email: roadarch@outlook.com

Las Vegas Signs (page 4)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Monterey Motel
Las Vegas, NV
Rummel Motel [gone]
Las Vegas, NV
Sombrero Cafe
Las Vegas, NV
The Monterey Motel opened as the Monterey Lodge Motel. There was a different sign there then. This sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. The motel was demolished around 2020 but the sign is still there as of 2022. [map]

The Rummel Motel was built in 1951. This sign was probably built then. It has been reworked quite a bit since then. The bulb circle with stars was originally installed of an arrow panel which was gone by the late 1950s. That part of the sign is no longer lit at night. By 2019, the motel had been demolished but the sign was still there. By 2020, the sign was gone. It is now owned by the City of Las Vegas. The sign will be restored and displayed around 2023 on Las Vegas Blvd. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2.

The Sombrero Cafe opened in 1950 and closed in 2014. For more, see this website. [map]

Trader Bill's
Las Vegas, NV
Tod Motor Hotel
Las Vegas, NV
2006: 2014: 2006: 2014: 2022:
Trader Bill's was a Western style leather and gift shop. The store moved to this location on Fremont St. by the 1950s. This sign is probably from the 1960s. The sign was originally painted dark blue with yellow letters. The red paint has faded to reveal the original color underneath. In 2017, the neon and bulbs were removed and the sign was adapted with backlit plastic letters for a White Castle. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [first photo thanks Glenda Campbell] [map]

The Tod Motor Hotel opened in 1962. This sign must be from then. It was originally painted yellow and black. The motel had closed by 2015 but the sign is still there. For more, see this website. [map]

Blue Angel Motel
Las Vegas, NV

2006:

2014:
2022:
The Blue Angel Motel was built 1957 and had several signs. A double arch with freestanding letters marks the entrance to the motel's parking lot. There was also a pole sign that stands about 40 feet tall. The motel's most famous sign featured an angel statue which is roughly 15 feet tall. The revolving angel towered about 20 feet over the motel's roof. The sign was designed by Betty Willis who designed many local signs including the Welcome to Las Vegas sign. When it was installed, the angel was criticized for being too busty. Some believe that the statue was modeled after Marilyn Monroe. Others believe it was inspired by Disney movies such as "Cinderella" and "Peter Pan". In 2017, the statue was removed for restoration. It is now owned by the City of Las Vegas.

Just after these 2014 photos were taken, new freestanding letters spelling out "Night Club" were added to the arches where the "Blue Angel" letters were previously. The sign panels at the base of the statue were removed. The motel was demolished in 2015. In 2017, the Blue Angel statue was removed. By 2018, all of the signs were gone. The statue and pole sign with the bulb arrow were restored by YESCO and installed near the site of the former motel. The statue was returned to her original design with wings, a belt, and no halo or star on the end of her wand. The pole sign was very similar to the one at the Blue Onion Drive-in next door which opened just a few months before the motel. The Blue Onion arrow sign was on Fremont while the Blue Angel arrow sign was on Charleston. I don't know when the drive-in closed and that sign was removed. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6. [map]

Vegas Vickie
Las Vegas, NV
Vegas Vickie was installed just across the street from Vegas Vic . The sign was designed by Chuck Barnard of Ad-Art and installed in 1980 for the Glitter Gulch Casino. The sign is 76 feet tall. Vickie's leg was supposed to kick out over Fremont Street but that stopped working in the first year. In 2017, the sign was removed when the property was being redeveloped. In 2020, the panel with Vickie was restored and installed inside of the Circa Resort & Casino. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3.

Golden Goose Casino
Las Vegas, NV

2014:

2022:
The Golden Goose Casino opened in 1974 and closed in 1980. The goose statue originally revolved. The sign remained although the space below housed a "gentlemen's club." The goose statue was shaded under the Fremont Street Experience canopy. In 2017, the building was demolished. The Goose statue was saved and has been installed downtown. The revolving mechanism has been restored. I don't know if the neon sign was saved. For more, see this website. [map]

Golden Gate Hotel & Casino
Las Vegas, NV
The Golden Gate Hotel & Casino opened as a casino in 1955 in the Hotel Sal Sagev (Las Vegas spelled backwards). I believe the vertical sign is from then. Its letters rock back and forth. By 1974, the hotel and casino had been renamed the Golden Gate. [map]

Fitzgeralds Casino & Hotel [gone]
Las Vegas, NV
Fitzgeralds Casino & Hotel opened originally as the "Sundance" around 1980. The Sundance was designed by Martin Stern, Jr. It became Fitzgeralds in 1987. The sign featured a spilling pot of gold and a rainbow. The original sign and 34-foot-tall leprechaun (aka "Mr. O'Lucky") were removed in 2002 and taken to the Neon Museum. In 2004, Mr. O' Lucky was badly damaged in a fire. In 2012, Fitzgeralds closed and the casino was rebranded as "The D Las Vegas". The signs were removed. Some of the coins were saved by The Neon Museum. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7. [daytime photo thanks Glenda Campbell]

Las Vegas
(page 1)
Las Vegas
(page 2)
Las Vegas
(page 3)
Las Vegas
(page 5)
Las Vegas
(page 6)
Neon Museum Neonopolis Reno Nevada

Main Signs Page