email: roadarch@outlook.com
Loading

Kansas Movie Theatres (page 2)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Fox Theatre
Hutchinson, KS
The Fox Theatre was designed by the Boller Brothers and opened in 1931. The theatre was vacant from 1985-1990. In 1999, it reopened as a performing arts center after an extensive restoration. In 2015, the sign was restored and relit. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, 3, and 4. [map]

Flag Theatre
Hutchinson, KS
Granada Theatre
Kansas City, KS
The Flag Theatre has been around since at least the 1940s. It was originally known as the State Theatre. The theatre was restored in 2006 and is now used for live productions and special events. For more, see this website. [map]

The Granada Theatre was designed by the Boller Brothers and opened in 1929. As an atmospheric theatre, the auditorium features a simulated Mediterranean open-air courtyard with statuary, fountains and torch-like lighting. The ceiling still features moving clouds and fake flying birds. The theatre closed in 1968 and was restored in the mid-1980s. In 2004, the building was refurbished again and reopened. In 2008, the theatre closed again. It reopened in 2010 as a live performance venue. By 2014, the building was in used as a church. For more, see this website. [map]

Kingman Theatre
Kingman, KS
The Kingman Theatre was built in 1920 as an opera house. It was known as the Meade Theatre in the 1980s. That was probably the original name since that was the last name of the owners that built the theatre. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

State Theatre
Larned, KS
Granada Theatre
Lawrence, KS
Hollywood Theatre
Leavenworth, KS
The State Theatre was designed by Robert Boller and opened in 1947. For more, see this website. [map]

The Granada Theatre was designed by the Boller Brothers and opened in 1934. The original marquee looked like the one at the Plaza Theatre in Ottawa (shown above). The Granada Theatre was converted into a nightclub in 1993. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Hollywood Theatre was designed by Robert Boller and built in 1938. It closed in the 1970s and was donated to the city. The theatre is now used as a performing arts center. For more, see this website. [map]

Fox Theatre
Newton, KS
Norton Theatre
Norton, KS
The Fox Theatre opened in 1914 as the Royal Theater. In 1921, it was remodeled and renamed Regent Theater. It became the Fox Theatre in 1955. The theatre has been closed since 1999. The building is now owned by the city which would like to convert the theatre into a meeting center. For more, see this website. [map]

The Norton Theatre was designed by the Boller Brothers in 1906. It was remodeled, again by the Boller Brothers, in 1947. For more, see this website. [map]

Plaza Theatre
Ottawa, KS
2006: 2010:
The Plaza Theatre occupies part of the Pickrell Building which was built in 1885. In 1905, the Bijou Theatre opened in the building. Therefore, the Plaza claims to be the oldest operating theatre in the country. The theatre was later known as the Crystal Theatre which closed in 1929. The theatre was remodeled in 1937 with a Boller Brothers design and reopened as the Plaza Theatre. In 2007, the theatre was restored, repainted, and reopened as the Crystal Plaza Theater. By 2013, the theatre was operating as the Plaza Grill & Cinema. By 2014, the building was housing the Movie Memorabilia Museum. For more, see this website. [first photo thanks Glenda Campbell] [map]

Glenwood Theatre [gone]
Overland Park, KS
The Glenwood Theatre opened in 1966 and closed in 2000. The theatre was demolished and replaced with a mall. This 43 foot tall marquee sign was adopted by the Glenwood Arts Theatre and moved a few blocks from its original location. The "Glenwood" letters were removed from the side of the former theatre building, replacing a plastic box on the sign. These photos are from 2010. By 2015, the sign was gone. It was supposedly moving to the Englewood Theatre in Independence, MO. However, I don't believe that happened. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3.

Rio Theatre
Overland Park, KS
The Rio Theatre was designed by the Boller Brothers and opened in 1946. It was also known as the Kimo South Theatre and the Overland Theatre. The theatre was restored in 2000. The snack bar features a 1938 popcorn machine which came from the Abilene Theatre in Abilene, KS. The Rio is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

KS (page 1) KS (page 3) Theatres
Main Page