email: roadarch@outlook.com

Missouri Movie Theatres (page 2)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

4th Street Theatre
Moberly, MO
The 4th Street Theatre was designed by Ludwig Abt and built in 1913 as a vaudeville and movie house. It was remodeled slightly in 1924 by Carl Boller. The theatre is now closed and being restored. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Walt Theatre
New Haven, MO
Dixie Theatre
New Madrid, MO
The Walt Theatre was built in 1940. It was completely restored in recent years. For more, see this website.

The Dixie Theatre opened in the 1930s. It now features live entertainment and films. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Rodgers Theatre
Poplar Bluff, MO
2006: 2010:
The Rodgers Theatre opened in 1949 and closed in 1998. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Since 2007, the theatre has been used for live performances. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Orris Theatre
Sainte Genevieve, MO
The Orris Theatre was built in 1932. It has been converted into Sirro's restaurant and the Orris nightclub. The marquee is still lit at night. For more, see this website. [map]

Uptown Theatre
Sedalia, MO
Tower Theatre
Springfield, MO
Gillioz Theatre
Springfield, MO
The Uptown Theatre was designed by Robert O. Boller and opened in 1936. It has been closed for many years. There is talk of turning the building into apartments. For more, see this website. [map]

The Tower Theatre opened in 1938 and closed in 1996. It now houses a radio station. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Gillioz Theatre was designed by M.E. Gillioz. It opened in 1926, offering stage shows and films. The theatre closed in 1979 and sat empty for a few years before being saved. The building is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The theatre was restored and reopened in 2006. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, 3, and 4. [map]

More Springfield Theatres:
Jewell Theatre [gone]

Missouri Theatre
St. Joseph, MO
The Missouri Theatre was designed by the Boller Brothers and opened in 1927. It closed in the mid-1970s and reopened in 1979 as the home of the Performing Arts Association. The theatre was restored between 2001-2002 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Trail Theatre
St. Joseph, MO
The Trail Theatre opened in 1952 and closed in 2001. It has been vacant since then. These photos are from 2010. Restoration of the theatre began in 2011. It was scheduled to reopen in 2015. However, it was still closed in 2016. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Regal Theatre
St. Joseph, MO
Plaza Theatre
Trenton, MO
The Regal Theatre was designed by the Boller Brothers. They used the same design for a few years later for State Theatre in Lincoln, NE. The Regal opened in 1927 and was remodeled in 1941. It closed in 1961 and I believe it has been vacant since then. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Plaza Theatre was built from 1929-1930 as part of the Plaza Hotel. This 15 foot tall sign was installed in 1930. The building has been gutted and converted into apartments. This sign is lit at night. For more, see this website. [map]

Route 66 Movie Theatre
Webb City, MO
Avenue Theatre
West Plains, MO
The Route 66 Movie Theatre building originally housed the Shapiro Shoe Store. Around 1952, it was converted into the Dickinson Movie Theatre. Later in the 1950s, it was sold to Howard Larsen and became the Larsen Theatre. Later, the name was changed to the Route 66 Music Theatre when it began featuring music variety shows. It is now known as the Route 66 Movie Theatre. For more, see this website. [map]

The Avenue Theatre opened as the New Avenue Theatre in 1950. In 1986, the theatre was converted into a playhouse. The current paint scheme is from then. Previously, the facade was painted brown. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

MO (page 1) St. Louis Theatres
Main Page