email: roadarch@outlook.com

Giant Elephants (page 2)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Mister Ed's Elephant Museum
Orrtanna, PA
Mister Ed's Elephant Museum opened in 1975 with Ed Gotwalt's elephant-related collection. In addition to the elephant museum, there are peanuts, candy and gifts for sale. A full-sized elephant statue, "Commander Robert Eli", sprays water from his trunk into a pond. Another elephant statue, "Miss Ellie Phant", talks, blinks her eyes, and moves her ears. In 2010, a fire destroyed the museum. However, it was rebuilt and reopened in 2011. These two outdoor statues were not affected by the fire. Two new elephant statues have have been added. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Elephant [gone]
Norfolk, VA
Elephant
Natural Bridge, VA
Elephant House
Toronto, ON
The Elephant in Norfolk stood in front of PETA, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, headquarters when this photo was taken in 2009. The statue depicts a shackled baby elephant. It was created to protest the treatment of circus elephants. I believe the statue is from 2002. The statue is moved around the country to various cities. In 2013, it was on display in Washington, DC.

The Elephant in Natural Bridge stands in front of the Natural Bridge Zoo. The statue was created in 1987 by Mark Cline who lives nearby. For more, see this website. [map]

The Elephant House is nicknamed for the white elephant which stands on its front lawn. The statue was created in 1999 by Matt Donovan. It has been at this location since 2003. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

White Elephant Surplus Store
Spokane, WA
White Elephant Surplus Store
Spokane Valley, WA
2008: 2016:
The White Elephant Surplus Store has two locations. The original location opened in Spokane in 1946. It features an elephant statue on the roof and a coin-operated, ride-able elephant in front of the store. [map]

The Spokane Valley location opened in 1976. It features a larger elephant statue on the roof. It was restored in 2009. At that time, the elephant's trunk was repositioned to hold a ball. [map]

Pink Elephant [gone]
Brandon, FL
Elephant
Huntington Park, CA
Elephants
Marshalltown, IA
The Pink Elephant in Brandon stood in a vacant lot next to a George Washington statue when this photo was taken in 2009. Sometime after 2012, the camel was repainted purple and Washington's clothes were painted yellow. The pink elephant was also repainted. The statues were installed around 1974 when the Shelton's plant nursery was here. The elephant statue was originally painted grey. In 2004, the nursery closed and demolished but these statues remained. In 2013, the statues were sold to a man in Tampa, FL. They will be displayed in his yard next to a river. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2.

The Elephant in Huntington Park is located at Pilgrim Fence. [map]

The Elephants and alligator statues in Marshalltown are installed in a fountain in front of First Rate Real Estate. [map]

Aurora Flower Shop
Seattle, WA
2008: 2015:
This elephant statue was built around 1932 for the Braida & Co. tile store. In 1946, the elephant was sold and moved to the Aurora Flower Shop. The flower shop closed in 2004. In 2007, Aurora Rents moved in to the building. The statue was restored in 2009. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Tommy
West Yarmouth, MA
Tommy, a concrete elephant statue, was created by T.J. Neil around 1979. The statue is about ten feet tall and has a trunk in the shape of Cape Cod. It is installed next to India Fashion. [map]

Rocky's Liquor Mart
Wildwood, NJ
Pink Elephant
Simi Valley, CA
This pink elephant is installed on the roof of Rocky's Liquor Mart. It may have come from a mini golf in Pennsylvania. There is a twin statue which was located on the Wildwood Fun Pier. It is now in a private collection. [map]

The Pink Elephant in Simi Valley is installed on a pole in a residential neighborhood. It was created by Chris Budzin who has produced several flying pigs. [map]

Pink Elephant [gone]
Tucson, AZ
Elephant
Novato, CA
Elephant
Riverside, CA
Elephant
Oak Harbor, WA
This Pink Elephant was installed in front of the Treasure Chest used furniture store. This photo is from 2012. By 2015, the store had closed and this statue was gone. The business used to be known as the Pink Elephant. There was also a larger elephant statue there then.

The Elephant in Novato is installed on the roof of the Dollhouses, Trains & More store. The statue has been there since at least 2011. [map]

This Elephant statue in Riverside is located next to the Big Top Restaurant at the Castle Park amusement park.

