email: roadarch@outlook.com
Loading

West Virginia Eateries

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Blossom Dairy Co.
Charleston, WV
The Blossom Dairy Co. operated about seven lunch counter locations in the area. This one opened in 1938. After a renovation in 1994, the restaurant reopened as the "Blossom Deli". The exterior and interior feature the original vitrolite glass tiles. The restaurant closed just after these photos were taken in 2012. It reopened briefly in 2016 and then closed again. [map]

Quarrier Diner
Charleston, WV
The Quarrier Diner opened in 1946. It was later known as Young's Food House. The restaurant closed in 1999 and the building was threatened with demolition for several years. It reopened as the Quarrier Diner in 2011. The projecting Young's sign was adapted at that time and the vitrolite exterior was restored by Tim Dunn. For more, see these websites: 1, 2 and 3. [map]

King Tut Drive-in
Beckley, WV
The King Tut Drive-in opened in the early 1940s. This pole sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. The restaurant still features car hops. For more, see this website. [map]

Sterling Drive-in
Welch, WV
The Sterling Drive-in opened in 1945. It features car hops. [map]

Captain's Creamery
Point Pleasant, WV
Dairy Castle [gone]
Morgantown, WV
The Captain's Creamery ice cream stand operates out of an adapted towboat pilothouse. [map]

The Dairy Castle opened in 2011. The building was originally a gas station. This photo is from 2012. By 2015, the business was closed and the building was for rent. The castle details were removed.

Poling's Dairy King
Charleston, WV
Poling's Dairy King has been owned by the Poling family since around 1982. I don't know what the name of the place was before that. For more, see this website. [map]

Dutch Pantry
Williamstown, WV
This Dutch Pantry restaurant opened in the 1970s. It is one of the chain's three surviving locations. The other two are in DuBois, PA and Clearfield, PA. The first Dutch Pantry opened in 1945 near Selingsgrove, PA. The chain expanded in the 1950s and 1960s with other locations in Pennsylvania and Florida. At its peak in 1983, there were 52 restaurants in 12 states. Many of the buildings have been adapted for other restaurants. For more, see this website. [map]

Eateries Main Page