email: roadarch@outlook.com

California Eateries (page 9)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Corky's Restaurant
Sherman Oaks, CA
Corky's Restaurant was designed by Armet & Davis and built in 1959 as Stanley Burke's Coffee Shop. It became Corky's in the early 1960s. It was later known as the Lamplighter before being renamed Corky's again. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Park Avenue
Stanton, CA
The Park Avenue Steakhouse was built as the Park Pantry coffee shop sometime in the 1950s or 1960s. Before it was renamed and opened in 2005, the restaurant was updated in a retro style. [map]

former Red Top Hamburgers
Stockton, CA
The former Red Top Hamburgers building now houses Manny's California Fresh Cafe. The Red Top opened in the mid-1970s. For more, see this website. [map]

Top Hat Burger Palace
Ventura, CA
2008: 2012:
The Top Hat Burger Palace was built around 1947. In 2010, the tiny steel hamburger stand closed. The vacant structure is still standing on the fenced-off lot. [map]

In 2011, the Top Hat reopened at a new location. This building previously housed El Rancho Villa Restaurant, Bobbi's Mexican Food, and It's in the Sauce Bar-B-Que. Does anyone know what this building housed originally? In 2016, Top Hat closed and It's in the Sauce Bar-B-Que reopened at the location again. In 2017, the building was housing Las Delicias de Abuelita. [map]

Side Car Restaurant
Ventura, CA
The Side Car Restaurant occupied a 1910 Pullman dining car. It originally opened in 1933 as the DeLuxe Diner. In the late 1940s, it was renamed "Merle's Side Car." From 1970-1980, the dining car housed Side Car Antiques. It was painted yellow with orange trim at that time. The dining car housed a couple of motorcycle dealerships, a model train store, and Rosita's Mexican Restaurant after that. In 2003, it became the Sidecar Restaurant. It closed in 2013 and remains vacant. [map]

El Loco
West Covina, CA
2008: 2013:
El Loco was established in 1971. This building was built as a Taco Paco around 1959. The sign has been changed a bit between 2008 and 2013. The name has been changed from Manny's El Loco to Peter's El Loco. [map]

Jack's Salad Bowl [gone]
Whittier, CA
Jack's Whittier Restaurant
Whittier, CA
Jack's Salad Bowl was designed by Martin Stern, Jr. and opened around 1958. Note the identical roof line, dots removed, as the former Sheri's Restaurant shown below. In 2006, Jack's Salad Bowl closed and the building was remodeled for the El Pulpo Restaurant. In 2008, the restaurant reopened as the Hacienda San Isidro. The sign was painted white at that time. The photo above on the left is from 2008. In 2010, the building was demolished. As of 2013, photo on the right, the sign remains on the vacant lot. The lot was still empty in 2017. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

Jack's Whittier Restaurant is the original of this two-location chain. It opened in 1933 but was either updated or rebuilt around 1959. This restaurant is still open. [map]

Del Taco
Yermo, CA
This is the original location of the Del Taco chain. It opened in 1964. This place is now known as the Burger Den. For more, see this website. [map]

CA Misc.
page 1
CA Misc.
page 2
CA Misc.
page 3
CA Misc.
page 4
CA Misc.
page 5
CA Misc.
page 6
CA Misc.
page 7
CA Misc.
page 8
Los Angeles
page 1
Los Angeles
page 2
Los Angeles
page 3
SoCal Chains
page 1
SoCal Chains
page 2
SoCal Chains
page 3
SoCal Chains
page 4
Central &
NorCal Chains page 1
Central &
NorCal Chains page 2
CA Drive-ins CA Ice Cream

Eateries Main Page