Maryland Movie Theatres

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Senator Theatre
Baltimore, MD
Walk of Fame lobby balcony lobby floor

The Senator Theatre was designed by John Zink and built in 1939. It is the oldest remaining theater in Baltimore and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The exterior features a huge rotunda and a façade of glass block and stucco.

The Senator has hosted the world premieres of several John Waters’ movies and other films produced in Maryland. Borrowing the concept at Grauman's Chinese Theatre in Hollywood, the Senator features a "Walk of Fame" commemorative sidewalk in front of the theater. The concrete squares are inscribed with the signatures of guests of honor including mayors, governors, and actors. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5. [map]

Grand Theatre [gone]
Baltimore, MD

(photos #1 and #2: 1940; photo #3: 1949)

from 2003:
The Grand Theatre was built in 1910 but it looks like it was updated in the 1920s or 1930s. The theatre closed in 1985 and remained vacant after that. In the late 1990s, there was talk of using it as a single-screen art house but it was considered too big of a financial risk. Following that, there were plans to spend $8 million to renovate it for use as the Southeast Anchor Library. However, it was declared too expensive to repair and the building was demolished in 2003. For more, see this website. [1940s photos thanks to Ed Dobbins]

More Baltimore:
Apex Theatre: 1, 2 [gone] [map]
Boulevard Theatre
Ideal Theatre

former Bethesda Theatre
Bethesda, MD
Publick Playhouse
Cheverly, MD
The Bethesda Theatre was designed by John Eberson and opened in 1938 as the Boro Theatre. It changed its name to the Bethesda in 1939. The theatre closed in the early 1980s. In 1983, it was renovated and reopened as the Bethesda Cinema 'N Drafthouse. In the early 1990s, it became the Bethesda Theatre Café. This business closed in 2001. In 2003, an 11-story, 253-unit luxury apartment building (the Whitney) was built above the theater. The theatre now houses the Bethesda Blues & Jazz Supper Club. For more, see this website. [map]

The Publick Playhouse, originally the Cheverly Theatre, was built in 1947. It was designed by John Eberson. The theatre closed in the 1960s and reopened as a performing arts center in 1977. For more, see this website. [map]

Embassy Theatre
Cumberland, MD
The Embassy Theatre opened in 1931. The theatre closed in 1959 and the lobby was converted for use as the Cumberland Cloak and Suit Store. In 1981, the theatre was used as a drapery store. However, the theatre's details were spared. It was restored and returned to use as a theatre in 1998. The Embassy features live performances and movies. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

former Druid Theatre
Damascus, MD
Palace Theatre
Frostburg, MD
The Druid Theatre was built in 1947 in the Art Moderne style. It closed in 1990 and was converted into an office building. It later housed a Rite Aid drug store. The building has been vacant since at least 2019. For more, see this website. [map]

The Palace Theatre opened around 1906 as a nickelodeon known as the Dreamland Theatre. In 1913, it was expanded and renamed the Palace Theatre. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Greenbelt Theatre
Greenbelt, MD
former Colonial Theatre
Hagerstown, MD
The Greenbelt Theatre opened in 1938 in the Roosevelt Shopping Center. The town of Greenbelt was a planned community incorporated in 1937 as part of Franklin Delano Roosevelt's New Deal. The theatre closed in 1976 and reopened as a community arts center from 1980-1987. It was reopened as a movie theatre in 1990 with a 40-foot-wide Cinemascope screen and Dolby digital sound system. For more, see this website. For more about Greenbelt and its Streamline Moderne buildings, see this page. [map]

The Colonial Theatre was built in 1914 as the first large movie house in the Hagerstown area. Its Baroque design has an extravagant exterior but subdued interior. The interior was altered after a fire in the late 1930s. Since 1976, the building has housed a church. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. For more, see this website. [map]

Cinemark Egyptian 24 and XD

former Pikes Theatre
Pikesville, MD
The Pikes Theatre was built in 1937. It closed around 1980 and reopened briefly in the early 1990s as a revival house. The theatre was then gutted and became DiPasquale's at the Pikes (a deli/restaurant). DiPasquale's closed in 2003. By 2004 (first photo), the building was home to another restaurant, Café 921. The name is a reference to the building's address. By 2007, it had become Pikes Diner (second photo). By 2020, the building was housing the Pikes Diner and Crab House. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Silver Theatre
Silver Spring, MD
The Silver Theatre was designed in 1938 by John Eberson. It has the standard Eberson atmospheric ceiling with clouds and stars. The theatre closed in the mid-1980s. It was purchased and restored by the American Film Institute and reopened in 2003. The theatre now features films and concerts. The space has been split into three auditoriums. The marquee is now electronic. For more, see this website. [map]

Flower Theatre
Silver Spring, MD
Carroll Arts Center
Westminster, MD
The Flower Theatre was designed by Zink and Moehle and opened in 1950. It closed in 1979 and was twinned in 1980 before reopening. The theatre closed again in 1996 after flooding and then became a church. The building was vacant for several years before another church moved in. For more, see this website. [map]

The Carroll Arts Center, formerly the Carroll Theatre, was built in 1937. The theatre closed in the early 1990s and was restored in 2003. It is now used for movies and performing arts. For more, see this website. [map]

Takoma Park:
Allen Theatre: 1, 2 [gone]

Main Page