email: roadarch@outlook.com
Loading

New York Car Showrooms & Dealerships

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

former Pierce-Arrow Motor Car Company showroom
Buffalo, NY
This former Pierce-Arrow showroom is an Art Deco beauty built in 1929. The building was used to detail cars with walnut trim and gold inlay before they were shipped to customers in the 1920s and 1930s. Pierce-Arrow went bankrupt in 1938. It later became a Cadillac dealership. In 2002, the Greater Buffalo Savings Bank renovated and moved into the building. A First Niagara Bank branch is there now. The magnificent interior has been preserved and an antique Pierce-Arrow car sits next to the banking desks. For more, see this website. [map]

The Pierce-Arrow automobile was developed and manufactured in Buffalo in the early 1900s. For more, see this website.

former Mack Truck showroom
Albany, NY
This former Mack Truck showroom was built in the late 1920s. Mack moved out in the early 1980s. The building is now occupied by the Fastenal Company. The building also bears the International Motors logo. There is a similar former Mack showroom in St. Paul, MN. For more, see this website. [map]

former Mack Truck showroom
Rochester, NY
former Eureka Garage
Brooklyn, NY
This former Mack Truck showroom is similar to the one in Albany shown above. The "1357" (address number) now covers the Mack name. The building now houses OutSource. [map]

The Eureka Garage has a winged wheel relief design. This was probably just a service garage and not a showroom. [map]

SPoT Coffee
former Hallman's Chevrolet
Rochester, NY
The Hallman's Chevrolet building is faced with black structural glass and stainless steel. The building itself is from the early 1900s but Hallman gave it this Streamline Art Deco facelift in 1936. The huge arched window, neon signs and clock, are all original.

In 2000, this building was converted into Chevy Place: a 77-unit apartment complex with ground-level retail space. The main tenant is SPoT Coffee which has divided the showroom floor into four sections. There are four other SPoT stores in Western New York. [map]

Mercedes-Benz showroom [gone]
New York, NY
This Mercedes-Benz showroom was built as the Hoffman Auto Showroom. It was designed for Mercedes-Benz by Frank Lloyd Wright in 1954. The building was converted at that time from an apartment building into office space. Wright was only involved in the showroom space. In 2001, the building was updated again. The adjoining southern lobby space next to Wright's portion expanded the showroom to three times its size. In 2012, Mercedes-Benz announced that it was vacating the space. The space was gutted in 2013.

The showroom featured a spiral-shaped, plaster-covered ramp which could only fit about five cars. It resembled the Guggenheim Museum, on a much smaller scale, which Wright designed later in 1959. The only other building that Wright designed in New York City was a house in Staten Island.

The showroom's mirrored ceiling was part of Wright's original plan but this was not the same one. It was replaced in a 1981 restoration with this more flashy one. Wright also planned to have mirrors on the floor but this proved to be too impractical. The small showroom also featured a terrazzo floor and a still-functioning turntable which slowly spun the cars. Wright also originally designed hassocks and coffee tables for the space. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3.

former Tunmore Oldsmobile [gone]
Buffalo, NY
Tunmore Oldsmobile was founded in 1923 and sold Willys-Knights, Overlands and Hudsons. The company began selling Oldsmobiles in 1931. This showroom was built in the 1930s. It appears to have been updated with siding in the 1960s or so. The used car lot across the street was developed into retail stores but the sign that was located there was saved. It is now in storage at the Buffalo and Erie County Historical Society museum. In 2010, Basil Automotive Group bought the property. The building was demolished and replaced with a new one. For more, see this website.

Audia Motor Sales [remodeled]
Millbrook, NY
The Audia Motor Sales showroom was built in 1957. This photo is from 2009. In 2012, this building was either rebuilt or drastically remodeled. It looks entirely new. The dealership is now known as Audia Chevrolet. For more, see this website.

Curry Chevrolet [remodeled]
Scarsdale, NY
The Curry Chevrolet showroom appeared to be from the late 1940s or 1950s. These photos are from 2009. In 2013, the signs were gone and the building was completely remodeled. For more, see this website. [map]

former Champion Buick Pontiac GMC [gone]
Saratoga Springs, NY
This building housed Champion Buick Pontiac GMC and Topper Pontiac Buick GMC before that. It had been vacant since 2009. This photo is from 2011. In 2013, the building was remodeled and now houses the Friendship House. [map]

Hoselton Chevrolet [gone]
East Rochester, NY
This Hoselton Chevrolet showroom was built from 1965-1966. This photo is from 2010. In 2014, the showroom was either drastically remodeled or rebuilt. It is now just a box and the rooftop sign is also gone. The company now sells many other makes of automobiles and is known as the Hoselton Auto Mall. For more, see this website.

former Ken Wilson Chevrolet
Vestal, NY
The Ken Wilson Chevrolet showroom was built in 1964. It was designed by James R. Mowry. The dealership became Matthews Chevrolet sometime after 2005. The building has been vacant since at least 2010. The building was still there in 2016 but is expected to be demolished soon. For more, see this website. [map]

Hyperbolic parabola roofs were used frequently for mid-century modern banks, churches, and other buildings including the Paul Miller dealership in Lexington, KY.

Penn Toyota [gone]
Greenvale, NY
I believe the Penn Toyota dealership's showroom was built in the early 1970s. These photos are from 2007. The dealership completely rebuilt the showroom around 2012.

Riverhead Ford Lincoln [gone]
Riverhead, NY
Riverhead Ford Lincoln has a round showroom accented with a stone tower. It appears to be from the 1960s. By 2015, the building had been significantly remodeled.

More New York Showrooms:
Dominic Condino Motors (Carthage)
Ketcham Motors (Fishkill)
former Oldsmobile dealership (Great Neck)
former Packard dealership (New York) [map]

Car Showrooms
Main Page