email: roadarch@outlook.com

Indian Statues (page 2)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Old Ish
Ishpeming, MI
Cherokee Indian
St. Louis, MO
Indian [gone]
Orderville, UT
This iron statue of Old Ish was built in 1884. It is about six feet tall and was originally painted black. The statue is installed on an eight foot tall base that functioned as a drinking fountain. [map]

The fiberglass Cherokee Indian statue in St. Louis was created by Bill Christman and installed in 1985. The statue is about 13 feet tall and stands on an eight foot tall base. The statue welcomes visitors to the Cherokee District. It was a donated by the Cherokee Station Merchants Association. The Indian's hand is raised in a gesture of peace. There are Cherokee letters painted on his tablet. [map]

The Indian statue in Orderville once stood between the Rancho Service Utoco gas station and the Rancho Lodge. This photo is from around 1960 but the statue had been there since at least the 1950s. It was about 25 or 30 feet tall. Does anyone know more about this statue? For more, see this website. [photo thanks Robby Delius]

Indian Chief
Salina, UT
The Indian statue in Salina stands in front of a Sinclair gas station. The statue is meant to represent Chief Black Hawk. The original statue created in 1974 depicted an Egyptian slave. It was created by Steven Sewell Anderson. In 2004, the statue was converted into an Indian. These photos are from 2014. For more, see this website. [map]

Mohawk Indian
Charlemont, MA
Chief Pontiac
Carson, CA
This bronze Mohawk Indian statue in Charlemont is entitled "Hail to the Sunrise". It is a tribute to the five Indian nations of the Mohawk Trail. The statue is eight feet tall and was produced in 1932. [map]

This statue of Chief Pontiac was located at Back in the Day Classics when this photo was taken in 2015. It was originally previously installed at the headquarters of the Mohawk Oil Company. The statue was based on a painting of Chief Pontiac by John Farnsworth. There is a similar statue in Pontiac, MI. For more, see this website.

Palacine Indian
Bartlesville, OK
This Palacine Indian statue was installed at Woolaroc Ranch in 1935. Frank Phillips of Phillips 66 fame bought four of these statues for his ranch. I believe there are still two others on the property. Other than the one in Ballinger, TX described below, I don't know of any other statues like this that still exist. They were mass-produced in the 1920s and 1930s by the Palacine Oil Company for their Wirt-Franklin gas stations in Oklahoma. The statues are made of cast zinc-alloy and are about 11 feet tall. There were at least 18 of them produced. The faux rock bases were inscribed with the words "A Friend". For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3.

Palacine Indian
Ballinger, TX
Indian
Ballinger, TX
This Palacine Indian statue was installed in Ballinger City Park in 1939. At some point, the faux rock base was replaced with a real one. The statue was damaged and dumped in a creek in the late 1950s and never recovered. In 2008, Cinnamon Carter began researching the history of the statue with her sixth grade class. This led to fundraising and commissioning a replacement statue. In 2010, a Palacine Indian was discovered in Duncan, OK and donated to Carter. It is now in storage at Higginbotham Brothers hardware store. It is hoped that the statue's intact legs can be freed somehow from the concrete inside the barrel. The new bronze statue was installed in the park in 2012. It was created by Hugh Campbell III. For more, see this website. [map]

More Palacine Indian statues:
Caddo Indians Monument (Caddo Gap, AR)

Indian
Kingsport, TN
This Indian statue was built in the late 1940s for "Honest John's Trading Post". The nearly 26 foot tall Indian was built by the owner, John Barker aka "Honest John". It was created from lumber, wire mesh, stucco, sand, cement and fiberglass. Including the base and the 48 inch feather, the statue is about 33 feet tall. In the late 1950s, the business and statue were moved to Stone Drive, the new main highway. In addition to the gift shop, Honest John's now featured a restaurant and gas station. Pratt's Bar-B-Que bought the building and moved here in 1971. [first photo from 1950s at Honest John's thanks Robby Delius] [map]

Indian Archer
Champaign, IL
This Indian Archer, aka The Chief, was originally located in Danville, IL. The 17 foot tall copper statue was built in 1949 for Herb Drew's Plumbing & Heating. When the business closed in 1994, the owner's grandson moved the Indian here to the Curtis Apple Orchard. The statue represents Kesis, a famous Kickapoo Indian from Illinois. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2.

Indian
Poplar Bluff, MO
This Indian statue looks like it's been here for decades but no one seems to know anything about the statue's history. [map]

Chief Tseul-Ted
Sultan, WA
This 13-foot-tall statue of Chief Tseul-Ted, also known as Sultan John, was created by Jerry Dwayne Carter in the 1980s. The local tribal Chief died in 1906. The statue is made of sawdust and resin and is installed in River Park. He holds a spear in one hand and a salmon in the other. [map]

Chief Red Robe
Thief River Falls, MN
Indian
Geary, OK
Indian [gone]
Franklin, KY
Indian
Gallup, NM
This fiberglass statue of Chief Red Robe was created by Creative Display and installed in 1976. Although the clothing was an accurate representation, the face does not resemble Red Robe. For more, see this website. [map]

The mold for the Red Robe statue was used to produce other statues like those in Geary, Franklin and Gallup shown above.

