email: roadarch@outlook.com
Loading

Oklahoma City Mid-Century Modern Banks

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Central Motor Bank
Oklahoma City, OK
The Central Motor Bank was designed by Wright & Selby and built in 1959. At the time, this was the world's largest motor bank, capable of serving 5,000 customers per day. It was last used by Bank One. The property has been abandoned for many years. In 2015, these structures were fenced off and will most likely be demolished. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

former State Capitol Bank
Oklahoma City, OK
The State Capitol Bank was designed by Robert B. Roloff and completed in 1964. Roloff also designed the Gold Dome in Oklahoma City. The bank president who commissioned the building wanted it to be "more like a cocktail lounge than a bank". The building now houses an Arvest Bank branch. There has been some remodeling in recent years. The roofs have been elevated, plate glass areas filled in, and freestanding flying saucers are hidden with additions. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

Bank of America
Oklahoma City, OK
This Bank of America branch was built in 1964 as a Founders National Bank branch. It was designed by Robert Bowlby. The building features bridge-like suspension cables, a concrete roof, and an intact drive-thru structure. For more, see this website. [map]

Coppermark Bank
Oklahoma City, OK
This Coppermark Bank branch was built in 1963 as a Guaranty National Bank branch. The name was changed to Guaranty Bank & Trust in 1970. In 2004, the name was changed to Coppermark Bank to reflect the banks distinctive copper roofs. [map]