email: roadarch@outlook.com
Loading

Florida Art Deco & Streamline Moderne

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

City Hall
Miami, FL
Miami City Hall was built in 1934 as a terminal for Pan American Airways seaplane base. The frieze of winged globes and rising suns extends around the building. There was once a restaurant and cocktail lounge and promenade on the second floor frow where on could watch planes take-off and land. There were waiting rooms, a customs office, ticket counters, and a giant revolving globe.

In 1954, the building was transformed into Miami City Hall. Recent renovations to the interior have included restoring wall murals and other details.

former Publix
Orlando, FL
pawn shop
Tarpon Springs, FL
This vacant Orlando Publix supermarket was probably built in the late 1940s or early 1950s. This building is now occupied by First Class Cleaners.

This Tarpon Springs pawn shop is a former Publix. This building originally had a centrally located, L-shaped sign with a clock. In fact, I believe all the other locations built during this time period had this (see the Orlando building below). For more, see this website. [photo thanks Robby Delius]

former Publix
Lakeland, FL
former Publix
Winter Haven, FL
This former Lakeland Publix was built in 1956. The building most recently housed Affordable Auto Sales, a used car dealer. It appeared vacant when these photos were taken in 2009. The building was purchased by the County and now houses the County Tax Collector's office. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3.

This former Winter Haven Publix was built in 1940. The center tower has been lopped off. The building originally looked a lot more like the one in Lakeland. The very first Publix opened in Winter Haven in 1930. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3.

former Publix
St. Petersburg, FL
This St. Petersburg Publix was built in 1951 and remained in operation until 1982. This was the first Publix in St. Petersburg. It housed the Manhattan Hairstyling Academy when this photo was taken in 2009. By 2011, it was home to a Family Dollar store.

former Publix
St. Petersburg, FL
This St. Petersburg Publix has been converted into a Walgreens drug store.

Colonial Photo & Hobby
Orlando, FL
Publix Supermarket
Tampa, FL
Colonial Photo & Hobby opened in 1954. In 1958, they moved to this location which is a former Publix building. It was probably built in the 1940s. This sign and clock were there from the beginning and adapted by Colonial Photo. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2.

This Tampa Publix was built in 1995. It replaced a smaller Publix on the same site which was built in 1954. They gave the new building some Streamline Moderne styling.

More Publix Buildings:
Clermont, FL [vintage]
Haines City, FL
Lakeland, FL
Art Deco Publix buildings
Mid-Century Modern Publix buildings

Municipal Auditorium
Sarasota, FL
Clune Building
Miami Springs, FL
The Municipal Auditorium was built in 1937 as a WPA project. It was restored 1992-1997. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It now hosts a variety of events including antique shows, arts and crafts shows, banquets, computer shows, flea markets, film festivals, etc. For more, see this website.

The Clune Building, aka the Stadnik Building, was built in 1925 in a Deco Pueblo style. It was originally office space for civil engineer Daniel Clune, who developed Country Club Estates, Hialeah, and Opa-Locka. In 1946, the building was taken over by John Stanik who turned it into a Rexall Drug. There is a small pharmaceutical museum on the second floor. In 2001, an electrical fire caused extensive smoke and water damage to the first floor of the building. The Clune Building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. For more, see this website.

Carter's Park & King Pharmacy
Jacksonville, FL
Central Fire Station
Jacksonville, FL
The Carter's Park & King Pharmacy refers to the intersection of Park and King Streets where this building is located. This building was constructed in 1942 for the Lane Drug Company, a local chain with about 12 locations. Carter's has been here since at least the 1950s. There are now three Carter's - possibly all former Lanes.

The Central Fire Station is a 1944 remodeling of a 1901 building. It is now used as a residence.

former Winn-Dixie Supermarket
Jacksonville, FL
This former Winn-Dixie Supermarket seemed to still be in use as a supermarket in 2010. The tower and wedding cake entrance probably date this building to the late 1940s.

George Firestone Building
Tallahassee, FL
The George Firestone Building was built in 1936 as the Old Leon County Jail. It was designed by M. Leo Elliott. Today, the building is used as Department of State offices.

Deco building
Miami, FL
house
Miami, FL
This Deco building is on Flagler downtown and features a curved corner entrance and holes in the roof overhang. The building is now subdivided into several retail spaces and upstairs offices.

This Streamline Moderne house features many nautical elements typical of the style.

Sears Building
Miami, FL
Post Office
Miami Beach, FL
The Sears Building was a former Sears, Roebuck and company Department Store, built in 1929. Only the central tower remains and it has been incorporated into the Adrienne Arsht Center, a performing arts center. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3.

This Miami Beach Post Office was built in 1937. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3.

1200 Washington Avenue
Miami Beach, FL
Jerry's Famous Deli
Miami Beach, FL
The 1200 Washington Avenue building now houses the Hed Kandi Lounge. For more, see their website.

Jerry's Famous Deli was originally Hoffman's Cafeteria when it was built in 1939. It was designed by Henry Hohauser. In later years, it was the home of the Warsaw Ballroom (a gay nightclub), Club Ovo, and the China Club. Jerry's Famous Deli is a chain that started in CA and now has seven locations there and one other in FL. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5.

City Hall
Opa-Locka, FL
Harry Hurt Building
Opa-Locka, FL
park square
Opa-Locka, FL
Although not really Art Deco, I include this place which was built in the 1920s. Many movie theatres of the same period also incorporated Moorish elements.

Opa-Locka, a neighborhood NW of Miami, was the dream city of aviator Glenn Curtiss. The city was originally called Opatishawockalocka by the Tequesta Indians and Curtiss shortened the name (meaning "big island in the swamp covered with many trees"). The inspiration came from the book "1001 Arabian Tales" (another source says the 1924 film "The Thief of Baghdad") and Curtiss had 105 Moorish Revival buildings constructed between 1925-1928. The buildings were brightly painted with domes and elaborate minarets. Curtiss also built a zoo and a golf course. Sixteen residences and four commercial buildings are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The area is now economically depressed.

The City Hall Building was built in 1926. It was originally known as the Opa-locka Company Administration Building. It had fallen into disrepair over the years and was nearly demolished.

The Harry Hurt Building was also built in 1926. It was originally the Opa-locka Railroad Station, inspired by the "Tale of Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves." It is now an office building.

For more, see this website.

More FL Art Deco:
Miami Design Preservation League

Miami Beach Hotels Main Page