email: roadarch@outlook.com

Phoenix Art Deco & Streamline Moderne Buildings

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Hanny's
Phoenix, AZ
Hanny's, a clothing store for men and women, was built in 1947 for Vic Hanny. The building was modeled after the Museum of Modern Art in New York City which was built in 1939. The architects were Lester & Mahoney. The store closed in 1986. It remained vacant until 2008 when Hanny's Restaurant opened on the ground floor. These photos are from 2012 and 2017. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

General Motors Testing Laboratory
Phoenix, AZ
The General Motors Testing Laboratory was built in 1937. It served that purpose until 1953. After that, the building housed Imperial School Photography. I believe it has been vacant since 2009. [map]

former Bragg's Pie Factory
Phoenix, AZ
The Bragg's Pie Factory building was built in 1946. It was initially a wholesale company. In 1947, the business added a retail store here. Freestanding letters spelling out "Pies Bragg's Pies" were installed on the building's corner "shelf". The neon sign was probably added in the 1950s. Bragg's Pie Factory closed in 1962. In 2004, the building was restored and adapted for a cafe, galleries, and other businesses. It now houses the Barrio Cafe. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Bragg's Pie Factory sign remains. [map]

Professional Building
Phoenix, AZ
The Professional Building was built in 1931. It housed the Valley National Bank on the ground floor. In 2007, the building was being adapted for a hotel. However, that project was scrapped and the building went into foreclosure in 2010. The building was still vacant when these photos were taken in 2012. Since 2016, the building has housed a Hilton Garden Inn. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Arizona State Fair
Phoenix, AZ
The Arizona State Fair grandstand and restroom building appear to be from the 1920s or 1930s. [map]

Arizona Biltmore Hotel
Phoenix, AZ
The Arizona Biltmore Hotel opened in 1929. The architect was Albert Chase McArthur. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Winters Building
Phoenix, AZ
The Winters Building was built in 1931. The building now houses The Counter restaurant. [map]

Maricopa County Court House & Phoenix City Hall
Phoenix, AZ
Maricopa County Court House and Phoenix City Hall was designed by Edward F. Neild and built in 1928. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. For more, see this website. [map]

Luhrs Tower
Phoenix, AZ
Luhrs Tower was designed by Trost & Trost and built in 1929. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

New Windsor Hotel
Phoenix, AZ
The New Windsor Hotel was built in 1893 as the 6th Avenue Hotel. It was renamed the Windsor Hotel in 1925. When the hotel was remodeled and additions were made in 1935, it was renamed the New Windsor Hotel. For more, see this website. [map]

Arizona
Art Deco Buildings
Art Deco Buildings
Main Page