email: roadarch@outlook.com

Illinois Art Deco & Streamline Moderne Buildings (page 2)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Bowlway Lanes
Elgin, IL
The Bowlway Lanes opened in 1942. [map]

Salvation Army
Elgin, IL
This Salvation Army building was constructed in 1930. [map]

Elgin Tower
Elgin, IL
The Elgin Tower was built in 1929 as the Home Banks Building. It was designed by designed by W. G. Knoebel. When the First National Bank of Chicago moved into the building in 1932, it was renamed the Elgin Tower Building. For more, see this website. [map]

Evolution Motors
Elgin, IL
The Evolution Motors appears to be from the 1920s or 1930s. The previous business here was Castle Auto Sales. Does anyone know the history of this building? [map]

Ulmer Jewelers
Harvard, IL
The Ulmer Jewelers vitrolite glass facade is probably from the 1930s. [map]

Daily Times
Ottawa, IL
The Daily Times building was constructed in 1939 and is still used by the newspaper. [map]

Beacon News [gone]
Paris, IL
Illinois National Guard Building
Pontiac, IL
The Beacon-News Building was faced with mint green vitrolite tiles. There was originally black vitrolite along the bottom of the building. It was probably built in the 1930s. This photo is from 2010. While the building and the newspaper are still there, in 2012, the vitrolite facade was removed and destroyed. [map]

This Illinois National Guard Building was built in 1939. The same design was used in Champaign, IL, Elgin, IL, Urbana, IL, and maybe other cities as well.

Boy Scouts of America
Quincy, IL
The Boy Scouts of America building was constructed around 1940 as the Chatten House. In 1967, it became the Gardner Memorial Boy Scout Service Center for the Saukee Area Council (now Mississippi Valley Council). [map]

Illinois (page 1) Illinois (page 3) Chicago Art Deco Buildings
Main Page