. The garage was added in 1937. It was renovated around 2003 and is now used as the Spruce Street Visitors Center. The canopy had long since been removed and had to be reconstructed. The buildings are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. For more, see this website. [map]

former station
Schuyler, NE
former station
Schuyler, NE
These former stations appear to be from the 1920s or 1930s. [top map]; [bottom map]

former station
Ashland, NE
This former station was built by the Barnes Oil Company in 1932. It sold Phillips 66 gas for more than 40 years. The building was adapted by the Farmers & Merchants National Bank in 2000. It is listed on the National Register of Historical Places. For more, see this website. [map]

Shady Bend Tourist Haven
Grand Island, NE

2006:

2012:
The Shady Bend Tourist Haven was established in 1929. The complex featured 33 cottages, each with an enclosed garage. There was also a trailer camp, a cafe, tennis courts, and a buffalo herd. All that remains of the complex is this gas station building. It was originally a Phillips 66 station. The building was also used as a store, restaurant and tavern. It closed in 1990 and was vacant until 2008 when restoration began. Since 2011, the building has housed an Italian restaurant and bar known as Doc & Fritz's Shady Bend. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, 3, and 4. [map]

More Nebraska Canopy Gas Stations:
former station (Benkelman)
former station (Cedar Falls)
former Sinclair station (Exeter)
former station (Fairbury)
former station (Geneva)
former station (Mullen)
former station (Omaha)
former station (Palisade)
former station (Seneca)
former station (St. Paul)
former station (Taylor)
former station (Tilden)
former station (Western)

Nebraska
Iceboxes
Nebraska
Misc.
Gas Stations Main Page