email: roadarch@outlook.com
Loading

Dog n Suds Drive-ins (page 1)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

The Dog n Suds chain was established in 1953 in Champaign, IL. Some sources say that that location didn't actually open until 1954. That location is gone. At its peak in the mid-1970s, there were 600 locations in 38 states and Canada. Most of them were built in the Midwest. The company went bankrupt in the 1990s. Today, there are only about 13 Dog n Suds locations operating independently. A few of these are new builds. For more, see this website.

In terms of the signs, the early "Rover" signs (see below) did not have bulb arrows surrounding the signs. Some of the early post-Rover signs did not have these arrows either. There may have only been five of these Pluto-esque Rover signs made - all of them produced in 1954. There are believed to be only three left. The two others have been reworked. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2.

Dog n Suds Drive-in
Robinson, IL
This Dog n Suds Drive-in was built in 1953, making it the oldest location left. It was the second location in the chain. This "Rover" sign was the original version. The design looked enough like Disney's Pluto cartoon character that Dog n Suds was forced to redesign its signs. There were only ten of these signs made and this is the only one still used at an operating Dog n Suds. It is no longer lit at night. This location is for sale but it remains open. The owners are committed to selling the restaurant to someone that will keep it as a Dog n Suds. [map]

Carpet Gallery
Poplar Bluff, MO
The Carpet Gallery has a collection of neon signs. The owner bought this sign from the Dog n Suds in Lafayette, IN and had it restored in 2016. The sign is believed to be from the Evansville, IN location which is gone now. There is also another "post-Pluto" Dog N Suds sign at this store. It was originally installed in Marshfield, WI.

Dog n Suds Drive-in
Montague, MI
This Dog n Suds Drive-in opened in 1963 as the company's 316th location. This original building was remodeled in 2000. There are car hops and drive-thru service but no indoor seating. These photos are from 2011. The sign on the trailer shown in the top row above was sold to a collector on eBay for $9,000 in 2014. For more, see this website. [map]

Dog n Suds Drive-in
Norton Shores, MI
This Dog n Suds Drive-in was still operating in the 1970s. At some point, it became Kordecki's Kitchen. In 2007, the building was completely rebuilt and reopened as a Dog n Suds again. I believe the signs are replicas. The ice cream stand next door was also acquired and remodeled at the same time by the same owner. It is now known as the Twist n Shake. Does anyone know what the name of the ice cream stand was originally? For more, see this website. [map]

Dog n Suds Drive-in
Grayslake, IL
This Dog n Suds opened in 1964. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Dog n Suds Drive-in
Richmond, IL

Dog n Suds Drive-in
Tomahawk, WI

Dog n Suds Drive-in [gone]
Charleston, IL
The Dog n Suds Drive-in in Richmond opened in 1963. [map]

The Dog n Suds in Tomahawk also opened in 1963. This sign is obviously a later replacement. [map]

The Dog n Suds in Charleston was apparently built around the same time. This photo is from 2006. By 2013, the canopy and building were gone. A new auto parts store was built on the property.

Dog n Suds
page 2
Dog n Suds
page 3
Eateries Main Page