email: roadarch@outlook.com

Utah Signs (page 1)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Jack & Jill Bowling Lanes
American Fork, UT
Delano Motel
Beaver, UT
Sleepy
Lagoon Motel
Beaver, UT
El Bambi Cafe
Beaver, UT
Jack & Jill Bowling Lanes opened in 1957. This sign was installed then. The bowling alley was named after the owners' two daughters, Jackie and Jill. The sign is about 50 feet tall and is installed on a 14-foot-tall pole. For the first few years, there was additional neon on the arrow that flashed. It was too much trouble to keep it working and that feature was removed. The bowling alley moved in 1984 and the sign was installed at the new place the following year. YESCO, which probably built the sign originally, maintains the neon and repaints the sign every five years. The sign is lit with green, blue, red, orange, and white neon. For more, see this website. [map]

The Delano Motel opened in 1962 and this sign appears to be from then. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Sleepy Lagoon Motel has been around since at least the early 1950s. Half of the motel was badly damaged in a fire in 2005 and it has not reopened. However, this sign remains. For more, see this website. [map]

The El Bambi Cafe opened in 1945. This sign is probably from the 1960s. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Aquarius Motel
Bicknell, UT
Prospector Motor Lodge [gone]
Blanding, UT
The plastic sign at the Aquarius Motel is topped with this attention-getter. The lights flash at night. It was probably built in the 1960s. For more, see this website. [map]

The Prospector Motor Lodge is still in operation. The sign was probably from the 1950s or 1960s. By 2014, the sign was replaced with a backlit plastic box.

Bluff Signs:
Dairy Drive Inn [map]

Bountiful Signs:
Bountiful City Light & Power
Family Auto Center

Galaxie Motel
Brigham City, UT
J&D Family Restaurant
Brigham City, UT
The Galaxie Motel was built in 1960. This sign is probably from then. For more, see this website. [map]

The J&D Family Restaurant plastic sign is topped with this covered wagon panel. It is probably from the 1960s. I don't know if this was the original business name. [map]

More Brigham City Signs:
Modern Cleaners [gone]
Welcome Arch

Ron's Sporting Goods
Cedar City, UT
Super 7 Motel [gone]
Cedar City, UT
Ron's Sporting Goods has been here since at least the 1960s. This sign appears to be from then. This photo is from 2014. By 2018, the plastic panels had been replaced with similar ones. The neon star was still there. [map]

The Super 7 Motel was known as the Knell Motel in the 1960s and 1970s. This sign was built in the 1970s for the Knell Motel and was adapted later on for the Super 7 Motel. The sign was gone by 2018. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2.

More Cedar City Signs:
China Garden Cafe: 1, 2 [now at The Neon Museum in Las Vegas, NV]
Indian Shop [vintage; gone]
sign storage

Couch & Chair
Clearfield, UT
Yes Print
& Copy [gone]
Clearfield, UT
This sign in front of the Couch & Chair furniture store. Despite the rust, you can make out the "Seat Covers" text across the girl's bottom. [map]

This Yes Print & Copy sign advertised for the Sands Cafe originally. There was a used car lot there when this photo was taken in 2014. The sign was probably from the 1950s. It was gone by 2015.

More Clearfield Signs:
Hi Hat Diner

Cowan's Cafe
Duchesne, UT
Commercial
Club [gone]
Duchesne, UT
b>Cowan's Cafe opened in 1933 and is still in operation. This sign is probably from the 1950s. [map]

The Commercial Club opened in 1908 and closed in 2008. This sign appeared to be from the 1950s. The sign was gone by 2018.

More Duchesne Signs:
Polar Queen [vintage; gone]

Echo Signs:
Kozy Cafe

Spinning
Wheel Motel
Fillmore, UT
Fillmore Motel
Fillmore, UT
Winget's Korner Drive Inn [gone]
Fillmore, UT
The Spinning Wheel Motel was built as a tourist court in 1932 as the Robison Motel. I don't know when the motel was renamed but this sign was there by the 1970s. It appears to be from the 1960s. For more, see this website. [map]

The Fillmore Motel sign still had neon and a better paint job in 2011. This photo is from 2014. It was probably built in the 1950s. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Winget's Korner Drive Inn sign originally advertised for an Arctic Circle drive-in. The stand that it came from opened in 1954 just up the street. This sign was installed then. In 1974, the sign was adapted when the name was changed to Winget's Drive-in. In 1978, the stand moved to a 1950s era Texaco gas station building and the sign was brought along. The name was changed then to Winget's Korner Drive-Inn and the sign was repainted and adapted again. This photo is from 2014. The building was vacant for many years but this sign remained until around 2017. The sign is now in a private collection and has been restored as an Arctic Circle sign with the original, sequentially flashing stars. It is eight feet wide.

More Fillmore Signs:
Deano's Pizza

Gas for Less [gone]
Green River, UT
Lemieux Cafe
Green River, UT
Robbers Roost Motel
Green River, UT
Sleepy Hollow Motel
Green River, UT
This Gas for Less sign was built from an airplane wing for the Premium Oil Company. The station was built in 1955. It has been closed for many years. This photo is from 2012. Later that year, the sign was removed. It is now in a private collection.

The Lemieux Cafe sign is probably from the 1960s. The restaurant had been closed for at least a few years when this photo was taken in 2012. [map]

The Robbers Roost Motel opened in the 1940s. The sign is probably from the 1960s. It originally depicted a woman in a swimsuit. Around 2008, the panel was updated to show a woman in Western wear since the motel no longer had a pool. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Sleepy Hollow Motel opened in 1954 and this sign appears to be from then. The sign was previously painted green. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

More Green River Signs:
Ray's Tavern

Utah (page 2) Utah (page 3) Ogden Salt Lake City

Main Signs Page