The Elephant statue is made of rebar and fiberglass. It was originally located at a business in Greenbank, WA that sold statues of animals and people. When the store closed, the elephant was moved to Freeland, WA and later to Whidbey Island. In 2013, it was moved to Dugualla Bay Farms in Oak Harbor. The tusks were broken off from children hanging from them. These photos are from 2015. I don't know if the statue is still there since the Google Street View map from later that year shows it missing. [map]

Lucy the Elephant
Margate City, NJ
Lucy the Elephant was built in 1881 by James V. Lafferty, a real estate developer. The 65 foot tall elephant was created as a tourist attraction and contained his office and a restaurant. The howdah, a covered passenger platform on Lucy's back, served as an observation deck. Lafferty had planned to build giant fish and birds as well.

Lucy was modeled after P.T. Barnum's circus elephant, Jumbo. She is made of wood, concrete and sheet metal. It is not known how Lucy got her name. Technically speaking, she is not anatomically correct since only male elephants have tusks.

In 1887, Lafferty ran into financial trouble and sold Lucy. The new owners purchased the minaret-topped Turkish Pavilion from the 1876 Centennial Exhibition in Philadelphia and reconstructed it behind Lucy. That building was converted into the "Elephant Hotel". Later, the owners began using Lucy as a tavern. Lucy was badly damaged by a flood in 1962 and became so dilapidated that she was condemned. She was donated to the City of Margate. When the property on which she was located was sold to developers, Lucy was nearly demolished. She was moved two blocks away to this location in 1970 and restored. There is a museum inside the structure with maritime artifacts and items pertaining to Lucy's history. Lucy is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

Another giant elephant, the Light of Asia, was built in Cape May, NJ in 1884. This 40 foot tall elephant was modeled after Lucy by another real estate developer. It was not maintained and demolished in 1900. For more, see this website.

In 1884, Lafferty began building the Colossal Elephant in Coney Island, NY. Lafferty went heavily into debt during its construction and sold Lucy to stay afloat. The Coney Island elephant cost $250,000 to build and stood 125 feet tall. The structure had 31 hotel rooms. One of her legs housed a cigar store, another had a diorama, and the two others contained circular staircases. The elephant offered visitors views of the ocean through slits in the elephant's eyes. At night, searchlights flashed from her eyes. This elephant was advertised as the 8th Wonder of the World. However, it was destroyed by fire in 1896.

The French liked Lafferty's elephants so much that they built their own enormous elephant pavilion at the Universal Exhibition of 1889. It was later moved to the Moulin Rouge where you could see belly dancers inside. This elephant was torn down when the Moulin Rouge was rebuilt in 1906.

More Elephant Statues:
Tuscaloosa, AL
Gainesville, GA
Leon, IA
Rochester, IL
Villa Park, IL
Indianapolis, IN [gone]
Lake Station, IN
Guthrie, KY
Medford, MA
Belfast, ME
Cozad, NE
Somers, NY: 1, 2
Johnson City, TN
Pioneer, TN [gone]
Wheeling, WV
St. Thomas, ON
Camberley, England
Greece

Woolly Mammoth
Williamsburg, MI
This Woolly Mammoth sculpture is located in front of Guntzviller's Taxidermy and Spirit of the Woods Museum. She is named Morgana. Her body is covered with steel wool and scrap metal. A smaller Woolly Mammoth, her son, is named Joseph and is located in at the Mistwood Golf Course in Lake Ann, MI. These sculptures were part of Artprize 2010 in Grand Rapids. They were created by Richard Schemm. These photos are from 2011. They are for sale but were still there in 2015. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Woolly Mammoths
Cincinnati, OH
These Woolly Mammoth statues were previously installed in front of the Museum of Natural History in Cincinnati. The male and female mammoths were created in 1980 as part of the museum's Ice Age exhibit. The baby mammoths were created soon after that. In 2001, the statues were moved to several locations around town. They are now installed in front of the Cincinnati Museum Center's Geier Collections & Research Center. For more, see this website. [map]

More Woolly Mammoth Statues:
Hysham, MT
DeRuyter, NY
Hot Springs, SD
Kyle, SK
Whitehouse, YT

Mastodons
Aurora, IL
This Mastodon statue and slide are located at Phillips Park. Mastodon bones were discovered on the site in 1934. I believe the statue and slide were installed in 2000.

More Mastodon Statues:
Sharonville, OH

Elephants (page 1) Giant Animals Main Page