email: roadarch@outlook.com
Loading

Illinois Movie Theatres (page 2)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Fischer Theatre
Danville, IL
The Fischer Theatre opened in 1884 as the Grand Opera House. It was remodeled in 1912 and renamed the Fischer Theatre. The theatre has been closed since 1982. Restoration work is ongoing. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Lincoln Square Theatre
Decatur, IL
DeKalb Theatre
DeKalb, IL
The Lincoln Square Theatre opened in 1916, featuring live theater, concerts, opera, vaudeville, and silent films. In the early 1960s, the front of the building was damaged by a fire next door. The top floor was removed at that time. The theatre is open for live music and performances while restoration is ongoing. For more, see this website. [map]

The DeKalb Theatre opened in 1949 and billed itself as the "Theatre of Tomorrow." It was twinned in the early 1980s. From 1984-1988, it was converted for use as a brew pub, the "Box Office Brewery and Restaurant." It was the "El Charro" Mexican restaurant and, later the same year, the "La Quinta de los Reyes" restaurant. For more, see this website [map]

More Decatur Theatres:
Avon Theatre

Egyptian Theatre
DeKalb, IL
The Egyptian Theatre was designed by Elmer F. Behrns and opened in 1929. There are Egyptian Revival details inside the theatre. It is one of the best examples of the style in the country. The theatre now features live events as well as films. These photos are from 2007. The theatre has been restored since then. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

Des Plaines Theatre
Des Plaines, IL
Tivoli Theatre
Downers Grove, IL
The Des Plaines Theatre opened as a vaudeville house in 1926. It was remodeled and became a movie house in 1935. In 1982, a fire nearly destroyed the theater, but it was reopened a couple years later as a twin. The Des Plaines was renovated in 1998. In recent years, the theatre has primarily shown East Indian films. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Tivoli Theatre opened in 1928 and was one of the first theatres in the country with sound. The marquee was replaced in the 1960s. The original Wurlitzer organ was sold but, in 1992, another one from the Indiana Theater in East Chicago, IN was installed. The Tivoli has been restored several times. It became a performing arts venue in 1989. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

Grand Theatre
Du Quoin, IL
I believe the Grand Theatre was built in the 1920s. It has been struggling to remain open in recent years. For more, see this website. [map]

Majestic Theatre
East St. Louis, IL
Wildey Theatre
Edwardsville, IL
The Majestic Theatre was designed by the Boller Brothers in a Neo-Gothic style and opened in 1928. It has been closed since 1960 and is in serious disrepair. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Wildey Theatre opened in 1909 as an opera house. The exterior was remodeled in 1937. The theatre was renovated from 2009-2011 and now features live performances as well as movies. For more, see this website. [map]

Heart Theatre
Effingham, IL
The Heart Theatre opened in 1941 and closed in 2002. It reopened in 2003 and then closed again in 2007. It has been vacant since then. For more, see this website. [map]

York Theatre
Elmhurst, IL
Evanston Theatre [gone]
Evanston, IL
Town Theatre
Flora, IL
The York Theatre was designed by Elmer F. Behrns in a Spanish style and opened in 1924. The interior and exterior were updated in 1938 by Roy B. Blass in the Art Moderne style. The marquee canopy contains 1,000 lightbulbs and 1,000 feet of neon. Although it was triplexed in 1982, the interior was mostly preserved. In 1991, the interior was returned to its original Spanish style and the Barton pipe organ was restored. In 1993 and 2004, more screens were added bringing the total to nine. The Theatre Historical Society of America is located on the second floor of the building. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

The Evanston Theatre opened in 1937 as the Stadium Theater. From the late 1940s into the 1950s, the Stadium featured stage shows instead of movies. In 1956, it was changed back to a movie house. The theatre was remodeled in 1969 and renamed the Evanston. In the early 1980s, the theatre was split into five auditoriums and renamed the Evanston 5 Theaters. Business suffered when the 18-screen Century Cinemas opened nearby and the Evanston closed in 2001. There was talk of turning the theatre into a performing arts center. This photo is from 2006. The theatre was demolished in 2007. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3.

The Town Theatre appears to be from the 1930s. At some point, it was renamed Showtime Cinemas. The theatre has been closed since 2008. For more, see this website. [map]

Glen Art Theatre
Glen Ellyn, IL
The Glen Art Theatre opened in the early 1920s. It was designed by William B. Betts. The theatre originally featured live stage acts. Movies were added later. There are now four screens. For more, see this website. [map]

Havana Theatres:
Lawford Theatre

Orpheum Theatre
Hillsboro, IL
Lorraine Theatre
Hoopeston, IL
The Orpheum Theatre opened in the 1920s as the Fellis Theatre. It was renamed the Orpheum in 1929. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Lorraine Theatre opened in 1922 and is still in operation. The Art Deco remodeling is from 1937. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

IL (page 1) IL (page 3) IL (page 4) IL (page 5) Chicago

Theatres
Main Page