email: roadarch@outlook.com

Mississippi Movie Theatres

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Aberdeen:
Elkin Theatre

Saenger Theater
Biloxi, MS
This Saenger Theatre was designed by Roy A. Benjamin and opened in 1929. The theatre closed after a fire in 1974. Shortly afterwards, the theatre was deeded to the City. Renovation has been ongoing since then while the theatre has remained in operation. The sign was replaced with a replica in the late 1990s. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Canton Cinema
Canton, MS
Princess Theater
Columbus, MS
The Canton Cinema opened as the Canton Theatre in 1929. It closed in 1969. At some point, the building was renovated and reopened as the Canton Cinema. It has been closed for many years. For more, see this website. [map]

The Princess Theater opened in 1924 as a vaudeville house. It later became a movie theatre and is now used for live performances. Also in the building now are the Stage Door coffee shop and the House of Bacchus liquor store. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

Saenger Theater
Hattiesburg, MS
The Saenger Theatre was designed by Emile Weil and opened in 1929. The theatre closed in the mid-1970s. It has been restored and is now used for live performances. The theatre still has the original Robert Morton organ. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Alamo Theater
Jackson, MS
The Alamo Theater opened in 1942 in a thriving but segregated black neighborhood. It featured African-American films and black performers. The theater closed in the late 1960s and sat vacant for more than 20 years. In 1992, the community began fundraising for restoration. The exterior was in great shape but the interior had to be recreated. The theater reopened in 1997. The theatre use for live performances and special events now. For more, see this website. [map]

Laurel:
Strand Theatre [gone]

Strand Theatre
Louisville, MS
The Strand Theatre was designed by Livingston & Wicker and built in 1927. The symbol at the top of the building is a Native American symbol for medicine. The upper floor was used as a medical clinic before the theatre opened below. The theatre was operating by the 1940s. It is now used for live performances. For more, see this website. [map]

Temple Theatre
Meridian, MS
The Temple Theatre was designed by Emile Weil and built from 1923-1927. It opened in 1928. The theatre is now used for movies and live performances. It has the original Robert Morton pipe organ and a ballroom. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. For more, see this website. [map]

Ellis Theatre
Philadelphia, MS
Lyric Theatre
Tupelo, MS
The Ellis Theatre opened in 1926 as a silent movie house. By 1939, it was known as the Strand Theatre. In 1997, the theatre was restored and renamed the Ellis Theatre. It is now used for live performances and classic films. For more, see this website. [map]

The Lyric Theatre was built in 1912 as The Comos, a vaudeville theatre. In the 1930s, it was converted to a movie house and received this Art Deco makeover. In 1984, the theatre was saved from demolition and restoration began. Today, the building is used by the Tupelo Community Theatre for live performances. These photos are from 2007. By 2013, the building and marquee sign had been repainted. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

Ritz Theater
West Point, MS
The Ritz Theatre opened in the 1930s. It closed in the mid-1950s. In 2009, it reopened as the Ritz Theater & Conference Center. For more, see this website. [map]

Theatres
Main Page