email: roadarch@outlook.com
Loading

Wichita Art Deco & Streamline Moderne Buildings

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Steffen's Dairy
Wichita, KS
Steffen's Dairy was established in Wichita in the 1890s. This "Steffen Ice and Ice Cream Co." building is from 1931. The company was taken over by Hiland and is now known as Hiland-Steffen Dairy Foods. A giant cow statue is installed over the entrance. For more, see this website. [map]

Kansas Aviation Museum
Wichita, KS
This Kansas Aviation Museum occupies the former Administration Building of the Mid-Continent Airport. The building was constructed from 1930-1935. The control tower was built in 1941. The two-story wings which flank the building were built from 1942-1943. The building was used by the airport until 1951. It was then used by the U.S. Air Force until 1984. The building remained abandoned until the late 1980s when renovation began. The Kansas Aviation Museum opened in 1991. The building was restored in 2005.

The 37 foot cast stone mural above the entrance was designed by L. W. Clapp. It depicts the arrival of Charles Lindbergh in Ireland. The blue in the mural was created by using crushed colored bottles in the cast stone mixture. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. [map]

Griffin Architectural Office Building
Wichita, KS
The Griffin Architectural Office Building was built in 1940. It was designed by Garrold Griffin as his office. In the mid-1950s, the second story apartment was added. [map]

Johnson-Cohlmia Building
Wichita, KS
The Johnson-Cohlmia Building was built in 1930. It is also known as the Johnson Drug Store Building. The building now houses a thrift store. For more, see this website. [map]

North High School
Wichita, KS
North High School was built from 1928-1929. The bas-relief sculptures are the work of Bruce Moore. For more, see these websites 1 and 2. [map]

Minisa Bridge
Wichita, KS
The Minisa Bridge was built in 1932. The bridge spans the Little Arkansas River and is located next to North High School. The Indian and buffalo heads on the bridge were designed by Bruce Moore. They are detailed with carthalite, a mix of concrete and crushed glass. The bridge was completely restored from 2006-2009. For more, see this website. [map]

Kansas
(page 1)
Kansas
(page 2)
Art Deco Buildings
Main Page