email: roadarch@outlook.com

Louisiana Signs

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Kelvinator
Abbeville, LA
former Happy
Trails Lounge
Alexandria, LA
former Southside
Motor Exchange
Baton Rouge, LA
This Kelvinator sign is probably from the 1950s. The appliance store below has been closed for many years. [map]

There's not much left of the Happy Trails Lounge sign. Does anyone know what this place was originally? [map]

The Southside Motor Exchange is gone but this sign remains. However, it is now in very bad shape. This photo is from 2006. By 2011, the neon engine graphic at the top had been removed or destroyed. [map]

More Alexandria Signs:
Bentley Hotel

More Baton Rouge Signs:
Masonic Lodge

Coca-Cola
Baton Rouge, LA
Overpass Cleaners
Baton Rouge, LA
Kean's
Main St.
Baton Rouge, LA
Kean's [gone]
Perkins Rd.
Baton Rouge, LA

The origins of this Coca-Cola sign are not clear. According to one source, there was a Jax Beer sign here originally. The support structure may later have been used for this sign which was built around 1946. According to other accounts, this sign was installed on the roof of the Liggett Rexall Drug store building which opened here in 1951. The sign was definitely in place by 1960. The drug store closed around 1981 but the sign has remained in place. It was refurbished in the mid-1980s and again in 2002. The sign's neon tubing is vulnerable to hurricanes.

In 2002, it was reported that this sign was one of three left in the country. This statement was repeated in later news articles. However, while there are a few vintage neon Coca-Cola signs on display in Atlanta, San Francisco, Richmond, and elsewhere, none of them resemble this sign. Another source reports that there was a sign in Hollywood, CA like the one in Baton Rouge. However, vintage photos reveal that it was not at all the same design. The Baton Rouge sign may have been unique.

The sign is about 20 feet wide. The text flashes on and off while the horizontal neon tubing scrolls up and down. The photo above is from 2010. In 2014, the local Coca-Cola Bottling Co. paid for the sign's latest restoration which cost about $20,000. The building now houses a Raising Cane's restaurant. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

I don't know how old this Overpass Cleaners sign is. The porcelain enamel text part of the sign appears to be 1950s. The other elements might have been added later. The sign is lit at night. [map]

The Kean's dry cleaning business was founded in Baton Rouge in 1900. The company now has more than a dozen locations in the Baton Rouge area.

The Main St. location is still open. [map]

By 2014, the rooftop sign at the Perkins Rd. location was gone. Since 2015, the building has housed a Crispy Catch restaurant.

Peter's Grocery
& Liquor
Bossier City, LA
Simon's Pharmacy
Breaux Bridge, LA
The bottle sign at Peter's Grocery & Liquor appears to be from the 1950s. The "Peter's" sign is probably much more recent. [map]

Simon's Pharmacy replaced the store's neon sign with a plastic one sometime after 2008. This photo is from 2010. However, both faces of the old sign are displayed inside the store. [map]

former Johnny Rizzo Furniture [gone]
Houma, LA
White Star Cleaners
Houma, LA
White Star Cleaners
Labadieville, LA
The Johnny Rizzo Furniture store was closed when this photo was taken in 2010. By 2013, the sign was gone.

These White Star Cleaners might have been part of a chain or at least these two locations had the same owner. The Sputnik ball used with the Houma sign were mass-produced in the 1960s. [Houma map]; [Labadieville map]

There was at least one other White Star Cleaners in Baton Rouge. There was possibly another one in Thibodaux.

Hokus Pokus Liquor
Lake Charles, LA
Vernon Bank
Leesville, LA
This Hokus Pokus Liquor sign is a modern replacement of this sign. There is an early 1950s Hokus Pokus sign in Alexandria, LA. It is still there as of 2014 although the store has been vacant for years. [map]

The Vernon Bank sign has been here since at least 1943. For more, see this website. [map]

Lamp Lighter Lounge
Metairie, LA
Dorignac's
Food Center
Metairie, LA
Gennaro's Bar
Metairie, LA
The huge rooftop Lamp Lighter Lounge sign survived Hurricane Katrina. For more, see this website. [map]

The Dorignac's Food Center opened in 1947 on Jackson Avenue and moved here in 1963. This sign must have been built then. [map]

Gennaro's Bar opened in 1937. This sign is probably from the 1950s. [map]

Monroe Signs:
Faulk-Collier Moving & Storage [gone]
Rancher Western Wear [vintage; gone]

Southgate Bowling Lanes
Shreveport, LA
former Rountree
Shreveport, LA
Around the Clock
Bail Bonds
Shreveport, LA
The Southgate Bowling Lanes has been closed for many years. This photo is from 2007. The sign was still there in 2016. [map]

Rountree was established in 1940 and had other locations in Shreveport. This sign is probably from the late 1950s or early 1960s. This photo is from 2007. By 2013, this location had closed. The lot was still vacant and the sign was still there in 2016. I suspect the letter blocks on this giant sign rotated at one time. [map]

The Around the Clock Bail Bonds sign might be from the 1960s or 1970s. [map]

Porter Howard Garage
Shreveport, LA
parking garage
Shreveport, LA
Ridgway's [gone]
Shreveport, LA
The Porter Howard Garage has been abandoned for many years but this sign remains. For more, see this website. [map]

This parking garage sign is probably from the 1950s. [map]

Ridgway's was established in 1926. The printing company has offices in ten states. This Shreveport location was still open when this photo was taken in 2010. By 2013, there were panels covering the sign for ARC Document Solutions. By 2016, the sign was gone. There was another Ridgeway's neon sign on the side of the building that is gone now. For more, see this website.

C&C Electric Co.
Shreveport, LA
Don's Seafood
& Steak House [gone]
Shreveport, LA
Palomar Motel
Shreveport, LA
former
G. Schifani Shoes
Thibodaux, LA
The C&C Electric Co. was established in 1947 and is still in business. [map]

Don's Seafood & Steak House opened here in 1965. The restaurant closed in 2008. This sign was gone by 2013.

The Palomar Motel was originally known as the Hotel Palomar Courts. The tourist court was built around 1938. The neon sign is from the early 1950s. The units are now used for low-income housing. [map]

The G. Schifani Shoes store has housed the Red Goose Saloon since 1979. The Red Goose Shoes sign remains intact. [map]

More Shreveport Signs:
Alamo Plaza Hotel Courts [vintage; gone]
Dixie Maid [vintage; gone]
OK Cleaners: 1, 2 [map]
Peyton's Cut-Rate Drugs [gone]
Tri-State Drug [vintage; gone]
Wrigley's Gum

More Louisiana Signs:
Holiday Lanes (Bossier City)
Derrick Truck Stop (Greenwood)
Toggery Shop (Hammond) [map]
Tribune Printing Plant (Lafayette) [map]
Napoleon Plaza (Metairie) [map]
Western Auto (Minden) [map]
Cannata's Market (Morgan City) [map]
Oaks Motel (Opelousas) [map]
Palace Cafe (Opelousas) [map]
Rogers Furniture (Ruston) [map]
South of the Border: 1, 2 (St. Francisville) [map]

New Orleans Main Signs Page