email: roadarch@outlook.com

Salt Lake City Signs

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Temple City Motel
Salt Lake City, UT
Siesta Motel
Salt Lake City, UT
Century 6 Theatre
Salt Lake City, UT
Capitol Motel [gone]
Salt Lake City, UT

The Temple City Motel was built in the 1930s or 1940s. The sign "Motel" and arrow part of the sign are believed to be from the late 1940s or early 1950s. The top panels which depict Salt Lake City's Mormon Temple are believed to be from the early 1950s. This photo is from 2014. The sign was restored in 2016. The panels were not repainted so as to preserve the sign's patina. They were touched up in places. The internal wiring and components were replaced. The neon was recreated to match the original tubing. For more, see this website. [map]

The Siesta Motel sign appears to be from the 1950s. The neon has been covered with plastic to protect it from vandals and/or weather. [map]

The Century 6 Theatre was built in 1969 and this sign appears to be from then. The theatre closed in 1998 when a larger Century Theatre was built nearby. The building was demolished but this sign still remains as of this 2014 photo. [map]

The Capitol Motel sign depicted Salt Lake City's Capitol Building. Just after this photo was taken in 2006, the sign fell to the ground and was destroyed. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2.

Ritz
Classic Lanes
Salt Lake City, UT
Bonwood Bowl
Salt Lake City, UT
Sue-Rich Lanes
Salt Lake City, UT
The Ritz Classic Lanes opened in as the Classic Lanes 1958. This 90-foot tall sign was built then. The revolving, backlit plastic panels read "CLASSIC" on one side and "BOWLING" on the other. In 1959, the sign blew over in a storm and crushed about 20 cars at the dealership next door. It was repaired and reinstalled. Around 1967, an explosion destroyed part of the bowling alley. Instead of replacing the damaged lanes, a skating rink was added. The lettering on the giant sign was changed to read "SKATING" on one side. In the 1980s, the rink was removed and more lanes were added. The sign was altered to spell out "CLASSIC" on the "SKATING" side. The giant pin was outlined with red neon. The text below had red and blue neon. In 2015, the bowling alley closed and was demolished. In 2017, the sign was removed. A new sign based on the old one was was created using LED instead of neon by YESCO which built the original sign. The sign advertises for the Ritz Classic Apartments. The wording at the bottom will read "Apartment Homes". For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Bonwood Bowl opened in 1957 and this sign appears to be from then. The "BOWL" letters revolved originally. The Trophy Room Lounge arrow sign was added later. For more, see this website. [map]

The Sue-Rich Lanes sign appears to be from the 1950s or 1960s. [map]

Der Ratskeller Pizza Shoppe
Salt Lake City, UT
Coachman's Dinner & Pancake House
Salt Lake City, UT
This Der Ratskeller Pizza Shoppe was built in 1973 and this sign must be from then. The building is gone now but this sign remains. There were at least five locations in Salt Lake City and five others in Idaho. I believe this is the only sign left. Unfortunately, one of the face panels is missing now. The sign is installed next to the "EZ Coin Laundry" which was previously a Norge Village Laundromat. The pizza restaurant was located nearby. For more, see this website. [map]

The Coachman's Dinner & Pancake House sign appears to be from the 1950s or 1960s. The light inside the lamp flickers at night. [map]

Standard
Builders Supply
Salt Lake City, UT
R&M Seat Covers
& Upholstery
Salt Lake City, UT
Diamond Lil's
Salt Lake City, UT
Fendall's Ice Cream
Salt Lake City, UT
Standard Builders Supply was established in 1948. This sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. The business is gone now but this sign remains. For more, see this website. [map]

The sign at R&M Seat Covers & Upholstery originally spun in two directions like this one in Budd Lake, NJ. These signs were probably built in the 1950s or 1960s. There are only a handful of them left around the country. I don't know what the original business here was. [map]

Diamond Lil's steakhouse opened in 1969. This sign must be from then. The place closed in 2014. The building was vacant and the sign was still there in 2016. For more, see this website. [map]

Fendall's Ice Cream was founded in Salt Lake City in 1910. The company opened an ice cream parlor at this location in 1957. This sign is probably from then. It closed in 1997 and a pizza parlor moved into the main space. Ice cream was still sold by the pints around the back of the building and in supermarkets until at least 2008. There were other Fendall's signs on the building which have been removed. A location in Ogden opened in 2012 but that was short-lived. Fendall's ice cream is no longer being produced now. However, as of 2014, this sign remains and is still lit at night. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Ego's (now Bar Deluxe)
Salt Lake City, UT
2006: 2014:
This sign was originally built for The Annex. It had text reading "Dancing" and "Beer" on the horizontal pieces. In recent years, the sign was adapted for Club Six, the Green Guinea, Ichabob's Tavern, and Ego's. In 2007, the sign was adapted for Bar Deluxe. For more, see this website. [map]

Summit Group
Salt Lake City, UT
City Creek Inn [gone]
Salt Lake City, UT
The Summit Group sign originally advertised for the United Electric Supply. The sign was probably built in the 1950s. The neon text on the sign alternated between "United Electric Supply" and "House of Service." The neon was removed by 2006. In 2007, the sign was repurposed for the Summit Group. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The City Creek Inn was built in 1947 as Snyder's Covered Wagon Motor Lodge. There was a different sign there then. It later became the Covered Wagon Motel. This sign was built then, probably in the 1950s. By 2003, the name was changed to the City Creek Inn. The the text was adapted and the sign was restored. In 2010, the motel was demolished and the sign was removed. It is now in a private collection. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3.

