email: roadarch@outlook.com

Arkansas Signs (page 2)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Downtown
Inn [gone]
Helena, AR
Hendrix Shoes
Helena, AR
The Downtown Inn sign probably had neon and different text (Motel?) where the plastic box is. This motel was closed when this photo was taken in 2010. By 2013, the top part of the sign was gone and only the post and a shell of the marquee was left. [map]

Hendrix Shoes was established in 1939. The store is still open and features this Buster Brown Shoes sign. Once common, there are very few of these left now on public display. They were mass-produced by Kirn Signs in St. Louis, MO. [map]

Stubby's Hik-ry Pit Bar-B-Q
Hot Springs, AR
Central
Bowling Lanes
Hot Springs, AR
Dame Fortune's Cottage Court
Hot Springs, AR
The Stubby's Hik-ry Pit Bar-B-Q opened at a different location in 1952. The business moved to its current location in the late 1970s. This sign is probably from then. Around 2018, the sign was repainted and the logs were made more realistic. They had been painted black before that for many years. [map]

The Central Bowling Lanes opened in 1960. This photo is from 2010. By 2013, the sign's neon had been replaced with backlit plastic letters. For more, see this website. [map]

Dame Fortune's Cottage Court was built around 1950 as the Cottage Courts. It was later known as the Cottage Motel. The motel was renovated from 2016-2017 and was renamed Dame Fortune's Cottage Court. This 1930s-inspired sign was built in 2017. In 2018, the same sign shop, Meeks Neon, built a similar sign for the Best Motel. For more, see this website. [map]

hammer sign
Hot Springs, AR
Magic Hills Public Golf
Hot Springs, AR
Bohemia Restaurant
Hot Springs, AR
2008: 2019: 2008: 2019: 2010: 2019:
This giant hammer sign stood in front of a closed hardware store since at least 2007. In 2016, Q's Cool Tools & More moved into the building and new panels were installed on the hammer. [map]

The Magic Hills Public Golf opened in 1955 and this sign might be from then. The business has been closed since around 2013. [map]

The Bohemia Restaurant has been closed since at least 2006 but this sign remains. [map]

Liquor Mart
Hot Springs, AR
El Rancho Motel [gone]
Hot Springs, AR
Arkansas
Tower Motel
Hot Springs, AR
Grady's Grill [gone]
Hot Springs, AR
The Liquor Mart text panel might be from the 1950s. The patched neon tubing holes make me believe that the sign might have had different letters originally. The neon pinwheel sign and bulb arrow are probably from the 1960s. [map]

The El Rancho Motel sign featured a saguaro cactus although the motel is nowhere near the desert. The sign was probably from the 1960s. This photo is from 2008. By 2013, this sign was replaced with a plastic box sign.

The Arkansas Tower Motel sign might be from the 1950s or 1960s. The sign's shape mimics the motel's office turret. This photo is from 2008. By 2013, the sign was repainted and the neon removed. The word "motel" is now composed of backlit plastic letters. For more, see this website. [map]

Grady's Grill was located on the ground floor of the Majestic Hotel. The sign appeared to be from the 1950s This photo is from 2010. The building was demolished in 2014 and the sign was gone.

Capri Motel
Hot Springs, AR
Park Avenue Motel
Hot Springs, AR
2008: 2019: 2008: 2019:
The Capri Motel sign might be from the 1950s. The sign was repainted in 2017. For more, see this website. [map]

The Park Avenue Motel sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. Around 2013, the sign was repainted entirely red with no white letters or stripes. [map]

More Hot Springs Signs:
Best Motel
Perry Plaza Motel
The Pancake Shop
Tom Moore Cigars
Uneeda Biscuit

Faubus Motel
(now Madison Motel)
Huntsville, AR
Elephant Car Wash
Jonesboro, AR
2010: 2019: 2010: 2019:
The Faubus Motel sign appears to be from the 1950s. It was originally named the Elms Motel. I don't know when the sign was adapted to read Faubus. In 2013, the business became the Madison Motel. The old name was covered up on the sign but otherwise it is the same. [map]

The Elephant Car Wash chain was founded in 1951 in Seattle, WA. There are now about ten locations in the Seattle area and another one in Rancho Mirage, CA. All of the signs have variations of this pink elephant sign. This photo was taken in 2010. The car wash closed in 2018 and the sign is now being swallowed up by foliage. For more, see this website. [map]

Judsonia Signs:
Action Truck & Trailer

Southern Pharmacy of Leachville
Leachville, AR

The Southern Pharmacy of Leachville sign is probably from the 1960s. It was repainted in 2017 when Leachville Discount Drug became the Southern Pharmacy of Leachville. The sign was previously white with blue lettering. [map]

Flying Fish
Little Rock, AR
First Baptist Church
Little Rock, AR
Ritz Motel [gone]
Little Rock, AR
Capitol Glass
Company
Little Rock, AR
Little Rock Paint
& Wallpaper
Little Rock, AR
The Flying Fish sign is modern. This restaurant is part of a chain with six locations in Arkansas, Tennessee, and Texas. For more, see this website. [map]

This First Baptist Church sign appears to be vintage. Neon church signs are rare. The pastor's name on the bottom of this sign was covered up with a small panel and replaced with another name. That name has also now been painted over. [map]

The Ritz Motel sign was probably built in the 1950s. This photo is from 2010. In 2016, the sign was replaced. The top feature is gone and the letters are backlit plastic. For more, see this website.

The Capitol Glass Company was established in 1950 and moved to this location in 1953. This sign is most likely from then. For more, see this website. [map]

Little Rock Paint & Wallpaper was established in 1880. The company moved to this location in 1969 and brought along the sign. The store closed in the mid-2000s. This photo is from 2010. In 2011, the sign was adapted (covered up with other panels) for Spokes Little Rock. In 2017, Meteor Bikes opened and had the sign restored, neon and all. [map]

Mt. Zion Baptist Church
Little Rock, AR
The Mt. Zion Baptist Church features three neon signs. It's hard to guess the age of them. The one on the left might be a replica or an older sign. The other two appear to be later and/or repainted. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Buice Drug Store
Little Rock, AR
2010: 2019:
The Buice Drug Store opened in 1929 but is long gone. This sign remains but is deteriorating rapidly from rust. It was probably built in the 1950s. Apparently, the sign was animated with bulbs descending from the beaker to the mortar and pestle. [map]

Godsey Cleaners
Main St.
North Little Rock, AR
Godsey Cleaners
E. Washington Ave.
North Little Rock, AR
Godsey Cleaners opened in 1943. The signs at these two locations appear to be from the 1950s. For more, see this website. [Main St. map]; [E. Washington map]

There is another location in Sherwood, AR. There was another location North Little Rock which has closed. There may have been other locations.

BPOE
North Little Rock, AR
Argenta Drug Co.
North Little Rock, AR
This BPOE, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, sign appears to be from the 1940s or 1950s. [map]

The Argenta Drug Co. opened here in 1887, making it one of the oldest pharmacies in the country. These signs might be from the late 1940s or 1950s. North Little Rock was once known as Argenta. [map]

More North Little Rock Signs:
Rhodes Motel [vintage; gone]
Shipley Do-Nuts
Texas Court: 1, 2 [vintage; gone]

Morrilton Signs:
Rialto Theatre

Arkansas
(page 1)
Arkansas
(page 3)
Main Signs Page