The Indian in Geary stands in front of the Cherokee Restaurant & Trading Post. [map]

The Indian in Franklin was located in front of Dixie Discount at the Kentucky and Tennessee state line. This photo is from 2007. The statue was toppled in a storm in 2012 and removed.

The Indian in Gallup stands in front of the Navajo Travel Plaza. [map]

More Chief Red Robe style statues:
Thunderbird Motel (Bloomington, MN) [gone]
Tupelo Buffalo Park (Tupelo, MS)
Loretta Lynn Ranch (Hurricane Mills, TN)

former Ute Motel
Vernal, UT
2008: 2012:
The Ute Motel was probably built in the 1950s. This 18 foot tall Indian statue was installed next to the sign in 1958. The statue was created by Albert Porter who also produced the dinosaur statues at the Utah Field House in Vernal. At some point, the top part of the sign was lost. The motel had been closed for many years. Around 2009, the Ashley Trading Post opened there and covered up the sign with their own. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Moqui Indian Trading Post
Roosevelt, UT
The Moqui Indian Trading Post opened in 1969. There was originally a giant teepee in front of the building. The Indian statue was built by 1976 by Darrell Gardner. The building now houses Lee Nails but this statue remains. These photos are from 2012. For more, see this website. [map]

Indian Chief
Carpinteria, CA
This Indian Chief sculpture represents a Plains Indian. It was installed at Carpinteria High School in 1970. It was a gift to school from the graduating class of 1970. In 2008, there was an effort to remove the sculpture which many people find offensive. However, in 2009, the school decided to keep the mascot and the sports teams are still known as the Warriors. [map]

Indian
Bellville, OH
This Indian statue is located at the Buckeye Express Diner. The restaurant opened in 2009 and this statue appears to be modern.

Indian
Gothenburg, NE
Indian
Manitou Springs, CO
Ho-Chunk Indians
La Crosse, WI
This life-sized Indian sculpture in Gothenburg is made of barbed wire. It is located in front of the Sod House Museum. The sculpture was created by Merle Block. It has been here since at least 1998.

The Indian sculpture in Manitou Springs was produced by Steve Titus in 1989. It is made of Cor-Ten steel and represents a Ute Chief at a spring. [map]

The original sculpture of Ho-Chunk Indians playing lacrosse was installed in 1980. Later, it was replaced with a bronze version. There are now two of these statues in town. This sculpture was created by Elmer Petersen from Cor-Ten steel. In 2005, it was reported that a much larger, 20 foot tall, fiberglass version was being built. However, it doesn't seem like that ever happened. The sport of lacrosse was originally developed by Native Americans. For more, see this website. [map]

Indian Drummers
Sisseton, SD
These fiberglass Indian Drummers are 50 feet tall. They are part of the Vocational Technical Education building at Sisseton Wahpeton College. The building was constructed in 2004. It is octagon-shaped and meant to represent a drum. The building houses classrooms and offices. The roof is used for special events. The Indians are fiberglass and were produced by FAST. For more, see this website. [map]

More Indian Statues:
Indians (Twin Arrows, AZ) [vintage; gone]
retail store (Hialeah, FL)
The Great Spirit (Miami Beach, FL)
Chief Tomokie (Ormond Beach, FL)
Chief Pontiac (Pontiac, IL)
Ad Astra (Topeka, KS)
Keeper of the Plains (Wichita, KS)
Chief Pontiac (Pontiac, MI)
Chief Busticogan (Bigfork, MN)
Chief Wrinkle Meat (Jacobson, MN)
Hattadare Indian Nation (Bunnlevel, NC)
Chief Manuelito (Gallup, NM)
Chief Nemocilin (Zanesville, OH)
Chief Touch the Clouds (Edmond, OK)
Chief Joseph (Joseph, OR)
Kneeling Indian (Somerville, TX)
Moab, UT [gone]
Connecticut (Richmond, VA)
Chief Oshkosh: 1, 2 (Egg Harbor, WI)
International Fiberglass Indians (various locations)

Glooscap (Parrsboro, NS)
Glooscap (Truro, NS)
Indian Head (Indian Head, SK)

Indian Statues (page 1) Statues Main Page

RoadsideArchitecture.com  
Copyright. All photos at this website are copyrighted and may only be used with my consent. This includes posting them at Facebook, Pinterest, blogs, other websites, personal use, etc.

Tips & Updates. If you have suggestions about places that I haven't covered, historical info, or updates about places/things that have been remodeled or removed, I'd love to hear from you: roadarch@outlook.com.