Nu-Crisp Popcorn
Salt Lake City, UT
Spiking Tourist Lodge
Salt Lake City, UT
2008: 2014: 2006: 2014:
Nu-Crisp Popcorn was established in 1933. The store moved to this location in 1946. This sign was built in the early 1970s. The bulbs flashed on and off to simulate poppping popcorn. The store has been closed and vacant since around 1994. In 2016, there was talk of relighting or restoring the sign. For more, see this website. [map]

The Spiking Tourist Lodge opened around 1946. This sign is probably from then. The sign features a railroad spike. The neon was removed around 2010 and the sign was repainted. For more, see this website. [map]

Mrs. Backer's Pastry Shop
Salt Lake City, UT
Mrs. Backer's Pastry Shop opened in 1941. These signs are probably from the 1950s. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

Union Pacific Railroad
Salt Lake City, UT
McKay Diamonds
Salt Lake City, UT
The Union Pacific Railroad depot was built in 1909. An early sign featured a clock at the center of the shield. The current sign was probably built in the 1950s. This logo which spelled out Union Pacific Railroad at the top of the shield was developed in 1950. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

McKay Diamonds opened here in 1949. This canopy sign supposedly dates from then. However, it looks like a modern replacement to me. For more, see this website. [map]

Walker Center
Salt Lake City, UT
Art Floral
Salt Lake City, UT
The Walker Center Building was built as the Walker Bank Building in 1912. In the late 1940s, a local radio station built a radio transmitter tower on top of the building. It was abandoned in the early 1950s and Walker Bank converted it into a weather beacon. The tower was removed in 1983 because of a change in local sign ordinances. However, the tower was rebuilt and relit in 2008. The 64 foot tall tower is lit in different colors to indicate the weather forecast. Blue is for clear skies, flashing blue for cloudy skies, red for rain, and flashing red for snow. All that survived of the original tower was the letter "W" which was installed at West Valley High in Salt Lake City in 2014. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Art Floral opened in 1951. This sign may be from then. [map]

Salt Lake Costume Co.
Salt Lake City, UT
Glen's Key
Salt Lake City, UT
Classic Cleaners
Salt Lake City, UT
The Salt Lake Costume Co. was established in 1889. The store moved to this building in 1958. This sign might be from then. The store closed in 2005 but the sign remains. Arendal Kitchen Design occupied the building for a few years. However, the space was vacant when this photo was taken in 2014. [map]

Glen's Key has been around since 1924. This sign appears to be modern. [map]

Classic Cleaners was established in 1929. This sign may be from then. It features a ripple tin panels which were commonly used at that time. The side of the sign still bears a YESCO tag. The bottom piece of neon was not lit when these photos were taken in 2014. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Rio Grande Depot
Salt Lake City, UT
The Rio Grande Depot was built in 1910 for the Denver and Rio Grande Western Railroad. The station closed in 1999. The building now houses the Utah State Historical Society, the Utah History Research Center, the Rio Gallery, and the Rio Grande Cafe. This rooftop sign was not there originally. I don't know when it was installed but it was there by the 1940s. It originally had the letters "Western Pacific" below "Rio Grande." For more, see this website. [map]

Rio Grande Hotel
Salt Lake City, UT
The Rio Grande Hotel was built in 1911 as the Park Hotel. In the late 1940s, it was renamed the Rio Grande Hotel. This sign must be from then. The hotel is now used for low income housing. Around 2011, the neon was covered with plastic to protect it from vandals and weather. For more, see this website. [map]

Dee's Family Restaurant
Salt Lake City, UT
The first Dee's Family Restaurant opened in Salt Lake City in 1932. By the 1970s, there were more than 50 Dee's Drive-ins and Restaurants in the Salt Lake City area. The drive-ins closed in the 1980s. There are about three restaurants left in the Salt Lake City area. This is the only one with a revolving sign and a Dee Burger Clown rooftop weathervane. The weathervane was probably built in the 1960s or 1970s. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, 3, and 4. [map]

More Salt Lake City:
Bratten's Seafood [vintage; gone]
England Plumbing Supply
First Security Bank [gone]
Granite Furniture
Hires Drive-in
Intermountain [gone]
Kuong Jou Cafe [gone]
Mahfood Motors [gone]
Master Muffler
Scenic Motel: 1, 2 [gone]
Snelgrove Ice Cream

UT (page 1) UT (page 2) Utah (page 3) Ogden

Main Signs Page