email: roadarch@outlook.com

Horses & Other Equines Statues (page 1)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Giant Rocking Horse
Winchendon, MA
The original Giant Rocking Horse was built in 1912 by Morton Converse, the owner of the big toy company in town. The 12 foot tall grey hobby horse was named "Clyde" and made from nine pine trees. It was a copy of the company's #12 rocking horse. In 1914, the statue was entered in the local parade to celebrate the town's 150th anniversary. Winchendon was considered the toy production capital of America and nicknamed "Toy Town". The statue was moved to the railroad station for about 20 years. Then in 1934, it was moved to the Toy Town Tavern for about 30 years. After that, the statue was put in storage and fell into disrepair. In 1988, a new 12 foot tall horse was produced, using the original as a model. This statue was named "Clyde II" and put in the covered pavilion where it is today. For more, see this website. [map]

More Rocking Horses:
Innisfil, ON

Trojan Horse
Wisconsin Dells, WI
Caesars Palace
Atlantic City, NJ
The Trojan Horse is a 65 foot tall wooden horse with strobe light eyes. He was built in 1998. He stands in front of the Mt. Olympus Water & Theme Park. I believe this is the go-kart track going through his belly. There was also a Giant Trojan here. For more, see this website. [map]

Caesars Palace opened in 1979. This fountain statue represents Caesar in a triumphal chariot with four horses. [map]

Golden Chariot
Sealy, TX
The Golden Chariot was previously located in Atlanta, GA. It has been located at IRC Surplus since around 2009. It depicts the Archangel Michael and seven golden horses which look more like unicorns. The sculpture is made of bronze. It was originally painted gold. [map]

Garden City
Party Store [gone]
Garden City, MI
Hy-Flash Beer & Ice
Oregon, OH
Penn Tavern
Morrisville, PA
The Garden City Party Store featured this Budweiser Clydesdale installed on a trailer. These statues were produced by the DWO Fiberglass Co. of Sparta, WI. This photo is from 2010. By 2011, the statue was gone. [photo thanks Mark Comstock]

The Budweiser Clydesdale at Hy-Flash Beer & Ice is installed on the roof. It is from the same mold as the one in Garden City. [map]

Another Budweiser Clydesdale is installed over the entrance of Penn Tavern. [map]

Draft Horses
Hesperia, CA
Horse
Morongo Valley, CA
These two Draft Horses are located at Main Street Collectors which produces and sells all kinds of fiberglass statues.

The Horse in Morongo Valley is located at Willie Boy's Saloon. It looks similar to the warrior horses installed in front of P.F. Chang's restaurants but I can't find a match. [map]

Horsemen's
Headquarters [gone]
Salina, KS
Thoroughbred Lounge
Louisville, KY
Horse
Las Cruces, NM
The horse at Horsemen's Headquarters appeared to be an Arabian. This photo is from 2010. By 2018, the horse and business were gone.

The Thoroughbred Lounge features two of these horse and jockey pairs on the roof. [map]

The Horse statue in Las Cruces is installed in front of a closed saddlery shop. The sign pole appears to be from a former Phillips 66 station. [map]

Horse
Quapaw, OK
Horse
Grand Rapids, MI
Horse
Nashville, TN
This Horse statue in Quapaw is located at an unidentified horse ranch. [map]

This Horse statue in Grand Rapids is located inside the Grand Rapids Public Museum.

This Horse statue in Nashville was installed on a trailer at the BP gas station next to the Music Valley Wax Museum of the Stars. These photos are from 2010. Shortly after that, the statue was moved to a nearby Citgo station (now an Exxon station). This Tennessee Walking Horse statue was sculpted by Michael McCracken for International Fiberglass around 1964. Now stationary, the horse's head moved up and down and its right front foot stamped the ground (see this video). At least one of these statues was displayed with a rider on a billboard for Tennessee Walker Whisky [photo thanks Terry Nelson]. I don't know if the rider was optional or if that was the only statue that had one. Another one of these horses in Manchester, TN has been located at Interstate Liquor since 1972. The horse's head and foot still move. The owner believes that there were four of these statues made in 1971.

There is also another one of these horses at the Frugal MacDoogal liquor store in Nashville, TN. It is believed that this photo showing one of these horses with three legs has been repaired and is the one located at Frugal MacDoogal. The fourth statue was in Berry Hill, TN. The exact location is unknown. It was in poor condition and may have been destroyed.

Equine Gatherings [gone]
Metamora, MI
Horse and Cow
Skokie, IL
This horse statues shown in this row are the most common. The model was first produced by Prewitt Fiberglass Animals in 1958 to help sell his fiberglass trailers. The trailers never caught on but the horses were very popular. In 1961, the statues were selling for $295. They were shipped unpainted so that the owner could choose add their preferred color and markings. Prewitt sold thousands of these statues. Around 1963, International Fiberglass purchased Prewitt's company and began using the same molds.

Equine Gatherings, a tack shop, featureed a handprint-covered fiberglass horse. This photo is from 2008. By 2016, the horse was gone. [photo thanks Mark Comstock]

This fiberglass Horse and Cow stand in front of Levy Venture Management. Does anyone know more about them? [map]

Horse
Charles Town, WV
Horses
Merrill, WI
This Horse in Charles Town is installed on top of the porte-cochere of the Turf Motel. [map]

These Horses in Merrill are installed at a ranch and/or dairy farm. [map]

Horses
Prescott, AZ
Horse and Carriage
San Jose, CA
These two Horses in Prescott are installed on the roof of Savoini's Western Wear. The store opened in 1963. The statues have been there since at least 2008 and might even have been installed in the 1960s. [map]

This Horse and Carriage in San Jose was installed on the roof of the Normandin Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram dealership in 1969. For more, see this website. [map]

Centerville Western Wear [gone]
Oak Grove, OR
Hoggan's
Western Shop
Rupert, ID
Green Horse
Night Club
Inglewood, CA
Centerville Western Wear featured this Palomino Quarter Horse on the roof. By 2018, the store had closed and the statue was gone.

Hoggan's Western Shop opened in 1956. The store closed in 1976. The business continues at the same location as Hoggan’s Custom Canvas & Leather now. This sign and statue remain installed over the store. [map]

The Green Horse Night Club opened in 1958. [map]

Jedlicka's Saddlery
Santa Barbara, CA
Jedlicka's Saddlery
Los Olivos, CA
Christesen's Western
& English Saddlery
Pleasanton, CA
Lamas Western Wear
San Jose, CA
The horse statue at Jedlicka's Saddlery in Santa Barbara originally had a saddle and bridle. The horse at the Los Olivos location has a more modern looking horse statue. Both statues are wheeled in and out of the store each day. In 2019, it was announced that the Santa Barbara location would be closing. [Santa Barbara map]; [Los Olivos map]

This horse statue at Christesen's Western & English Saddlery is also located on a base with wheels for outside daytime display. [map]

This horse statue at Lamas Western Wear is stationed in front of the building during the day. For more, see this website. [map]

Horses & Equines
(page 2)
Horses & Equines
(page 3)
Giant Animals Main Page