email: roadarch@outlook.com

San Francisco Area Art Deco & Streamline Moderne Buildings (page 5)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Rincon Center
San Francisco, CA
Rincon Center was built as the Rincon Annex Post Office in 1940. It was designed by Gilbert S. Underwood. In the late 1980s, the building was adapted for shops, restaurants, offices, and apartments. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

commercial building
San Francisco, CA
commercial building
San Francisco, CA
The commercial building on the left was built in the 1930s. [map]

The commercial building on the right is located next door. It was also built in the 1930s. [map]

Boys Gym
San Francisco, CA
Girls Gym
San Francisco, CA
These two Gym buildings were built for the Polytechnic High School and are just down the block from each other. The school closed in 1973 and the rest of the buildings were demolished in the 1980s.

The Boys Gym was built in 1929. It now houses Circus Center, a circus training and performing arts center. [map]

The Girls Gym was built in 1937. It now houses AcroSports with acrobatics and circus arts. [map]

Western Furniture Exchange and Merchandise Mart
San Francisco, CA
The Western Furniture Exchange and Merchandise Mart building was built in 1937. [map]

Treasure Island Administration Building
San Francisco, CA
The Treasure Island Administration Building was designed by George Kelham. It was built in 1939 as the welcome center for the Golden Gate International Exposition. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Hall of Transportation
San Francisco, CA
The Hall of Transportation, also known as Building 2, was built in 1938 for the Golden Gate International Exposition. It was designed by William Peyton Day and George William Kelham. The plan was to use the building after the Exposition as an airplane hangar but that never happened. The building now houses Island Creative. [map]

Verdi Club
San Francisco, CA

2014:

2019:
2022:
The Verdi Club was established in 1916 as a private club. It moved to this location in 1935. This sign was installed later. It may be from the 1950s. The building was repainted green and red around 2020. For more, see this website. [map]